F. Taylor and Sons (Manchester) Limited

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
coles crane bloke

F. Taylor and Sons (Manchester) Limited

Post #1 by coles crane bloke » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:44 pm

F. Taylor and Sons (Manchester) Limited, had a factory at Pendleton, with a second works at Glazebury being established in 1945. They were best know for their snoop nosed crane the Jumbo. Which was more a lifter than a crane. The information I have is all contained in the one page on my site link below.

homepage.ntlworld.com/tonyonthemoon/Coles-history-taylors-story.html

This page can be linked to direct at the above but is no longer on the site at the moment pending update.

I think there is more depth and some history to this firm rather than just the one crane I think they were big in mining but can find no more about the firm anywhere. Any help stories gossip somebody must know something. Pictures are good, you guys come up with come good stuff.

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Re: F. Taylor and Sons (Manchester) Limited

Post #2 by XS650 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:52 am

Suppose you've seen this , comments posted by F.Taylors grandson on IMCD-

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=102789

My grandad, Alan Taylor, used to produce them at F. Taylor & Sons in Salford. Patents were later sold to Coles Cranes. They (Taylor's) were the first company to produce cranes with a slewing jib and with hydraulics. One was restored and presented to the Manchester Science Museum last year.

They were indeed rebuilt from Morris transports that were ex army stock. It was very hard to find a Morris in the North West as Taylor's bought most of them and turned them into cranes!

If any one needs any more info on this or other Taylor Cranes please contact me at info@taylorestates.com or go to TaylorBusinessPark.com to find other contact info.

Jumbos were a different crane produced after this one by F Taylor & Sons.

The Jumbo had its own chassis made in the factory. It was the Hydra that used the Morris and they were usually painted red. Some were painted green and presented to some companies on request (some rail companies liked the green ones).
Not all those who wander are lost.

guisey

Post #3 by guisey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:56 am

Hi. We have a F Taylor & sons Jumbo Crane here in Christchurch New Zealand which we have been restoring. It had been used for unloading coal from railway wagons for use in a woolen mill which is no longer in use. We ( New Zealand Vintage Machinery Club) were given it along with the cam bucket before the Christchurch Earth Quake. It has a Pilot V8 motor. I can post some photos of it if anyone is interested.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:02 am

guisey wrote:Hi. We have a F Taylor & sons Jumbo Crane here in Christchurch New Zealand which we have been restoring. It had been used for unloading coal from railway wagons for use in a woolen mill which is no longer in use. We ( New Zealand Vintage Machinery Club) were given it along with the cam bucket before the Christchurch Earth Quake. It has a Pilot V8 motor. I can post some photos of it if anyone is interested.

Hi Russell welcome to the site :wave: we would love to see some pictures of the machine :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
coles crane bloke

Post #5 by coles crane bloke » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi Russell I have been interested in this machine for quite a while but never been able to find out what size it is any chance of a few dimensions.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi,
When Priestman started to produce the "2 Series" Mustang excavators in the 1980s they fitted Taylor Rams instead of Hamworty and Italian made rams the name of which I can't remember. Apparently they were made within the group. :think: Probably the Acrow Group at the time, :think: the "2 Series" must have been designed before the Sanderson Era.
Could this have been the same Taylor connection :?: :?: Or was the name just a coincidence :?: :?:
Does anyone know more :?: :?:
Fred

Topic author
coles crane bloke

Post #7 by coles crane bloke » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:35 am

The latest update to the Taylors story is here, hope to make a PDF download combining the story and database soon.

http://colescranes.awardspace.com/Coles-taylors-history-text-p1.html

BulldozerD11

Post #8 by BulldozerD11 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 pm

coles crane bloke wrote:The latest update to the Taylors story is here, hope to make a PDF download combining the story and database soon.

http://colescranes.awardspace.com/Coles-taylors-history-text-p1.html

:thumbup:

Interesting machines Tony not seen several of those before.

The crane based on the Fordson Major reminds me of a machine i saw someware the other year (but were :?: )

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Return to “Cranes”