County Tractors

Discuss tractors here

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Re: County Tractors

Post #151 by XS650 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:44 am

FC1174 at Malvern , hiding behind the enormous bucket on the right was a Fordson Dexta,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

BulldozerD11

Post #152 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 pm

A good few examples were on show and in action at the 'Blue Force' Club "Ford Conversions Event" nr Lincoln/Sleaford end of September 2012.

Along with Doe, Roadless, Muir-Hill, Northrop, Matbro and others all based on Ford tractors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Gavin Phillips

Post #153 by Gavin Phillips » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:41 pm

In regards to the County TW1184 with the front and rear mounted plough, was this something that was done regularly? From a balance point of view I can imagine it might be useful (I've seen some speedbump disasters with a regular tractor and a big plough mounted) but wouldn't it put alot of strain on the suspension, steering and who knows what else?

Awesome pictures, looks like a great event to attend!
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

hair bear

Post #154 by hair bear » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Chaps, my first post on here so I hope I'm not covering old ground (so to speak...).
I live very close to the location of the CCC factory so I have a bit of a soft spot for these machines and have seen some very strange things. There were two versions of the 1164 Victor cab, one had a narrow vertical window, probably 6-8" wide between the door hinge and the side window - I dont know why - I am aware that some CD50 crawlers were made with an extra dummy transmission case to extend the wheelbase and were known as 'Long Swamp' tractors but I don't think this was the case with the 1164 unless it had the Brockhouse torque converter option perhaps.
The tyred tractors with the wrapround tracks are called Finn-Tracks.
Interesting to see the 8200 included in this thread, I think I'm right in saying early ones were made at Fleet and Basildon ones were built with County kits.
As for the rare ones, I thought there was only one 1254 built (no cab and round U.S. style mudguards) as the 1454 was nearly the same price. I have only ever seen one 1164P (Perkins engine, green mechanicals, red 1184 style bonnet, no cab), and the one I'd dearly love to trace was a prototype 3000-4 with a torque converter.
I don't care if they needed 40 acres to turn around, and I will admit to using a 764 on a yard scraper (not recommended!) they'll always be the best to me.
Rob.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Gavin Phillips

Post #155 by Gavin Phillips » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:11 pm

Was the range of crawlers produced by County as diverse as their wheeled machines were? I don't believe I have any brochures covering the crawler machines; priority going to getting such material for the vehicles that I've managed to photograph (the 1164 in my case).

Is still wish I could have heard and seen it working!

Tracshovel
Flag: France

Post #156 by Tracshovel » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:32 pm

Gavin Phillips wrote:In regards to the County TW1184 with the front and rear mounted plough, was this something that was done regularly? From a balance point of view I can imagine it might be useful (I've seen some speedbump disasters with a regular tractor and a big plough mounted) but wouldn't it put alot of strain on the suspension, steering and who knows what else?

Awesome pictures, looks like a great event to attend!

Gavin,
Push Pull plough set up were not very common in the 80's when they were introduced. The main idea behind it was the ability to plough more furrows for the same horsepower as a standard rear mount. The idea did work and if combined with equal wheel drive gave some impressive work rates. But due to a combination of expense, strain on the standard tractor bellhousing and more difficult handling, the idea never took off. Also the advent of more high horsepower tractors with 4WD at reasonable prices put paid to the idea.
I will look out an 1154 with Ransomes set up for you.
Last edited by Tracshovel on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

hair bear

Post #157 by hair bear » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:10 am

I'm not that familiar with the crawlers but I think...
E27N petrol/TVO
E27N Perkins (no clue which model)
DDN Major 'Ploughman' (Blue)
DDN Major 'CD 50' 'CD55' (yellow)
All were available with Bomford dozer blades and Boughton winches. The 'Long swamp' tractors had longer track frames ( 5 rollers instead if 3? or was it 7 instead of 5? No, can't remember...) and grouser plates up to 3' wide simply to spread weight. There was also the side boom crane developed for pipeline work, and a prototype which may have been a Bomford Sapper loader called the Trackscavator.
At least 3 Long swamps were built on Power Major skid units, they may have been the last. I don't think there were any built on the Force skid unit.
Edited to add...
I've just noticed there's a CD50 on the CMN banner!

County_Fan

Post #158 by County_Fan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:25 pm

My first post!

I have joined here to get some advice if I may. There are two countys coming up for auction in Australia (http://www.clancyscollection.com), unreserved, and I wanted some information on them. It is hard to find much on these machines. there are not many out here, and I wouldnt mind one to put beside my 5000.

Can you tell me if these are collectable, and if there is anything I should know before purchasing? I believe they both run? I am sure a UK buyer might snap them up on me though! :P

I am not sure what this model is:

...and this one? Which I think looks the goods! :D

Cheers!

Gavin Phillips

Post #159 by Gavin Phillips » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:44 pm

The second is a 1454, but I can only tell you that because I can see the model number. Having a cab on the machine sure makes it look more imposing!

Not that I'd have the cash or space to get one of those but they are both marvelous looking machines.

Best of luck.

hair bear

Post #160 by hair bear » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Top one is a 754 I think, certainly 4 cyl, and no turbo. If you give it a good look over there should be a plate on or near the dash. Good to pair with a 5000 sizewise (don't know what those wheel inserts are for).
The 1454 appears to have a Roadless 118 cab on it. Both nice machines, but I'd definately look at losing that cab.

Return to “Tractors”