What is the number one component on an overhead crane inspection that gets missed the most?

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
Crane.Blogger

What is the number one component on an overhead crane inspection that gets missed the most?

Post #1 by Crane.Blogger » Sat May 12, 2012 6:10 am

Hello, I am an overhead crane blogger. I have over 10 years in the overhead crane industry. I know it is a lot different than mobile cranes, but still there are a lot fo dangers associated with both. I have an overhead blog that I try to keep up as much as I can and I would like to share that with you. Please have a look at the latest post regarding components that really need to have special care taken when inspecting these components because they often get missed. Check it out and see what made the list.

http://overheadmaterialhandlingregulation.blogspot.com/
Konecranes USA an Overhead Crane Manufacturer

Jeremy Rowland

Re: What is the number one component on an overhead crane inspection that gets missed the most?

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat May 12, 2012 10:16 am

Crane.Blogger wrote:Hello, I am an overhead crane blogger. I have over 10 years in the overhead crane industry. I know it is a lot different than mobile cranes, but still there are a lot fo dangers associated with both. I have an overhead blog that I try to keep up as much as I can and I would like to share that with you. Please have a look at the latest post regarding components that really need to have special care taken when inspecting these components because they often get missed. Check it out and see what made the list.

http://overheadmaterialhandlingregulation.blogspot.com/

Hi Calvin well any lifting equipment in the UK has to be inspected by a professional engineer every 12 months under what are called the L.O.L.E.R. regulations, these inspections are very thorough, but if you asked me what one component on an overhead crane perhaps does not get checked as well as it could be then I would say the lifting hook and we have one of these that is bent very slightly on one of the 25ton capacity cranes at the company where I work at the moment, the reason we know this is because when the crane is fully laden you cannot easily turn the load on the hook the other crane is fine by comparrison.
Welcome to the site and please share some of your knowledge and pictures with us on here.

Jeremy

clockworklozenge1

Re: What is the number one component on an overhead crane inspection that gets missed the most?

Post #3 by clockworklozenge1 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:55 pm

After watching a gang of lads at my nearby foundry using their crane to suspend a new trainee upside down and tied up-with gaffer tape from one- id say the lads that operate the cranes might need a check once in a while !!

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 13, 2012 9:21 am

clockworklozenge1 wrote:After watching a gang of lads at my nearby foundry using their crane to suspend a new trainee upside down and tied up-with gaffer tape from one- id say the lads that operate the cranes might need a check once in a while !!

Well I don't think they realise the trouble both the men concerned and the company could get in if an HSE inspector happened to see what you did! And what some people forget is that the HSE can and do prosecute individuals as well as company's :think:

Jeremy

Topic author
Crane.Blogger

Post #5 by Crane.Blogger » Tue May 15, 2012 4:43 am

Thanks Jeremy for the courteous welcome! I will certainly be posting a lot in here and sharing pics that I have taken over the year!

That sounds a lot like OSHA here in the US. We too have to follow certain regulations. The problem is that there are a lot of small crane companies out there that do not train their guys properly. There are also issues with crane owners performing their own preventive maintenance and inspections. they rarely train their guys to inspect cranes and most are just general maintenance guys. Most don't have the knowledge to properly perform an inspection.

Calvin

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Tue May 15, 2012 8:37 am

I have driven and repaired overhead cranes.I have found the most missed item is the travel wheel bearings and drive.We had two 10 tonne cranes.fitted with aux 3 tonne crane.One of the cranes started making strange noises when traversed.The carriage bearing was worn out.It had not been checked or replaced since 1964 It was a Smith Rodley
Martyn

Topic author
Crane.Blogger

Post #7 by Crane.Blogger » Tue May 15, 2012 2:55 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:I have driven and repaired overhead cranes.I have found the most missed item is the travel wheel bearings and drive.We had two 10 tonne cranes.fitted with aux 3 tonne crane.One of the cranes started making strange noises when traversed.The carriage bearing was worn out.It had not been checked or replaced since 1964 It was a Smith Rodley
Martyn

I could see that happening. It is really hard to inspect the wheel bearing without having to jack the crane or trolley up off the rail. It would not be something that you do during a routine inspection. It is just too extensive similar to a gearbox inspection. If your planning on inspecting the trolley bearings or bridge bearings, because of the labor involved you might as well just change out the bearing completly. The cost of the labor will be more than the cost of the bearing anyways.

Return to “Cranes”