crawler tractor three point linkage

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

crawler tractor three point linkage

Post #1 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:59 pm

some time ago came across an old article on 3pl for crawler tractors and ever since have being trying to find out more about what brands how they worked draft control ect this is the article so thought I would put this article up and see what the uk part of the world say about it as it was from an Australian farm magazine I will await some feedback who no's what I might get seeya Paul Image
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Scooby
Flag: Great Britain

Re: crawler tractor three point linkage

Post #2 by Scooby » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:04 pm

The Turner linkage was made to Roger Dowdeswell's design and was made under licence. http://www.dowdeswell.co.uk/about-us
Six up front .............................means plenty of grunt.

Image Image

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Interesting, thanks for posting.

County1174lwb

Post #4 by County1174lwb » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:04 pm

Seen a few crawlers with linkage about, just a pair of rams on the back and the required arms etc, don't think any had automatic draft control. Just down to the operator to fine tune as they went along.

I think Cat, Fiat, Marshall and even massey had their own linkage designs in the end.
Some late ford crawler conversions based on the 5000 may have used the original linkage thus draft control would still be operable..?

Ian

Scooby

Post #5 by Scooby » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Draft control isn't needed. Grip is not a problem in 99% of cases and if it is so wet that things are sliding about then draft control wouldn't help the situation.
Six up front .............................means plenty of grunt.

Image Image

TrevorJ

Post #6 by TrevorJ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:39 am

When wet, the eastern coastal plains of Queensland though varied in soil types present the main issue, which is bogging / compaction and surface drainage between soil boundaries where they travel near to the surface.

A second hand Cat Challenger is probably what I'd be looking at if I had that sort of money to spare. Some models boast a sophisticated 3pt linkage for handling contours etc.

Here's one below in the links, being used for cane haulout work - but I expect there's detailed information on the web about it's linkage system. (I just couldn't find the video taken from inside the challenger itself while loading cane)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kKW06dzhc
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK2fKpnWWQM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbUWrv0EDcY

Topic author
Mrsmackpaul

Post #7 by Mrsmackpaul » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:54 pm

thanks fellas for the replies was surprised there was no comment on what I understand to be a miss print about the Muir Hill crawler. Thought it might have got lost in translation about crawler tractor draft control as it says the track Marshall has draft control but I think they were talking about the line of draft in relation between the height between the plough and were the lower arms attach weather the crawler is pulling the plow into the soil or out .does anyone no of any other brands of 3pl for crawlers made in the UK. Found a D5 cat with 3pl over there was going great guns withe the email's till I told the dealer I was in Australia and havnt heard back since :cry: some times it is just to hard to spend money anyway will keep on looking I thought I would try to find out about types of linkage the good the bad ect before booking a flight on the big kero kite for a looksee seeya's and keep any info coming as it is all a learning curve thanks again
Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

RichardJW~

Post #8 by RichardJW~ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:58 am

Mrsmackpaul wrote: some times it is just to hard to spend money anyway will keep on looking I thought I would try to find out about types of linkage the good the bad ect before booking a flight on the big kero kite for a looksee seeya's and keep any info coming as it is all a learning curve thanks again
Paul

just ask them or some other dealers to keep their eyes open for 3 pt linkage to suit a crawler and pallet it up, wire them the money they would then ship to you. It should just bolt on to a home-grown machine then.
I picked up some D4 stuff off e-bay for hundreds, rather than thousands............just got to get round to fitting it now :arrrrgh:

dieseldogg

Post #9 by dieseldogg » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:36 pm

Why is (most?) crawler 3 point linkage so different to wheeled tractor 3 point linkage.
In that the tractor/crawler end of the top-link is mounted very very very low, generally so low as to allow no room for a PTO.
Or is /was that unique to Track Marshalls?
Sommat to do with the linkage geometery (designed by Dowsdwell?, was it), but why?
cheers
marcus

RichardJW~

Post #10 by RichardJW~ » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:11 pm

dieseldogg wrote:Why is (most?) crawler 3 point linkage so different to wheeled tractor 3 point linkage.
In that the tractor/crawler end of the top-link is mounted very very very low, generally so low as to allow no room for a PTO.
Or is /was that unique to Track Marshalls?
Sommat to do with the linkage geometery (designed by Dowsdwell?, was it), but why?
cheers
marcus

Well the rock-shaft is external on the crawler linkage and runs across where the higher top link point on a tractor would be, lower down also concentrates the stress and strain on the lower bolt holes where the drawbar mounts - designed to pull from.

Return to “Tractors”