Massey FF30 DS oil leaks + flail

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
Brittany Fergie
Flag: France

Massey FF30 DS oil leaks + flail

Post #1 by Brittany Fergie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi, an update on my Fergie - haven't had the time to take it apart to change the oil seals but a couple of cans of oil leak stuff has helped so it'll wait till the winter - but thanks for all the advice.

I've bought an old Sovema flail mower for clearing scrub - I'm pleased with it and it works very well but my question is can I only operate the 3 point lift on my tractor with the pto shaft running or am I missing something?

I know you guys like pictures so here is the new addition.

Cheers Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Massey FF30 DS oil leaks + flail

Post #2 by hair bear » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Jerry,
Useful combination there.
On these Fergies the PTO shaft actually runs direct through the hydraulic pump so PTO out or clutch down = no lift. When the 35 series was introduced there was a 2 stage clutch fitted so the PTO continued to drive without forward motion. These are refered to as 'live drive'.
The flail doesn't seem to have done a lot of work, plenty of life in it yet. I remember using something similar cutting thistles near a golf driving range - golf balls sure do sting when they come out the front of one of them!
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
Brittany Fergie

Post #3 by Brittany Fergie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks Rob, I thought that was the case but wanted to check. I'll just have to dismount the shaft to move around with the flail lifted but no problem - I'm really pleased with it and it'll get lots of work both her and at some of the properties we look after! Not sure of it's age but it's in good nick with no noise from the bearings and no leaks - might need some more blades eventually but ok for now. I think it's the Sovema TFL model with a 1.4m cut.

hair bear

Post #4 by hair bear » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:26 pm

The Fergie 3 sided pto stub guard is still available and a good investment. Also, some spare flails and shackles are good to have as loosing a flail puts the rotor off balance and vibration is the killer of most varieties of this type of kit.
As a curiosity, are you using a stub shaft adaptor or does the joint go straight on?

Topic author
Brittany Fergie

Post #5 by Brittany Fergie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:24 am

Hi Rob, yes the pto guard is a good idea, I'll look into it and yes I have an adaptor to go from the smaller Fergie shaft to the larger flail shaft.

hair bear

Post #6 by hair bear » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:04 am

If you're intending to travel very far by road, we used to put a shackle on the knuckle pin, then with the arms right up fit a chain from the left lower link pin - through the shackle - and down to the right lower link pin. This stopped the arms dropping so you carry the impliment locked up and not on the hydraulics.

Return to “Tractors”