South Wales Lowloaders from 1960s / 70s

Discuss heavy haulage here

rdnicholls
Flag: Wales

Re: South Wales Lowloaders from 1960s / 70s

Post #21 by rdnicholls » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:21 pm

This was they,re low loader truck covering the south wales valleys in 1978,mainly loaded with 22 and 30 rb's, as well as many cat d8h's.don't know what this trailer is doing though..Rich..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KWDLDK

Post #22 by KWDLDK » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 pm

interesting

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #23 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:42 pm

rdnicholls wrote:This was they,re low loader truck covering the south wales valleys in 1978,mainly loaded with 22 and 30 rb's, as well as many cat d8h's.don't know what this trailer is doing though..Rich..

Hi Richard,
Ryans as you say were best known in the South Wales Valleys for their coal reclamation business. We were used to seeing their Scammell low loaders carrying 22 & 30 RB excavators and D8s throughout the valleys, and their tippers, (mostly AEC & some Dodges), carrying reclaimed coal. They also opperated in Belgium.

A good friend and neigbour of mine Brian Pile became their transport mannager after Ryans took over the E. Pile tipper and dump truck fleet. (see post Fodens in South Wales in Dumpers) This fleet was allways green in colour.

What is less well known is that there was another company Ryan Transport, this was mannaged by Tony Harfoot following Ryans take over of Harfoot Haulage. In the 80s I ran Leyland Octopus's ,Bison and Constructor tippers and did a lot of general tipper haulage for them.

The Maggy in your pic. is part of the Ryan Transport fleet and would have been painted in red like the rest of that fleet at the time, though they later addopted black cabs with white sign writing.
Fred.

rdnicholls

Post #24 by rdnicholls » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:55 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:
rdnicholls wrote:This was they,re low loader truck covering the south wales valleys in 1978,mainly loaded with 22 and 30 rb's, as well as many cat d8h's.don't know what this trailer is doing though..Rich..

Hi Richard,
Ryans as you say were best known in the South Wales Valleys for their coal reclamation business. We were used to seeing their Scammell low loaders carrying 22 & 30 RB excavators and D8s throughout the valleys, and their tippers, (mostly AEC & some Dodges), carrying reclaimed coal. They also opperated in Belgium.

A good friend and neigbour of mine Brian Pile became their transport mannager after Ryans took over the E. Pile tipper and dump truck fleet. (see post Fodens in South Wales in Dumpers) This fleet was allways green in colour.

What is less well known is that there was another company Ryan Transport, this was mannaged by Tony Harfoot following Ryans take over of Harfoot Haulage. In the 80s I ran Leyland Octopus's ,Bison and Constructor tippers and did a lot of general tipper haulage for them.

The Maggy in your pic. is part of the Ryan Transport fleet and would have been painted in red like the rest of that fleet at the time, though they later addopted black cabs with white sign writing.
Fred.

Hi fred, I can remember one of the scammell low loaders at tredegar unloading a D8 it had a knock out back axle,no wonder they side loaded them after seeing the work involved.I was only a young boy at that time and spent many hours watching and riding in the d8's during the school holidays,when i look back it was a very dangerous place to be with deep slurry lagoons,machinery,high voltage electricity everywhere and me wandering around..thanks for you're post, good information there..Rich..

rdnicholls

Post #25 by rdnicholls » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Ryan Scammell at the Watford factory
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rdnicholls

Post #26 by rdnicholls » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Not a lowloader but will go with the other Ryan Transport Maggie on here,although i never saw this on the road, borrowed this off the net so not my photo.

rdnicholls

Post #27 by rdnicholls » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Found these low loaders on the Net so not my pictures,they may have been posted before.Rich.

rdnicholls

Post #28 by rdnicholls » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Found these low loaders on the Net so not my pictures,they may have been posted before.Rich.

bill murphy

Post #29 by bill murphy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:18 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi,
A couple more old South Wales lowloaders and an interesting pic. of a Thornycroft leaving The Old Chepstow Bridge.
Fred
Birds Mamoth Major.jpg
Wynns Guy Big J.jpg
Fairfield Thornycroft at Old Chepstow Bridge.jpg
JD Volvo.jpg

hi there I was looking at the Volvo lowbed of JD transport and I knew the driver Ray Fry,, the" Sarge" he was a good buddy of mine we had a few beers in the corporation hotel in Newport,
good pic's keep them coming, bill,

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #30 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Here's a story in pictures.
1) The gearbox in Tony Morgans Scania has given up.
Scania_gearbox.1.jpg

2) Barry Cossletts DAF to the rescue.
Scania_gearbox.2.jpg

3) Scania off to Telford Commercials for repair.
Scania gearbox.3.jpg

Return to “Heavy Haulage”