Weight distribution

Discuss heavy haulage here

Topic author
Dah
Flag: Great Britain

Weight distribution

Post #1 by Dah » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi

With modern low loaders (say a Nooteboom 5 axel), roughly what percentage of the load weight is on the tractor chassis?

Just wondering because I've seen similar weight loads on the same trailer recently - with and without a dolly.

Thanks
Dave

bigkit

Re: Weight distribution

Post #2 by bigkit » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:43 pm

The load weight and where it falls depends on how and what you are loading. Excavators with the counterweight over the neck put most of the weight on the tractor, some cranes and piling rigs for example put the weight towards the back. A standard drive axle is rated at about 10.5 tonnes, CAT 1 to 2 can increase it to 12.5 tonnes giving a double drive outfit about 25 tonnes gross on the rear bogie and now around 9 tonnes on the front steer, so the gross weight of the tractor can be around 34/35 tonnes. Not sure under CAT 3 whether the drive can be increased to 16 tonnes if it has the rating. Tag axles and mid lift arrangements will knock down your carrying capacity.

Trailer axle weights can be increased to 16 tonnes per axle in CAT 3 if the axle is rated for it, but more often most everyday heavy haul trailers have 12 tonne rated axles or there abouts. some Pendle axles can carry upto 25 tonnes I believe but not sure if these are legal on the highway in the country as I have no experience of them.

I hope this helps. TC will no doubt fill in the gaps and correct me where I'm wrong! :lol:

Topic author
Dah

Post #3 by Dah » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks very much - great information.

I've been watching the Supertruckers series following Kings and it's an interesting look into heavy haulage.

Dave

bigkit

Post #4 by bigkit » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Basically the truck will have a design weight for the axles and a gross train weight. In special types add more axles to keep within the permitted design weights until you reach your maximum train weight.

Topic author
Dah

Post #5 by Dah » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:49 pm

What normally happens with the design to give a higher CAT rating - assume its a stronger chassis and axle design?

bigkit

Post #6 by bigkit » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Basically, the chassis, suspension, drive line, brakes, axles and tyres are beefed up to cope with the extra weight and most importantly the stopping. There are endless configurations which is why special types trucks are so expensive because they are all bespoke.

Return to “Heavy Haulage”