National Grid Pylon Erection

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: National Grid Pylon Erection

Post #11 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:47 pm

All hard work back in those days Fred :) . Rob I had a chance to get the following pictures today and got talking to one of the guys on the job.
They will remove the one cable from the old pylon first, the insulators are the first parts to be removed which I caught on camera in the photos below today, then the wire transfer can begin. It is interesting to note that the wires on the right hand side of the pylon are still live while the work progresses on the other half of the mast :o
Tractors are used for running the wires but these looked to be fairly bog standard tractors with the addition of a winch, I would very much doubt that you could tension the pylon wires by driving a tractor with the wires attached to it, besides you'd have fun trying to drive a tractor in the canal :lol:
I would guess that the tension for the lines is based on calculated length and torque applied through the winch. I fully intend to try and view more of this fascinating process; the old pylon has been booked for disassembly in August with other National Grid work continuing in the area until September.
I will post the photos in two lots because there are quite a few; out of interest the old pylon is being replaced because of among other things it is slowly sinking into the sand bank on which it rests. :think:

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #12 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:01 pm

The other photos taken today; the insulators are separated once they are on the floor and winched from the canal bank to where they can be lifted onto a vehicle for removal. I thought that the one looked like a freaky caterpillar as it was winched up the bank.
The guy who I spoke to on the job said that the first pair of insulators they removed from the pylon did not go quite to plan and they ended up having to fish them out of the canal :dizzy:
The insulators in this instance are made from porcelain whereas others are made from glass but the ones that are being put on the new pylon are likewise going to be made from porcelain.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #13 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:32 pm

This job has slowly progressed though the summer; the new pylon had the three sets of wires attached to the one side first, of course the National Grid have been working further along the same set of power lines.
The very last wire removed from the old tower was the very top wire which is the earth wire so only the tower itself now remains ready for demolition which is set to take place sometime this month, I must make the effort to try and capture this on camera.
Just two shots tonight showing the completed new pylon and the old one waiting the inevitable demolition; the new pylon has a few differences if you look closely, one being the middle wire support arms are longer. :geek:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #14 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:51 pm

And there it was gone! :wtf: As I drove down what was the old A41 through Hill Top I saw a crane standing and the skyline changed forever with a missing pylon, rather miffed that I had missed this. :doh:

Well I thought being as the crane was still there I may as well take a look at what if anything was left; the photos say it all really and so this once giant landmark has been reduced to a skip full of scrap metal, enjoy the last photos of this story.

Jeremy

Return to “Cranes”