rough terrain forklifts

Discuss telehandlers here

IBH

Re: rough terrain forklifts

Post #11 by IBH » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:54 pm

I have vague recollections of Moffet Mounty producing an articulated tractor/wheeled loader based on a Ford tractor (?). I think I saw it in an early issue of Classic Tractor.

Topic author
pk1200

Post #12 by pk1200 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:13 pm

IBH wrote:I have vague recollections of Moffet Mounty producing an articulated tractor/wheeled loader based on a Ford tractor (?). I think I saw it in an early issue of Classic Tractor.

yes, IBH, that is correct, also Robert Moffett went on to form Combi lift which is a cross between a standard forklift and a sideloader forklift.

BulldozerD11

Post #13 by BulldozerD11 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:34 am

pk1200 wrote:Hi Steve
thanks for the interest shown and here is some answers.
Powerscreen are based at Dungannon in N. I. but they aquired the inventive family run business of Moffett engineering,best known for the Moffett Mounty piggyback forklift who are based at Dundalk.Soon after,Powerscreen were taken over by Terex who quickly sold off the moffett division to the Cargotec group=[HIAB]
Extec did have their main factory in Sheffield.
MHM = Muiltipurpose Handling MACHINE.
Some machines did have fifth wheels fitted for short flatbed trailers and dumpers as seen below.

Thanks Brian

I was half right then on Powerscreen then :dizzy: unless another Irish Engineering co associated with Dundalk.

I'll have to pop over to Dungannon and see if I can see powerscreens place (think ive been through there, Hospital was on top of a hill /ridge IIRC).

Extec - explains why id seen them there then :thumbs_up:

MHM - Thought it might be that :)

Not sure the 5th wheel idea works that well with the legs especial on soft (peat) sites ;)

IBH - now you triggered a vague recollection of an article. Versatile / ford also did something similar as well.

IBH - interesting firm making the dumphoe,

Brian - Think theres been a couple of forklifts that rorate to side loader.

Cheers

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Forksni
Flag: Great Britain

Post #14 by Forksni » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi all, JJ McMahon of Cookstown in N.Ireland still had 2 of the Masterhandlers & a Finlay handler when I worked for them in 2000 (& also a Matbro TS300 13 metre telehandler). I can't remember the model numbers of any of the but the Finlay seemed to be a 7 metre machine with stabilisers & the Masterhandler that stayed in their yard had a 'sissors type' extender for the forks The Finlay was at an office refit in Coleraine & the & I drove 1 of their Masterhandlers on a student housing site in Coleraine. It had a glazed cab, a 4 speed shuttle gearbox with manual clutch & suffered from lack of a handbrake & lack of lifting height (only lifted about 12-13ft) with at times was a pain but all in all it was an OK mutlipurpose machine for the confined site it was on. I don't suppose anyone out there would have a brochure on the Masterhandler they would be prepared to sell ? ?

Bryan
Live alot,
Trust a few.
But always paddle your own canoe!

Topic author
pk1200

Post #15 by pk1200 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi Bryan
I do not have a brochure for the Finlay or Masterhandlier but here is a copy of a brochure for a
later machine.Btw did you see that KDM's JCB tele made it to pic of the month in the Earthmovers magazine?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pk1200 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BulldozerD11

Post #16 by BulldozerD11 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:19 am

Interesting machine Brian
Bit like the Matbro telram, but that had cab at back and a telescopic boom.

I've added firms to main plant co list on the tractor wiki http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Construc ... nufactures

If any one knows any more defunct plant building firms lett me know or add them please (including rest of world)

I've found an article on RW Collins who build the early teleporters and designed some of mattbros machines :)

Question:
On the list does anyone think it would be better as a table ?
with Name, Status (i.e defunct), Location, owner now, products etc ?

Thanks for info all :thumbs_up:
Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Forksni

Post #17 by Forksni » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi Brian, thank you for that. Yea I seen the pic, wonder how the driver got it up like that & how they couldn't get it down again ! Wish I'd got a pic of the Demenex JCB 532 on its side at the Ballinrees WTW site in Coleraine when I started there (to replace the driver that was on it ! ) Going back to your original post I don't have the Jac Built brochure but I do have a few other brochures on the JacLift Sambron range (& Sambron dumpers), older JCB telehandlers, Manitou telehandlers & few masted forklifts, old Winget & Benford site forklifts etc. I'll have to look them out.

Dave, the masted Masterhandler was a bit like the Matbro M40-80 series forklifts although again the cab on the Matbro is on the rear. The Teleram (with upgrades to TR200/250 etc) went right through into the Terex range but as far as I'm aware it has been dropped recently. Other Matbro telehandlers were dropped when Terex took over Matbro (namely the TS300 & TS350 which were sadly replaced with the not as good Terex/Italmacchine 3013/3514) & the other were combined with the Italmacchine range.

Was the original forklift idea not from the US of A during the war, I'd heard years ago that Hyster had the first forklift range ? ? I do know that the telehandler idea come from the USA (JCB copied the idea for their 1970s 520) & Merlo came up with the Roto telehandler in 1991.

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live alot,
Trust a few.
But always paddle your own canoe!

XS650

Post #18 by XS650 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Was the original forklift idea not from the US of A during the war, I'd heard years ago that Hyster had the first forklift range ?

I've seen a late WW2 picture of an RAF station with a forklift in use.
Not all those who wander are lost.

IBH

Post #19 by IBH » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:56 pm

That MHM 2.5 Reachmaster looks very similar in appearance to a latter-day Muir Hill wheeled loader (to me).

Topic author
pk1200

Post #20 by pk1200 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:49 pm

JCB 926 patiently waiting for the house market to get better.Shame about the cab glass.

Return to “Telehandlers”