battery charging problem

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
2414.ginger
Flag: Great Britain

battery charging problem

Post #1 by 2414.ginger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi
For some time I have been wondering if my DB 990 charges properly, always spins over a lot faster after charging up battery, which needs to be every 2/3 weeks this cold weather, so after looking on you tube and borrowing a multimeter off I went.
Anyway at rest I had 12.6v, so started up and yes I had 12.6v, now you tube led me to believe I should have at least 13.6v.
So decided dynamo needed checking, back on you tube, did the test with F and D wired together and had 23.7v, pretty good I thought, must be fault in regulator.
Back to you tube but didn't get much luck, anyway after taking out throttle linkage, loosening steering column, and shunting bonnet I am in behind dash, I have a Lucas RB 108 with D E A F terminals, did volt check, D 12.9 , A 12.8, F 12.7, then I find that the earth wire just hangs around, not a very good earth I'm thinking, here's my problem, make good the earth, then I have D 12.9, A 0.04, F 12.7, I do now realise that I should have done A on an amp setting, anyway after putting all back I'm charging at 13.0v, am improvement , but not as much as I'd hoped for.
Now next morning, I have 12.6v and after firing up yes I have 12.6v, (short lived euphoria).
Where do I go from here, I believe that this regulator is adjustable (you tube) does anyone think this is my next move?
Or have any other suggestions
Thanks in anticipation, Pete

martyn williams

Re: battery charging problem

Post #2 by martyn williams » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 pm

You can adjust some regulators,the outer covers are sometimes riveted to the back plate. You need to be looking for around the 14 volt for charging,too high and you will boil the battery. Check all connections are good.If you are not using the tractor for weeks at a time,its always best to take the battery off the machine in very cold weather and give the battery a trickle charge.By doing this the battery will last longer.
Martyn

Diglet

Post #3 by Diglet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:34 am

When you start up, A and F (big & small respectively) on the generator should be connected together by the regulator. The voltage and current coils (could be 1 or 2 relays depending on type) then cut in and out to regulate the charge current and voltage.
A fully charged battery should sit at about 12.4V.
It sounds like your generator is fine, but good reliable quick test is to disconnect the belt and wires. Take a jump lead from the non earth terminal of the battery (+ if it's negative earth), touch it to the big terminal (A) and it should motor. Touch both terminals and it should boot up with some vigor.
Messing with the regulator, on the other hand, can be fraught. You need a volt & current meter that have been certified (checked for accuracy).
If you have a hand book it may tell you the procedure, but if you get it wrong you could damage both the generator and the battery.
You short the current coil and set the voltage, then open circuit the voltage coil and set the current (as I remember it).
If you don't have the book, look through manuals for the same era, many vehicles, cars and lorries used the same electrical equipment.
One last thing. Solar panels are getting cheaper all the time and are a good and simple way of maintaining a little used battery.
Hope this helps.

modelman093

Post #4 by modelman093 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Diglet wrote:When you start up, A and F (big & small respectively) on the generator should be connected together by the regulator. The voltage and current coils (could be 1 or 2 relays depending on type) then cut in and out to regulate the charge current and voltage.
A fully charged battery should sit at about 12.4V.
It sounds like your generator is fine, but good reliable quick test is to disconnect the belt and wires. Take a jump lead from the non earth terminal of the battery (+ if it's negative earth), touch it to the big terminal (A) and it should motor. Touch both terminals and it should boot up with some vigor.
Messing with the regulator, on the other hand, can be fraught. You need a volt & current meter that have been certified (checked for accuracy).
If you have a hand book it may tell you the procedure, but if you get it wrong you could damage both the generator and the battery.
You short the current coil and set the voltage, then open circuit the voltage coil and set the current (as I remember it).
If you don't have the book, look through manuals for the same era, many vehicles, cars and lorries used the same electrical equipment.
One last thing. Solar panels are getting cheaper all the time and are a good and simple way of maintaining a little used battery.
Hope this helps.

All the above plus I seem to remember that there were different values to the settings dependant on ambient temperature at the time of adjusting! Also remember that some control boxes were adjusted with a toothed key that engaged toothed segments on the coils and facilitated very precise adjustments. - but ir was a long time ago!!

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Assuming your earth is OK have you given any thought to whether or not the starter is not 100%. Some of ours have been revived by our local man skimming off the commutator ring.

Topic author
2414.ginger

Post #6 by 2414.ginger » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:You can adjust some regulators,the outer covers are sometimes riveted to the back plate. You need to be looking for around the 14 volt for charging,too high and you will boil the battery. Check all connections are good.If you are not using the tractor for weeks at a time,its always best to take the battery off the machine in very cold weather and give the battery a trickle charge.By doing this the battery will last longer.
Martyn

thanks Martin tractor is used every day 2/3 times for 15/30 minutes each time, will oil or grease on battery terminals be a help or hindrance to getting good contact?

Topic author
2414.ginger

Post #7 by 2414.ginger » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks Diglet
Will try that test on dynamo, if it is OK why am I not getting an increase in voltage with engine running? Is this down to regulator not putting out enough charge? It sounds like playing with a regulator could be a bit risky!!

Thanks also to modelman and essexpete, I don't think starter is a problem as it spins over fine when battery has been on charge, indicating to me that battery and starter are ok as seems to be dynamo, but I'm just not getting charge back into battery.

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 pm

Its best to make sure that the terminals are clean and clamp bolts tight.Put some vaseline on the terminals.This prevents verdegrie built up,a powdery green deposit. The older tractors with a dynamos don't put as much charge into a battery as fast an alternator.So with short bursts of work and stopping and starting it puts a strain on the battery.Also old battery leads will effect performance with a greater electrical resistance in old leads.If the leads get warm when starting,thats a sign of high resistance and poor connections or failing leads.
Martyn

ki fisher

Post #9 by ki fisher » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 am

My 2 cents worth would be to put a Bosch internal reg alternator on it and you shouldnt have troubles for a long time. I have never been a fan of generators though.

Return to “Tractors”