One for Fordson buffs!

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

One for Fordson buffs!

Post #1 by hair bear » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:56 pm

I need help identifying a Major that has crossed my path and I'm starting to think it may be of the 'Heinz' variety. Sorry I don't have any pics yet but hopefully a description will do!
Engine; normal 4d, vacuum govenor, Simms pump with 8 bolt cover direct driven (no coupling shaft), exhaust on a 180 U and comes up the outside of the bonnet, throttle lever under fuel tank, 2 blade fan.
Gearbox; ratio lever up for low - down for high, not live drive.
Brakes; drum covers set into mudguards, ratchet and 't lock' park brakes.
Tinwork; Oval badge on nose, left cover has air cleaner and exhaust holes, badges state Power Major, no dials or clocks on tank, no headlight holes in the grilles.
Wheels; rears normal Fordson, front 3 spoke cast.

I'm thinking Diesel Major with Power Major bonnet and front wheels. Any thoughts?

Been stood 15 years so what harm could a quick tow do??? It started and ran, although only on one pot! How many modern 4 cyl engines would run with 3 not firing? 3 stuck pump plungers which are yet to be dealt with - then its' playtime.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

essexpete

Re: One for Fordson buffs!

Post #2 by essexpete » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:05 am

https://www.selen.nu/cgi-bin/trsnr.pl?lang=en
Have a look for the casting codes. If the tractor is original they should all be close and also tie up withe tractor/engine no.

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:07 am

You can sometimes free off the plungers by running ATF into the pump. Also make sure the rack is free to move properly.
Last edited by essexpete on Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
hair bear

Post #4 by hair bear » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:20 pm

Hadn't thought of atf, currently soaking in diesel till next weekend. I'll go number hunting when the opportunity arises

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:55 pm

Have a look at the Fordson pages forum there are a few pictures on there with casting code locations.

Topic author
hair bear

Post #6 by hair bear » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:55 am

The rest of the plungers freed off ok and started straight up. A little smokey but not complaining, probably the valve stem seals. The hydraulics appear to be good but as yet I've not loaded the arms. The electrics are a real mess but a quick work around has at least got the starter working. The rest will be time and patience, although I've no doubt if the opportunity arises and the owners' not looking it'll have a plough on for a bit of practice. I'm used to a 35x/b12 rig so a Major/FR is going to be, I suspect, a bit of a step backwards but I like a challenge.

Topic author
hair bear

Post #7 by hair bear » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:34 pm

Finally found a casting code - J 19 A - July 19th, 1957, that's the date for the bell housing anyway. I'm still at a loss to find any other numbers anywhere. Now it's had a good steam and a lot of paint has come off it's obvious the engine is not original, nor the back wheels, bonnet, front wheels, wings... 'Trigger's Broom' comes to mind. Still, it's complete, it works, it's sort of useable, and as it's not original the odd non standard part or mod won't upset the purists.
I do need to sit down and concentrate on the brakes and electrics next so don't expect a follow up anytime soon!

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:56 pm

The brake and axle trumpets will have the short code somewhere in the middle facing either forward or back side depending. Similar code on top cover towards the rear, front tombstone. There used to be some photos of code locations on the Fordson pages but I cannot find them for you.

Topic author
hair bear

Post #9 by hair bear » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:00 am

Aha, that's clearer than other info I've had. I'll give it a go. I tried joining the Fordson pages but for some reason it wouldn't let me register. The chassis plate (square plate, engine side of firewall, rhs of tractor) is present but completely smooth. The machined engine number location on the block between no. 1&2 is smooth, but there is a similar machined surface at no. 4 - this clearly has an 'S' on it - nothing else. The other possibility I'm told is behind the starter but again nothing obvious unless the starter has to be removed to see it?
I think getting it registered is going to be a nightmare!

Topic author
hair bear

Post #10 by hair bear » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:56 pm

I think I've confirmed my thoughts.
Front wheels/axle '60
Tombstone '58
Engine '54
Bell housing '57
HPL '59
I haven't got the back end codes yet, but forget Trigger's broom, it's more 'One Piece At A Time'.

Return to “Tractors”