Diesel engined compressor wanted

Are you searching for equipment?
Forum rules
Please use so called TAGS in the subject of the post when posting in here.
[For sale]
[Wanted]
[Exchange]
[Swap]

Topic author
Julian

Diesel engined compressor wanted

Post #1 by Julian » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:48 pm

Anything considered, but it'll need to be old, sound, working and cheap! Just something small so I can do a bit of sandblasting. I'm not bothered if the tyres are perished as I have a small trailer - the nearer to the Warrington area the better.

Cash at the ready ;)

Julian.

Topic author
Julian

Re: Diesel engined compressor wanted

Post #2 by Julian » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:36 pm

Got one now, thanks.

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Stormin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:20 pm

Julian wrote:Got one now, thanks.

What did you end up with? Does it count as classic plant, if so how about some pictures?

Got to admit it crossed my mind to offer my Compair Holman for sale as money is a bit tight at the moment, but I thought again and realised I'd probably never get one as cheap again as I did when I bought it. Looking around since I've not seen anything for less than a grand.

Topic author
Julian

Post #4 by Julian » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Stormin wrote:

What did you end up with? Does it count as classic plant, if so how about some pictures?

Got to admit it crossed my mind to offer my Compair Holman for sale as money is a bit tight at the moment, but I thought again and realised I'd probably never get one as cheap again as I did when I bought it. Looking around since I've not seen anything for less than a grand.

There's so much worn out shit for sale out there. One chap local(ish) to me wouldn't sell me one he had for sale as he said it was just about bsollocked and the cost of repairing screw compressors was high - seemingly he mainly sells to foreigners for export as they buy any old crap!

My compressor,I'm not sure what it is :( Don't worry! I went to see it today, it's a two tool unit with an aircooled Deutz engine so no 'classic' status. I'll post some pictures next week when I collect it. It started fine, and the engine revs went up and down depending on how much I opened up the air taps so I concluded all was well. It has been used on a plant and machinery yard mainly for operating 1" windy guns etc etc. I've known the sellers for several years and they are a sound bunch of chaps.

Julian.

Stormin

Post #5 by Stormin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Julian wrote:
Stormin wrote:

There's so much worn out shit for sale out there. One chap local(ish) to me wouldn't sell me one he had for sale as he said it was just about bsollocked and the cost of repairing screw compressors was high - seemingly he mainly sells to foreigners for export as they buy any old crap!

My compressor,I'm not sure what it is :( Don't worry! I went to see it today, it's a two tool unit with an aircooled Deutz engine so no 'classic' status. I'll post some pictures next week when I collect it. It started fine, and the engine revs went up and down depending on how much I opened up the air taps so I concluded all was well. It has been used on a plant and machinery yard mainly for operating 1" windy guns etc etc. I've known the sellers for several years and they are a sound bunch of chaps.

Julian.

Sounds similar to mine. Compair Holman H37 circa mid 90's with three cylinder air cooled deutz engine. Mine gives about 135cfm which means for blasting I'm running a 5/16 nozzle, could probably be better with a 1/4 nozzle though as some air is used up feeding the helmet.

Topic author
Julian

Post #6 by Julian » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Got it home! It's an Atlas Copco YA3 with a Rootes/screw compressor and a 2 cylinder Deutz. It has about 1600hrs on the clock and seems mechanically very good. The tin lid has been bashed hard more than a few times but it's only thin so straightening it up won't be too hard.

I've changed the engine oil and filter, tightened the belt to the cooling fan (no bugger had been near that for 10 years!) and done the fuel filter.

I've got a new lube filter for the compressor coming tomorrow but now need to find some compressor oil, 'Paroil M' or equivalent - not sure where to get that from.....

Finally I could do with some maintenance destructions so I know what's what on the thing, ideally I'd like to be able to tweak the output pressure from between about 70psi and 120psi to suit the job I'm doing. I've found some valves with adjustment possibilities, the trouble is I suspect that at least one may be the lube oil supply throttle to the compressor and I don't want to upset that one!

Julian.

modelman093

Post #7 by modelman093 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 pm

Julian wrote:Got it home! It's an Atlas Copco YA3 with a Rootes/screw compressor and a 2 cylinder Deutz. It has about 1600hrs on the clock and seems mechanically very good. The tin lid has been bashed hard more than a few times but it's only thin so straightening it up won't be too hard.

I've changed the engine oil and filter, tightened the belt to the cooling fan (no bugger had been near that for 10 years!) and done the fuel filter.

I've got a new lube filter for the compressor coming tomorrow but now need to find some compressor oil, 'Paroil M' or equivalent - not sure where to get that from.....

Finally I could do with some maintenance destructions so I know what's what on the thing, ideally I'd like to be able to tweak the output pressure from between about 70psi and 120psi to suit the job I'm doing. I've found some valves with adjustment possibilities, the trouble is I suspect that at least one may be the lube oil supply throttle to the compressor and I don't want to upset that one!

Julian.

Try the technical department of Morris Lubricants - always been very helpful on all matters lubrication. 01743 232200

Topic author
Julian

Post #8 by Julian » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:51 am

modelman093 wrote:Try the technical department of Morris Lubricants - always been very helpful on all matters lubrication. 01743 232200

Thanks but I stopped buying Morris Lubricants stuff years ago, I purchased some of their steam lubricants over the phone but they refused to sell me some of their 'Anchor Wax,' telling me that I would need to get that via a distributor. Jolly inconvenient and churlish on their part I thought!

But you given me the idea as Rock Oil is but a few miles from my home in Warrington.

Julian.

martyn williams

Post #9 by martyn williams » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Julian wrote:
modelman093 wrote:Try the technical department of Morris Lubricants - always been very helpful on all matters lubrication. 01743 232200

Thanks but I stopped buying Morris Lubricants stuff years ago, I purchased some of their steam lubricants over the phone but they refused to sell me some of their 'Anchor Wax,' telling me that I would need to get that via a distributor. Jolly inconvenient and churlish on their part I thought!

But you given me the idea as Rock Oil is but a few miles from my home in Warrington.

Julian.

I found the same thing,so went to a local supplier,
Martyn

Topic author
Julian

Post #10 by Julian » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:57 pm

And Rock Oil have come up trumps. The oil I needed was Paroil M, (as specified by Atlas Copco) they know the spec so are making a batch of equivalent just for little old me and I can pick up 20 litres in the morning. And at a fraction of the price that Atlas C (down in Hemel Hempsted) wanted for their Belgian imported stuff :angel:

That's what I call service!

Julian.

Return to “Wanted”