coles crane

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Re: coles crane

Post #21 by mechman » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:06 pm

The old 4d is stripped its complete except for starter and fly wheel, pump, crank, head, all OK, it was suffering from (porosity,water in oil, liners ive been told) The rocker gear has decompression lever. The crankshaft has a starting handle facility on it, Its probably an old tractor or compressor engine,(so Im told) so its up for offers.
Norm.

Topic author
mechman

Post #22 by mechman » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:14 pm

HI all.
Im gonna try photoing this beasty next week but will probably find the upload harder than the refurb.
Norm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
mechman

Post #23 by mechman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi all.
Eventually managed to upload some pics of the beasty(with a little help from my friends) I feel a song coming on.
If it looks really rough its because it is, anyway all the mech side of it is working now since we put a Ford 2712e engine in.
The cab needs some serious TLC and quite a bit of the wiring needs replacing but we are getting there.
Norm. :D :thumbup:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #24 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Norman that looks to be in very good condition when you consider just how old that crane is; there is what appears to be a very similar unit not too far from where I live I must try and get some snaps of it.

Jeremy

Topic author
mechman

Post #25 by mechman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:34 am

Jeremy.
Apparently it was laid up because of a porosity problem with the previous engine however Im led to believe the generation side was reconditioned before it was laid up. Its been in that field so long its digging itself in instead of out.
It will be out next week and be a mobile yard crane again, on info on the net BR had quite a few of these, Its ironic really because its back on the railway again at lincs wold railway and is unbelievably smooth in operation considering how old it is(late fifties Im told its an argus 6 ton)
Norm. :thumbup:
The dumper behind it in pics is a winget 4s it also is awaiting some body work tlc as we have just reconned the PH2 that's in it but as you can imagine everything is on voluntary basis so its if and when whos got what when you next here ETC.
:)
Last edited by mechman on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #26 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:02 am

mechman wrote:Jeremy.
Apparently it was laid up because of a porosity problem with the previous engine however Im led to believe the generation side was reconditioned before it was laid up. Its been in that field so long its digging itself instead of out.
It will be out next week and be a mobile yard crane again, on info on the net BR had quite a few of these, Its ironic really because its back on the railway again at lincs wold railway and is unbelievably smooth in operation considering how old it is(late fifties Im told its an argus 6 ton)
Norm. :thumbup:
The dumper behind it in pics is a winget 4s it also is awaiting some body work tlc as we have just reconned the PH2 that's in it but as you can imagine everything is on voluntary basis so its if and when whos got what when you next here ETC.
:)

Norman have the Lincs Wold railway managed to reach Louth yet? My father steamed on that line during his youth; I also photographed the Hymac 675 crane that they have there and may return to get some better photo's of that machine when the summer returns.

Jeremy

Topic author
mechman

Post #27 by mechman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi Jeremy
The Hymac crane is still used on a very regular basis, also we now have a Road railer which is also in regular use. The railway still has about 5mile to go before it reaches Louth(All about funding) Its still presently running between Ludborough & North Thorsby
Norm. :wave:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #28 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:53 am

mechman wrote:Hi Jeremy
The Hymac crane is still used on a very regular basis, also we now have a Road railer which is also in regular use. The railway still has about 5mile to go before it reaches Louth(All about funding) Its still presently running between Ludborough & North Thorsby
Norm. :wave:

I will try and get to the next spring/summer running of the railway will try and meet up with you then if you are there? :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
mechman

Post #29 by mechman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:10 pm

I will be, last man standing and all that. Give me a nod when you decide to go. :wave:

Topic author
mechman

Post #30 by mechman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:59 pm

Hi all
Eventually moved the beast on to firmer ground today. All the usual probs ,brakes seized , Flat tyre, 9inches sunk in soft ground and 3 attempts with teleporter with crane now driving as well, Otherwise every thing went perfectly apart from me forgetting my B***ard camera.
norm :doh:

Return to “Cranes”