UNLOADING RAILWAY LOCOMOTIVE FROM SHIP

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
martyn williams

UNLOADING RAILWAY LOCOMOTIVE FROM SHIP

Post #1 by martyn williams » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:12 pm

Spent a few hours at Newport docks today, eight brand new 130 tonne locomotives were unloaded.These had been shipped from GM in Canada.The ships cranes can lift 250 tonnes each.So far there has been 300 locos delivered to Newport docks over the last 8 years.These locos will be fuelled and prepared for delivery to its owners GB railfreight and Freightliner.
Its a shame that we have to import locos when the British built ones were far better build quality, more powerfull and more reliable despite being 20 years old. :evil:
The railways today has Canadian built locos pulling Polish wagons full with Russian coal. :dizzy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Re: UNLOADING RAILWAY LOCOMOTIVE FROM SHIP

Post #2 by John Gaunt » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:31 pm

Great pictures, Martyn.
I agree with your sentiments.
I think it's deplorable that British manufacturing Industry has declined so much.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:56 pm

A few years ago, five locos were towed from the GM factory to the port in Canada,they left the parking brake on the trailing loco.It was spotted when the locos were unloaded in the UK, Huge flats on the wheels.
Many years ago I was called out to look at a passenger train in trouble.The driver said that the loco was down on power,on further investigation I noticed that the brake was on the guards carriage.It had been dragged 30 miles with its brakes on.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:03 pm

I have been told that these loco's are still at the dock,the have some very important components missing when delivered. oops

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:54 am

Yes indeed my sentiments entirley it really "P's" me off to think of what we used to make and now import :evil:
The entire system in this country needs kicking into touch with reality grrrr :twisted:

Jeremy

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Thu May 22, 2008 6:00 pm

We had a locomotive traction motor fault last week,the motor is siezed so it cannot be towed to a depot for repair.This loco, a 130 tonne class 60 will be transported by road to Whatley quarry Somerset from Margam South Wales in the very near future.Heanor transport may be transporting this big load.When I get more info on the route and movement date I will post on this site.
Hopefully I can get some pictures of the move.
Martyn :thumbs_up:

Return to “Cranes”