New drivers CPC

Discuss heavy haulage here

Topic author
bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: New drivers CPC

Post #21 by bigkit » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:21 pm

I've started something here! ;)

The answer is to take one step at a time. My view is bollox to the stupid firms who demand ludicrous H/S. :arrrrgh:

If everone said NAH and refused to work there some rationalisation must come into it. Lets face it these firms need to work to earn. Effectively boycott or strike on those stupid ones.

As for the driver CPC (waste of time load of old bollox)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We SHOULD stand together and dont do it! Thats what the french would do. :lol: But we are only ever united in voice and not action I'm affraid. :doh:

I HATE ALL OF IT...................but I love my work. :dizzy: Try and live outside the box. Much of the h/s crap only applies if you're on the big sites. Give'em a miss and have a happy life!

Good luck :thumbup:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #22 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:54 pm

You get my vote Clive :claphands: its like I say its no good moaning it needs lots of folk to screw the system by saying NO!!
And balls to the robbing insurance companies who back all of this crap we have a world going bankrupt because there is no industry except crap like this :evil:

Lets face it there are some very competent and able operators and truck drivers who come on this forum and they don't need any rotten stinking safety ticket or license because they already have what they need and what they are paid for and thats called EXPERIENCE!!

This country is really barmy anyway better get off my soap box before I have a heart attack (too much beer, chocolate and things that wind me up) :lol:

Jeremy

martyn williams

Post #23 by martyn williams » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:00 am

bigkit wrote:I've started something here! ;)

The answer is to take one step at a time. My view is bollox to the stupid firms who demand ludicrous H/S. :arrrrgh:

If everone said NAH and refused to work there some rationalisation must come into it. Lets face it these firms need to work to earn. Effectively boycott or strike on those stupid ones.

As for the driver CPC (waste of time load of old bollox)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We SHOULD stand together and dont do it! Thats what the french would do. :lol: But we are only ever united in voice and not action I'm affraid. :doh:

I HATE ALL OF IT...................but I love my work. :dizzy: Try and live outside the box. Much of the h/s crap only applies if you're on the big sites. Give'em a miss and have a happy life!

Good luck :thumbup:

Well said :thumbup:
Martyn

Topic author
bigkit

Post #24 by bigkit » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:35 am

:eh: What I also cant fathom is why would you work for the big companies when........

1. They want to pay f/all :?
2. They make ridiculous demands on you your men re H/S and make you life a nightmare!
(when it suits them anything goes of course!) :shock:
3. And they take an age to pay if at all, and query the bill to defer payment! :(

Working for them is just not worth it! :doh:

Cynical or what! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimmy 130

Post #25 by jimmy 130 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:27 am

I Agree 100% with you clive. Its all aloud of bollox to get more money off us. Tests for this that and everything. Makes my blood boil when i watch that show about H.E Services on a friday nite. Some of the things the operators get up to is madness. Not much Health and safety there.
CPC (complete pure crap) Wasted a sunny saturday last year attending one of these. Im due to do my 2nd part anytime soon. Same for digger test Just because you go for a day and some retired plant operator tells you how to climb in and out of the machine. Does that make you a good operator. Makes no sense at all. (rant over) :dizzy:

Topic author
bigkit

Post #26 by bigkit » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Those twats on the telly do just that.....make good telly...........but they damage our industry and the proffessional ones amongst us!

It's like cowboy drivers instead of cowboy builders. :thumbdown: Someone ought to make a proper documentary showing what you can do with experience, skill, finness and an understanding of the machine and the task you're doing!!!

There's nothing worse than builders trying to be groundworkers, or even demo boys!!!!!! :doh:

martyn williams

Post #27 by martyn williams » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Saw that programme last night, I think it gives people the wrong impression.Just TV producers putting on crap to make it interesting when the viewers they are targeting that programme at know different and are being insulted.See those two JCB collide :dizzy:
Programmes like this don't do the plant game and people working in the industry any good at all :thumbdown:
I saw a person "passed" to drive a forklift.He was hopeless,had no co ordination and caused damage on any job he was put on.But he was deemed competant to drive a forklift :shock:
Martyn

Desert Driver

Post #28 by Desert Driver » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi boys
I would just like to say a lot of this CPC HSC thing is "when it suits" This week I was asked to go to a electric substation in Stoke on Trent with a 20ton machine to lift two steel beams. They had tried with a 17m tele handler and managed to tip it on its side against some trees. Anyway off I went with the lowloader a panic job anytime this afternoon,just get your foot down. So arrived on site dropped ramps and tracked off. Leave it there driver and come with me for induction. How long will that take I said well usually 1/2 day but we will compress it to a couple of hours. Well I said it's 3 30 now got to leave at 530 because my hours will be up so I will go and reload it now. No don't do that just sign here to say we have done it I declined so he said never mind just do what I say. by the way have you got a ticket to drive the machine, yes I said it's in the truck, OK that will do, are those overalls fire proof. No. O never mind just stay in the machine. Right track over here o dear we haven't got a shackle we will thread a chain through the lifting eye and fasten the straps to that. At this point I'd had enough I said how long are the steel girders to be lifted, 10m he said So 10m plus slings the machine was nearly 2m short. Nobody had even thought to ask how high the machine would lift. Turned the machine around loaded up and returned. How do these agents / safety officers get these jobs. This was all in a "live" area for a major contractor working for Siemans. Idiots the lot of them.

Regards Keith

martyn williams

Post #29 by martyn williams » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:58 am

That just sums things up Keith :dizzy:
These people go on Nebosh courses and other rubbish.They have no understanding of the practicalities of the job.Its just a tick box exercise.I had the same the other week on a job.Was told that there would be a two hour induction,then no induction packs available,then told don't worry about it we will skip that.Then told to park my van in a carpark well away from the job :dizzy:
The job took 15 minutes,then my van got blocked in because the access road was blocked from the carpark.Ended up with a late finnish. :dizzy:
I had a go at our safety manager that how come they are more concerned about painting tarmac to outline a walking route to a carpark,when other places of work with much higher risks are ignored. :dizzy:
What is going on !!!!!
Martyn
I was a union safety rep for 15 years and was frustrated that if I brought up a valid safety point like poor lighting etc,it was not dealt with because it cost money.You will find these safety managers walking around with brand new high vis on,not a scrap of dirt on them ,but the people that need the equipment have to beg steal or borrow wet weather gear etc.Was told once that there were no safety boots this month because the company credit card was maxxed out for this month and could we wait till next month :dizzy:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #30 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:10 am

I think Martyn's just summed it all up nicely as a Health & Safety Manager which is part of my job that I do NOT want but had no choice in the matter (it was that or the dole queue), this is part of the problem that I face in having to carry out risk assessments and permits to work for other skilled workers jobs that I have no idea of the risks or dangers :think:

As one simple example how can I assess an electrical risk when I am not a skilled electrician, its totally barmy and is a constant worry to me because if somebody has an fatal accident then I am the first bloke the HSE will be speaking to and I really don't want this.

If you are skilled in any job then you as an individual you have to be responsible for your own actions, as for younger lads well experience is something that comes with age and years of doing a job, thats why you pay higher wages for skilled men, furthermore you cannot wrap youngsters up in cotton wool they need to get hands on experience and that will inevitably mean that they are subject to some risk.

Jeremy

Return to “Heavy Haulage”