National Grid Pylon Erection

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

National Grid Pylon Erection

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:29 pm

By chance I came across something today that I had always wanted to watch; namely the erection of a new electricity pylon 8-)
The said pylon is being erected at Holloway Bank by the side of the Tame Valley canal which is not so far from where I was brought up. The pylon is replacing an older unit that currently stands in somebodies back garden :dizzy:
What was the old A41 is going to have to be temporarily shut at sometime along with the canal where the wires cross both.
The work was well advanced by the time I came across it but nonetheless it attracted some attention from the general public.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Re: National Grid Pylon Erection

Post #2 by Neversweat » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:14 pm

Nice pics Jeremy :thumbup: Something you don't see everyday.

Steve

bigkit

Post #3 by bigkit » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:12 pm

:thumbup: I bet that made you late back from lunch! :lol:

widget

Post #4 by widget » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Great pic,s Jeremy :gooodpost:
I have never seen this done before, but I have seen power cable work using baskets and a helicopter on a line that runs near to where I live. Also very impressive ( wish I had a camera with me)
Those sky riggers live on a different planet tho :dizzy:
I want to rust out not wear out

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:23 pm

Cheers lads :thumbup: I took a trip down there today to view the progress after I had finished work and they have now completed the tower erection so just the insulators and lines to rig; hope I can catch that cos I haven't seen that done before either. The pylon on the right of this shot is the one that is to be replaced and as its the other side of somebodies house with the canal on the other side then taking it apart should prove interesting.

Just out of interest here the yard that the new pylon is standing in used to be a small scrap yard called Wades of Wednesbury I have posted a photo of their Poclain TYS somewhere in the 'Vive Poclain thread'

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hair bear

Post #6 by hair bear » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Interesting subject and one I have a question on...
At an auction many years ago there were a couple of what I can only describe as long wheelbase winch tractors. One was a DDN Major, the other a 5000. They both had an extended framework at the front with the axle attached and a sort of overhead pulley system They must have been best part of 20' long.
I was told that they were used on pylon building and were for tensioning the wires - this was done by running the cable over the tractor from behind, attaching it to the front and driving away, the correct tension obtained when the front wheels lifted! Is that true???
Now I've written this and read it back it sounds even more daft but I can't find a picture and it's been bugging me for years.
Rob.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Rob I have always wondered how they fit the wires and the insulators I intend to find out if possible when they wire this pylon up; I would guess that you could fit a winch to the pylon itself to raise the insulators but I guess I will have to wait and find out.

Jeremy

widget

Post #8 by widget » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Here,s a link to one of Martyns finds, very interesting old footage about powerline installation . ( for members who might have missed it ) :thumbup:

Keep the camera at the ready Jeremy, you got some great shots there. It still amazes me how people can do this job :wtf:

Holger @ Powerline construction
I want to rust out not wear out

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:48 pm

It would appear that the big wire swap will occur sometime over the Easter break so if I get the chance to take any photos I will do. The preparation work has already started with nets across the road and canal towpath plus a workers 'basket' erected on the new pylon ready for the work to commence in earnest.

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #10 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi Jeremy, great pics. thank you.
I worked for a firm,(early 70s),who used to set the foundations for these pylons and build Gabion Basket retaining walls around the pylon base where the base was cut into the mountainside.
Spare a thought for the fearless erectors of that era.
There was no crane it was done with mobile winches mostly built around fordson major tractors, and all done with erection masts and ropes.
Fred

Return to “Cranes”