For sale - Honda ATC 70

Put your equipment for sale here
Forum rules
Please use so called TAGS in the subject of the post when posting in here.
[For sale]
[Wanted]
[Exchange]
[Swap]

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

For sale - Honda ATC 70

Post #1 by hair bear » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Christmas prezzie perhaps??? Been in storage for 5 years and started second pull!
A very collectable Honda ATC 70, from around the mid 1980's. 70cc petrol 4 stroke engine, 3 speed semi automatic chain drive off road trike.
It is not road registered so there is no V5c.
The engine is from a 1984 Honda C70 so it is 3 speed not 4. The kickstart has been modified to a hand start lever. It starts and runs fine, the exhaust headpipe is rusty and blowing. All the gears work, brakes need adjusting/looking at.
It has 3 good tyres.
It has the original thumb throttle/killswitch unit, and an extra 'bail out' lanyard safety switch has been added.
The seat is homemade and servicable.
The rear plastic is not original Honda, but fits reasonably well, although it is yellow and been coloured red (badly!) with vinyl. A towing eye has been added to the rear of the frame. Useful for extracting it from places it shouldn't have been.
It has working front and rear lights from the C70.
Front mudguard has been damaged and repaired with an aluminium plate rivited inside and some ziptie stitching. It may have a suspect back axle bearing but couldn't be sure.
Items included are a workshop manual on CD, one unused complete spare wheel, two extra rims. Spare front hub, 2 brake shoes, exhaust flange clamp and the number plate and last tax disc from the donor C70 (registered with the DVLA as scrapped). There is also (not pictured) the original front plastic 'Honda' panel that was removed to fit the headlight.
For storage and transport purposes it is 50" long, 30" wide, and 30" high.
Looking for offers around £500, located near Aldershot, Hampshire.

If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
hair bear

Re: For sale - Honda ATC 70

Post #2 by hair bear » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:59 pm

Now sold.

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by gecko.cx » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:43 pm

How does the drive work on these?
Is it a short chain to a solid rear axle or something different?
(I'm not in the market, just interested)

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:29 pm

gecko.cx wrote:How does the drive work on these?
Is it a short chain to a solid rear axle or something different?
(I'm not in the market, just interested)

I think its a chain but I may stand to be corrected.

Jeremy

Topic author
hair bear

Post #5 by hair bear » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:49 pm

No problem.
The basis is a Honda Cub engine and gearbox - totally interchangeable. So a 3 speed gearbox with centrifugal clutch, same heel-toe pedal with the gears all down. This runs a chain to the axle although the chain pitch is different to the road bikes. The axle sprocket is on the same type of hub as the Cub with 'cush drive' rubbers in it, again, the same part as the Cub, and splined on to a solid single piece axle. The tube axle carrier is within the width of the frame so the bearings take quite a beating. The chain runs down the outer left side of the frame, with the adjacent spline on the right carrying the only brake drum. There isn't a diff so You have to measure the circumference of the tyres as at 2psi it's impossible to get them correct and have a constant cornering effect. Best way to go around a corner is to lean out and lift the inner wheel slightly. There is a very fine line though between 'lean out' and 'laying on it's side'. Ask me how I know.
Rob.

gecko.cx

Post #6 by gecko.cx » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:35 pm

Thanks, appreciated.
Bit of trivia for you - did you know the cub is still in production and selling well?

My ride on mower has the same problem with tyre pressures, but being hydrostatic drive, it's easier to compensate.
I've been meaning to make up an airline with two Schrader chucks on it so I can connect both tyres together. Once connected, even if wrong, both tyres will at least be the same.

Topic author
hair bear

Post #7 by hair bear » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:41 pm

I didn't know. I used to have a 50 and wouldn't mind another. Hmm...
When I got this machine it had a 90 in it. It ran ok but wasn't great. I was looking for parts and was offered a cub 70. The price was right (free) so 120 mile journey was made. This cub was buried behind a shed that had to be demolished to gain access. The condition was not great as when I tried to pull it out the handlebars snapped in half and the wheels collapsed. Got home with what was left and having one of those moments of 'what's the point' but took the dipstick out and the oil was golden fresh. Ok, tried kicking it, not only did it turn over but appeared to have compression. Feeling a little better took the plug out and there was a spark! On a roll now, syringed some petrol down the bore plug in and it fired! Took about an hour and a half to swap the engines, change the carb and drive sprocket, and I was off and riding! Honda Reliability.
I have an '86 ATC250ES that hasn't been used in 7 years, pulled it out the shed last week, fresh petrol, pressed the button, two turns and off off went.

gecko.cx

Post #8 by gecko.cx » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:33 am

I've seen the current Super Cub in 110 and 125 depending on the market.

Return to “For sale”