Foden-based 6x6 ex-MOD truck crane?

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Foden-based 6x6 ex-MOD truck crane?

Post #1 by Gavin Phillips » Sat May 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Well here's something that I don't see everyday! Didn't realise that it was an older Foden truck until I viewed the image in 200% magnification. I've looked around the Net too and there's a few of these truck cranes (or similar) that are appearing on auction listings, ex-MOD vehicles must be popular or something?

I'd love to know what model of Foden truck this is but realise there's perhaps little chance of that maybe?

If the auction sites reveal anything, its that the attachment point at the rear of the truck is apparently and earth anchor (as it was designed originally to be a recovery vehicle for use with engineer units) with a 10ton winch mounted on the front.

Best regards

Gavin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Foden-based 6x6 ex-MOD truck crane?

Post #2 by Neversweat » Sat May 25, 2013 5:23 pm

That's one of 300+ Foden 6x6 Recovery vehicles the Army had - It's fitted with EKA under lift recovery equipment now superseded by MAN ' s :(
Put Army Foden 6x6 recovery truck in Google and it links to some you tube footage of them in action.

Steve

Stormin

Post #3 by Stormin » Sat May 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Neversweat wrote:That's one of 300+ Foden 6x6 Recovery vehicles the Army had - It's fitted with EKA under lift recovery equipment now superseded by MAN ' s :(
Put Army Foden 6x6 recovery truck in Google and it links to some you tube footage of them in action.

Steve

Quite famous for tipping over. The heavy crane high up on the back coupled with the high ground clearance made them quite unstable.

jcb4cx

Post #4 by jcb4cx » Sat May 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Stormin wrote:
Neversweat wrote:That's one of 300+ Foden 6x6 Recovery vehicles the Army had - It's fitted with EKA under lift recovery equipment now superseded by MAN ' s :(

Steve

Quite famous for tipping over. The heavy crane high up on the back coupled with the high ground clearance made them quite unstable.

like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6H9egZiU1Y
every village has one , is yours missing you

Blackleg

Post #5 by Blackleg » Thu May 30, 2013 8:28 pm

I used to use those :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cranes”