Massey Ferguson 6180 electrical

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
soupy

Massey Ferguson 6180 electrical

Post #1 by soupy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:59 pm

My 6180 will completely shut down if bounced or jarred while doing field work.That is the previous issue.My current issue is I have no power in the cab when I turn on the ignition switch,dash doesn't light up at all.I changed the ignition switch and still no response.There is 12 volts coming into the ignition switch.I'm wondering if the jarring in the field has loosened a connection.Has anyone else had these issues?Any input would be appreciated.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Massey Ferguson 6180 electrical

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi Jeff and welcome to CMN :wave: I hope that somebody on here can point you in the right direction, myself I would start by checking any earth clamps and connections around the starter motor and the battery itself. Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere, perhaps a local auto sparky could help you?

Jeremy

Topic author
soupy

Post #3 by soupy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi Jeremy
I cleaned the negative battery terminal ,it and the cable end look good.I'll check at the starter and anyother grounds again just to be sure everything is ok.
Thanks for the Welcome and the suggestion.
Best Regards
Jeff

Inter674

Post #4 by Inter674 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:45 am

You have probably fixed the problem by now but in my experience these tractor electricals are poorly built and subject to corrosion at various points, eg., earth straps for the battery and ecu as well as in the loom connectors -some of which are sealed and others are not. The main connectors under the hood are a real problem often corroding or fusing out. The fuses at the front are also a good source of issues. There is also a splice in the wiring loom near to the ecu which corrodes and fails and which is hard to spot because it is wrapped in loom tape! A good multimeter is needed to chase the electrickery from the battery back to the main fuse panel in the cab and on to the ecu etc. The connector loom latches to the ecu also fail and the plug comes loose hence the ecu may power up and power down according to vibrations and knocks and there are issues with the ecu itself that don't bear mentioning - best to get another one if that is suspect.

Given the symptom I would strongly suspect a connector somewhere is loose or corroded between the IGN sw and the ecu - most likelky in and around the ecu itself which is a tangle of wires and plugs :dizzy: .

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I would agree with the last post from experience and what I have seen on the Farming forum. Poor connectors are a problem and a weak join can cause high resistance and heat before total failure. Do you look at the Brit Farming forum as no doubt someone will have an idea of where to look?

Topic author
soupy

Post #6 by soupy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Thank you for all of your posts
The problem traced back to a spade connector at the ig switch that had to be recrimped,just a minor amount of slop(so to speak)didn't allow for enough contact.
The mechanic did point out the problem with the underhood connections and suggest that I cut them out and join the wiring with solder filled shrink tubing.Hopefully with everyones imput here we will help someone else in the future.
Thanks Again.
Jeff

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Glad you got it sorted Jeff. :rockon:

Jeremy

Return to “Tractors”