IH 275 No Compression

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
Richard53
Flag: Great Britain

IH 275 No Compression

Post #1 by Richard53 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:48 pm

I have a problem with my IH 275, the engine was rebuilt last year has been running really well.

When using it recently engine cut out suddenly whilst using forklift.

Have taken the rocker cover off, valves and rockers are moving OK, engine appears to be turning over very quickly but no air suction on the inlet valves.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any advise welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

Jeremy Rowland

Re: IH 275 No Compression

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi Richard and welcome to CMN :wave: If your engine suddenly cut out I would be looking at fuel problems not possible major engine faults. Generally diesel engines can only lose compression if; the valve seats have cracked, the bores and rings are badly worn, or the valve clearances are incorrectly set.
What makes you believe that you have no suction on the inlet valves? Another thing to try that could be the problem is that something suddenly restricted the air intake; the simple thing is to disconnect the air ducting/filter from the inlet manifold and see if it starts.
I hope this helps please let us know how you get on. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun May 01, 2016 9:42 pm

maybe check the timing as a keyway may have come out or come loose out of the timing gears

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon May 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Mrsmackpaul wrote:maybe check the timing as a keyway may have come out or come loose out of the timing gears

Paul

Paul if that has happened then you would be looking at an engine strip down because the valves will most likely have come into contact with the tops of the pistons causing the valves to bend and not seat correctly; however if that had of happened I suspect that the engine would not turn over and the rockers would not move.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 am

Can you put your hand over the exhaust as you are turning it over that would prove if you have some compression.
Jeremy is probably right. You are unlikely to have suddenly lost total compression suddenly like that without other major symptoms. Do you get any white/grey smoke as you turnover the engine?

Return to “Tractors”