Iron Fairy

Discuss cranes here

kieran

Re: Iron Fairy

Post #21 by kieran » Fri May 13, 2011 12:39 am

MGI wrote:Kieran, do you remember Jody who was a fitter on the rope machines, and a Irish lad called Bill something, I think it might have been Geary? Not to mention Jock Ritchie who had the shout in the workshops!

bill it was joby smith . bill geary .bill spendlove & gordon shepherd where the crawler fitters
had pint with jock many a saturday takin him home a gr8 man

kieran
dont take a lift from a stranger

kieran

Post #22 by kieran » Fri May 13, 2011 1:15 am

MGI wrote:I knew your Dad, he was at BCHC when I was there... In fact he drove the Cairngorm before I did because they gave it him for a day or two whilst his was in dock for some reason. I went out to Chelmsley Wood to drive it on a very small pipeline that was running parallel to the M6. The agent asked me to string out a load of pipes with it, up a hill (offroad in a field) carrying them free on wheels and on a side camber. I said it wouldn't do it - just then Stan turned up on his chinese six because he had left his brothers in the Cairngorm, I said to him " they only expected me to string those pipes up that hill with this, I refused because it'll never get up there" He told me he thought it would because it was supposed to be a rough terrain crane and it had four wheel drive so I went back to the agent and told him that apparently it would do the job. I picked up a pipe, slewed it to the high side and set off - within 10 feet I was bogged to the *******s and it took me all morning jacking myself up on sleepers to get back to terra firma, your old man was long gone when I finally got out - I was absolutely cream crackered hand balling those sleepers a foot at a time and filthy dirty! To put the tin hat on it, there was a JCB 3 driver there and he said he would string the pipes, I replied scornfully that if the Cairngorm couldn't do it, a machine specifically designed to move loads over rough terrain, there was no chance that 3C excavator could do it, but just to complete my day he strung out every single pipe right to the top of the hill! It was only 2 wheel drive to add insult to injury!

bill
the rear axle went on the amethyst it was a twin steer bedford & the drive shaft fell my brother pats head when we were putin it back 2gather he had 2 get stiches lol... peter hawes drove the Cairngorm be4 he went in the hiab lorry
hope that helps OLD PAL
dont take a lift from a stranger

MGI

Post #23 by MGI » Fri May 13, 2011 10:58 pm

As I have previously posted I was on a site in the Forest of Dean (Population 65,000 & only 15 surnames) and it was a quagmire, I had to tramp backwards everywhere and I still managed to break chains, the mud had small boulders in it and they kept getting between the chain and the sprocket. John Edkins used to pay me £2.00 every time I replaced a link which was cheaper than sending a fitter out. Tom Kelly was OK because he was on a long & wide and the chains were a long way from the tracks. I had a really old Landrover in those days (1949) and it used to drink oil, I used to fire the Mobil 5 gallon drums into it that I had for the navvy, eventually Jock Ritchie asked me when the next weekend was that the site wasn't working, I asked him why and he said he was going to send two fitters out with a replacement engine because mine was using so much oil it would be cheaper than to keepfiring oil down to me - that buggered it up, I had to suddenly discover where the leak was & remedy it or my cover was blown. (It was probably blown anyway - Jock probably sussed where the oil was going & conned me, like I was trying to con him)

tillage

Post #24 by tillage » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:34 pm

i have just joined this forum after looking for information on iron fairy cranes. i have an iron fairy mk 1. it is number 38 off the line circa 1956? vintage .we use it in our engineering business as well as the fact that i collect vintage cranes lol

tillage

Post #25 by tillage » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:49 pm

iron fairy mk1 ---i have some photos if anyone is interested and when i can find how to post attachments

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #26 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi Mark and welcome to the site :wave: if you require help in posting pictures then look in the box below the one where you type your reply and click on the browse button, simply click on the picture that you wish to upload and then hit the upload file button.

Jeremy

tillage

Re: Iron Fairy mk1

Post #27 by tillage » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:57 pm

iron fairy mk1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tillage

Post #28 by tillage » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:09 pm

iron fairy mk1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #29 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:34 am

Great pics there :claphands: That machine must be very rare are you planning a restoration?

Jeremy

MGI

Post #30 by MGI » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:34 pm

That is an old Iron fairy!

Return to “Cranes”