National Forklift Heritage Centre

Discuss telehandlers here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

National Forklift Heritage Centre

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed May 07, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi Folks,

Well must say that Forklifts don't really do anything for me, however there may be some interested so here goes;
The other day I was at one of my favourite haunts the MRC at Butterly and there is a museum which I am told is the only one worldwide dedicated to forklift trucks.
This place is normally shut up only this time I was lucky enough to catch the two guys who run the place. I did casually mention CP&M magazine to them but got no interest as I was told the place was advertised in some materials handling magazine.
However there is a very intersting bust of the late Leonard S Mathew who invented the pivot steer system and was a founder of Matbro :o
Anyways here's a couple of pics for yer perusal :roll:
Oh and they have what they say is the oldest surviving forklift truck which was built in 1926. Unless of course you know better :lol:

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: National Forklift Heritage Centre

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed May 07, 2008 10:09 pm

And of course they have this Matbro pivot steer forklift, could spin you a yarn about a Matbro forklift but the forum just ain't long enough if you know what I mean. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Right then here's a few more pics form the said Forklift Heritage Centre, the first few pics show the 1926 Yale stand-on counterbalance truck.
This machine of course had no hydraulics as this technology was in its infancy at this time, as you can see the fork tilt mechanism is of a "rack & pinion" design and powered directly by an eletric motor.
No sitting down on this machine :)

The next machine is a sideloader which were quite popular in wood and steel yards as I recall, this one was manufactured by Joshua Shaw.

Last couple of pics; one more of the Matbro and one of a misc bog standard diesel hydraulic forklift.
There must be around 40 machines crammed into this tiny unit, still worth a look if the chance presents itself.

Jeremy

DaveS

Post #4 by DaveS » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks for posting this Jeremy, it's certainly an odd subject, but there seems to be a museum for almost everything these days! Except earthmovers, of course! :dizzy:

I was an engineer with Lansing Bagnall (now part of Linde) in Basingstoke many, many moons ago.

We then owned Henley and Bonser at the time, so I've had a bit to do with forklifts too. :insomnia:

Dave. S.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:43 pm

Dave its a very odd kinda museum to find :lol: but nonetheless glad its there, much better than letting the cutting torch have the last say.
And yes sadly their isn't yet an official excavator museum, the closest thing is up at Threkland, must say I would like to see some of these lottery millions spent on a worthwhile project like a museum for all construction equipment :thumbup:

Jeremy

JoieRomero

Post #6 by JoieRomero » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 am

could spin you a yarn about a Matbro forklift but the forum just ain't long enough if you know what I mean.
Recommend the Mad Men Season 5 DVD, a very good-looking DVD!

BulldozerD11

Post #7 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:57 am

Hi Jeremy - must have missed this thread way back :(

Looks interesting place, must visit itbut last time i called in at Butterly Railway looking for the trucks from the Limestone Road Run dident see anything about how to get to it ? I now believe its up the line at the other station site with several other 'Museums' including one with stationary engines and the various rail group workshops. Do you have to get the train to it or is there a road way in ?

BTW. Have seen it mentioned on the Web on a Forklift Blog site 'article' with a bit of history about it (IIRC it mentioned it has weird opening hours).

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #8 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Dave; yes is the answer that you are looking for, what you need to do is to park up at Butterly and walk underneath the railway road bridge at the station where you will find a gate that you can use to cross the track.
Now when you have crossed the track there is a path that runs along the line to the Swanick museum site but be warned here don't bother if its been raining because it gets very muddy. :wtf:
There is a way by road into the Swanick site but trying to find it is not easy and its not the best of roads.
Now for the Fork Truck Heritage centre you really need to go on a bank holiday, I have been to the museum site many times now and its pure pot luck whether the Fork Truck Heritage site is open so bank holidays are the best bet to save yourself a wasted journey.

Jeremy

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #9 by XS650 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:17 pm

We were there 2 year ago and as you can see were gutted to find it closed , there was an excellent little transport museum next door though , the Brough Superiors had just being ridden in by lads on right . There was also ( like many preserved railways ) old plant around in use but didn't dare photo it in case my train spotter mates took the pee!! :)
P1010537red.JPG

P1010540red.JPG

P1010538red.JPG
Not all those who wander are lost.

BulldozerD11

Post #10 by BulldozerD11 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Dave; yes is the answer that you are looking for, what you need to do is to park up at Butterly and walk underneath the railway road bridge at the station where you will find a gate that you can use to cross the track.
Now when you have crossed the track there is a path that runs along the line to the Swanick museum site but be warned here don't bother if its been raining because it gets very muddy. :wtf:
There is a way by road into the Swanick site but trying to find it is not easy and its not the best of roads.
Now for the Fork Truck Heritage centre you really need to go on a bank holiday, I have been to the museum site many times now and its pure pot luck whether the Fork Truck Heritage site is open so bank holidays are the best bet to save yourself a wasted journey.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy - an update for this post

Called into the MRC today as having another go at getting the trucks on the Limestone run and after negotiating the (still) muddy track and the rail yard etc arrived at the site to find alot of locos and carriages, an old Hymac + JCB but no vintage /classic trucks !! After wandering round a bit Found the National Forklift Centre was Open :o :D

so had a look round at some very interesting stuff and makes i've never herd of :o

A few trucks eventually turned up apparently they got stuck on the A6 in the tailback from a crash so a number whent straight home.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Return to “Telehandlers”