Photos of 1960+Mack Lowboy Cranes ( Wanted )

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
nevstory

Photos of 1960+Mack Lowboy Cranes ( Wanted )

Post #1 by nevstory » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:44 am

Hi Guys, Grant here from New Zealand.
I'm looking for some photos of a particular model of crane.
There were two of them in NZ from 1960 on.
They were quite futuristic for their era, They were very much like a machine found in THUNDERBIRDS, I have not seen one for many many years and even though I used to maintain them I have no images anywhere.
They arrived in NZ in the 1960's and were operated by a company called Lysaght Cranage in Whakatane. Later, they were sold to Carlton Cranes in Auckland.
I am an Auto Electrician and was involved in the R&M of these, (and many others).
When Carlton Cranes sold out to Titan Cranes (in the 80's) ,they were moved on and I lost track of them. I have attempted on many occasions to find some photos.
I believe they were called Mack Lowboys and were fitted with a Kato crane.
They were 4 Axle (2 driving and 2 steering). The driver's seat sat approximately 10 feet in front of the steering axle and the cab had a long sloping windscreen set at approx 45 degrees.
The boom and outriggers were all hydraulic and the whole machine was powered by the prime-movers engine, which was a 6 cylinder Mack Turbo and Allison auto transmission.
I thought that they were quite a smart looking crane and I'm now regretting that I never took any photos.

Hoping that someone here is able to help me !!!
Regards

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Photos of 1960+Mack Lowboy Cranes ( Wanted )

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:59 am

do they look anything like any of these ?
Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
nevstory

Post #3 by nevstory » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:45 am

Mrsmackpaul wrote:Image

do they look anything like any of these ?
Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul, Yes the Nicholls crane looks very much like them, although I'm sure they appeared much larger 30 years ago.
How I remember them is because (as an AutoElectrician) I was given the task of converting both cranes from Air start to Electric Start.
They were working in Kawerau NZ and the temperature was dropping so low the air starters were ineffectual.

Regards Grant :brravo:

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:28 am

mate this is the book you need can get it from http://www.blueflyer.com.au/ I have no connection at all to this but have got the book and had a read has a bit about your cranes seeya

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

negatives

Post #5 by negatives » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi Grant, in a weird twist I am just starting a business selling off old wedding and commercial photography from my father, dating back to around that time. And would you believe one of the jobs he did was for Lysaght Cranage? Is this the crane your talking about? I have 3 negatives of different angles of this crane. Not sure if you know anyone from that company, or anyone who might be interested in buying the originals.

lysaght-sm.jpg

Cheers
Hayden
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cranes”