rough terrain forklifts

Discuss telehandlers here

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: rough terrain forklifts

Post #61 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Gudday Francis welcome to the forum
mate I will be of little use to you as I know nothing much about forklift masts but Im sure some of the fellas a lot smarter than me will be along fairly soon with some good advice
As they say pictures are worth a thousand words so might help to wack up a picture of the mast and machine and the parts you are chasing
good luck with it all

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Dacy
Flag: Ireland

Post #62 by Dacy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Thanks Paul,
As I said in my last post I hope to restore this old MHM forklift.
The first photo shows the forklift with the mast removed as it has been damaged and needs repairing. The rollers, bearings etc I don,t have a problem sourcing, what I am finding hard to source is the "C" shaped mast channel. I need 2 x 2 meter lengths of same with an outside width of 112 mm and a depth of 45. Wall thickness is 16 mm. Ideally Paul or Stephen or somebody with knowledge of the building of these machines might know the supplier. I have tried the forklift parts suppliers in the UK but so far no luck, here,s hoping.

Francis.

stephenkelly

Post #63 by stephenkelly » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:07 am

Hi, I do remember this machine, quite a rare one she was too. It was reconditioned in 1989 or 1990 for a farmer in the Brantry. The cab top was removed by him during the build so that he could use the machine for loading silage into the pit. Seemingly had to go as close to the roof beams as possible!. She should have a hydraulic pick up hitch at the rear ( not in the photos) and was supplied with one of the strongest looking silage grabs I've ever seen. Was in a yard on the Armagh Caledon road for years. Something tells me that this machine was fitted with citroen mineral type brake fluid master cylinder seals- check before topping up. The three stage mast was a rare option too- be careful with the red tec reel hose tensioners, we had several accidents with the springs flailing a loose hose about. The machine was made right at the start of the ford engine build machines, that is why the cab was still a green frame. As to the damaged mast channel, the mast was originally made with machined (milling cutter) heavy channels and these were sometimes machined to odd sizes so that some bearings appeared to have been custom dimensions right from new. Your best bet today will be to start from a HEB heavy H section beam, remove the flanges from one side :arrrrgh: and machine from there. Great to see another one being rescued- this is only the second I know of. Please post pictures of the resto as it continues
Stephen Kelly

Dacy

Post #64 by Dacy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:32 am

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for posting and I take on board all the very helpful information. I bought the machine from that yard you mention on the Armagh to Caledon road and it now rests in my yard outside Cootehill.
The engine runs well and is easy started, I had to replace the starter and rewire the machine.
I go to England in a couple of weeks where I have sourced a supplier of Mast channels and bearing sets which we will adapt.
Yes I will post pictures as we go.

Many thanks,

Francis McGorry

TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

Post #65 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Stephen Kelly I've just picked up one of these MHM Master Handlers myself. I would dearly love a copy of those brochures you have on them. I'm afraid i'm not able to read the ones posted up on here. Heresafew pictures of my machine. Shes an early one with the Lister engine. No 169.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #66 by XS650 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks Paul,
As I said in my last post I hope to restore this old MHM forklift.
The first photo shows the forklift with the mast removed as it has been damaged and needs repairing. The rollers, bearings etc I don,t have a problem sourcing, what I am finding hard to source is the "C" shaped mast channel. I need 2 x 2 meter lengths of same with an outside width of 112 mm and a depth of 45. Wall thickness is 16 mm. Ideally Paul or Stephen or somebody with knowledge of the building of these machines might know the supplier. I have tried the forklift parts suppliers in the UK but so far no luck, here,s hoping.

Francis.

A long shot and you may have found some in the last three years ! but on a recent visit to Skinningrove steel works ( now part of a newly formed company called British Steel !) they said they rolled C section for forklift manufacturers . Whether they will sell 4m or not I don't know :D
Their forklift profiles on website -
https://britishsteel.co.uk/what-we-do/s ... -profiles/

Incidentally you will find ' Skinningrove' stamped on beams on ships all over the world and they also a big supplier of track pads to Caterpillar and others .

Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

Return to “Telehandlers”