Old crane photographed in Sunderland

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Old crane photographed in Sunderland

Post #1 by Gavin Phillips » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:25 pm

No information on this one as yet, its probably a luffing travelling crane, with variable counterwight which moves in conjunction to the boom position.

According to the locals it hasn't worked for years, and it doesnt look in too much of a good condition either. The whole area is supposedly under redevelopment plans so it could well be scrapped soon, very sad. I'll be going back soon to get some better pictures hopefully.

Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

DozerDave

Re: Old crane photographed in Sunderland

Post #2 by DozerDave » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Off topic, but perhaps worth a mention....apologies if not.

That crane is close to where the an old Isle of Man Ferry, "The Manxman"?? I believe was docked. Some clever individual on board pulled a rather important plug on that vessel and as some sea legs say "scuppered" it by accident.....
It was fortunate that they managed to pump the contents of the River Wear out and re-float her. Don`t know where she went afterwards?

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Re: Old crane photographed in Sunderland

Post #3 by Gavin Phillips » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:51 pm

DozerDave wrote:Off topic, but perhaps worth a mention....apologies if not.

That crane is close to where the an old Isle of Man Ferry, "The Manxman"?? I believe was docked. Some clever individual on board pulled a rather important plug on that vessel and as some sea legs say "scuppered" it by accident.....
It was fortunate that they managed to pump the contents of the River Wear out and re-float her. Don`t know where she went afterwards?

Never heard anything about that, how long ago did this happen? Interestingly enough, Google Earth does show a ship/ferry of some kind moored in front of the crane. Obviously its long gone! I passed over the Queen Alexandria bridge on the way to the Isle of Wight in July and there was no ship there then. As for what happened to the ship - water can do a serious amount of damage, quite possibly she would have been scrapped - the high price of scrap can make decisions all by itself, just like it will do with the Tuxedo Princess that was on the Tyne.
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

Return to “Cranes”