histrory of R.H. Neal Ltd - Grantham.

Discuss cranes here

birdman

Re: histrory of R.H. Neal Ltd - Grantham.

Post #11 by birdman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi Tony,

Not sure if you have read R.J.(Dick) Lloyd's book "40 years a salesman", he mentions his time with R.H. Neal back in the early sixties, may be of some use.

Steve.

kwhit01

Post #12 by kwhit01 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:04 pm

At Wortley Top Forge (http://www.topforge.co.uk) we have a Neal QM serial number 519. This crane has been at the forge for a number of years and (with the exception of getting stuck in the mud) performs well in every lifting job we have used it for. The crane has a current certificate but is now needing TLC on a more frequent basis. Currently we have a problem with the steering box which appears to be seized. If anyone out there has a repair manual, operators manual or parts book for a QM we would be grateful for a copy to help us get this QM back to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kwhit01

Post #13 by kwhit01 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:20 pm

At Wortley Top Forge (http://www.topforge.co.uk) we have a Neal Runabout T15109. This is a good little crane the dose well in all the small lifting jobs we ask it to do. The crane has a current certificate and is used regularly. We also have manuals & parts lists for this crane (which I can scan if anybody would like a copy).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
coles crane bloke

Post #14 by coles crane bloke » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks to everyone for the images am gradually getting together a workable collection of images for the Neals history. These things always get more complicated as you get into them.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #15 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:01 am

Hello
I have no pictures or literature on the Neal Unit, but I did repair and maintain one in the early 1970's. Opperated it occasionaly too.
If I can be of any help I can probbably answer anny queries about build, mechanics and performance. I did some major work on it. It had some excelent design features, Quite a good machine to opperate when used to it.
Theres a brilliant pic. of one on a low loader in Heavy Haulage section in the first post.
Fred

IBH

Post #16 by IBH » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:25 pm

this is the pic:

BulldozerD11

Post #17 by BulldozerD11 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 pm

coles crane bloke wrote:Thanks to everyone for the images am gradually getting together a workable collection of images for the Neals history. These things always get more complicated as you get into them.

Definitely agree with that Tony. :thumbup:

My attempt to gather together potted histories of all plant manufactures gets more complicated as i find more obscure firms just in the posts on here, without what turns up in the depths of the web.

:bow: Brilliant work with what you have gathered together all ready on the Coles Cranes History Tony :claphands:

I keep veering off at tangents and looking at forums instead of adding photos and histories :dizzy:

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Stephen Carter

Post #18 by Stephen Carter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:42 pm

This Neals crawler belonged to the Holms Sand and Gravel Co of Bristol ( sea dredged aggregates) and was used for discharging the sand boats. Interestingly it was only a single rope chandilier grab as opposed to a double rope grab but Holms probably had lots of this type of grab as previously they had used rail mounted electric Stothert and Pitt cranes to discharge the sand boats.

regards

Stephen

Topic author
coles crane bloke

Post #19 by coles crane bloke » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Many thanks for the info guys and images. Have now put up the section of the material I have so far on Neals. Still working on the history section. They were the third largest crane manufacturer in England at the time of take over by Coles.
More Info always welcome.

I'm going to start a new thread on Taylor's...... you have been warned

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #20 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Tony
Congratulations on this very interesting thread.
Please check out my thread in excavators for more Neal Unit pics.& info.
Fred.

Return to “Cranes”