out ploughing again

Discuss tractors here

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Re: out ploughing again

Post #11 by TrevorJ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:11 pm

There were a lot of "myths" around the Inter's TA. ;) I was told that one shouldn't work them in low or high for long periods and it needed to be engaged and disengaged for oil heat buildup issues ... how true that is, I've got no idea.

I wouldn't like to be working an old Inter without the TA though.

Not the oil? Not that I care if anyone believes, but I can say I watched an old inter destined to be a pull apart job, (as it had to be towed back to the shed because it wouldn't get there under its own steam) ... getting back to work finally with "better" oil, ripping hard, as well as sticking in the higher range of gears without the slightest hint there was any problems with the TA. Proof of the pudding is in the eating I say ... it could have just been sheer coincidence, but what are the odds.

I've even pointed out the oil / TA issue to various farmers after noting their old girl was starting to slip and the oil they were using ... but most were adamant they'll stick fast to the hydraulic transmission oil, that's what their oil guy told them after all ... etc.

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by bigkit » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:29 pm

IMO go with the OEM recommendations. The manufactures don't put thousands into R and D if any old oil would do. You wouldn't put 15/40 in your new discovery 'coz the boy in the garage said it would be OK would you, you'd look in the book first!!! :angel:

TrevorJ

Post #13 by TrevorJ » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:45 am

EXACTLY. International and their agents sold their own oil, but smartly labeled it as Hydraulic Transmission oil - the exact phrasing I can't remember right now ... but it was more a "trade" name than what the oil actually was. When Case took over they continued supplying the oil

The old fella from Caltex, stated that Caltex were actually the company that manufactured and packaged the oil for International, and he had no doubts whatsoever to what specs the right oil was, and Caltex'x match which was very close was labeled "Tractor 1." It's not like he just told me, he brought out a lot of old charts and sheets of complicated specs, because obviously I too was very skeptical ... at first. He did me a huge favour, and frankly I was surprised he hadn't told more farmers in my area, but then again, in hindsight he was probably bound by some confidentiality clause and had opted as a one off to save someone a lot of dramas.

Shell, Mobil, and others on the other hand, were probably not privy to what actually went into the "proper" product sold by International back then. I think though most though Hey we've got a hydraulic / transmission oil that is actually better, less friction etc and the rest is IMO what happened to the majority of TA's here in our parts.

Obviously that fact my old bird went really pear shaped so quickly after it's original oil service, prompted questions of oil tampering or mislabeled product. However it had been slipping in it's highest gears quite one time before it got serviced with a new batch of donex. However even if someone did tamper with one of the drums, the fact the old girl with the right oil finally, returned to good performance even in the highest gears, told me a lot.

Topic author
Mrsmackpaul

Post #14 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Trev HYtran is the IH oil I still use it it dosnt cost anymore than the other brands maybe even less

Big kit you put it well to me its just common sense

anyway after a whole heap if interruptions I finally got the paddock finish with the ploughing

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

deer are big problem on the island so as we cut cane we put up a electric fence to keep the deer out and the cane growing
We had some cane cut this week so spent a day putting some fence up I guess it must 300 meters long a lot of posts this year as with the dry conditions the deer are starving and will push thru the fence if they get half a chance

DSCF0915.JPG

DSCF0888.JPG

the trouble makers

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

seeya

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

hair bear

Post #15 by hair bear » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:16 pm

I seem to remember a farm I worked on had a UK spec 1977 IH 574 with a manual 'box which had to have some special stupidly expensive oil 'only available from IH' in the back end. One hot day it stopped lifting the arms, fitter comes out, fiddled with something that made the arms work, then announced that the oil had boiled and all needed replacing. He was very quick to re-can what he drained out and disappear with it!
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

TrevorJ

Post #16 by TrevorJ » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Yeah thanks Paul, I could not quite pull that name from my head. Yeah the price for HyTran back then wasn't anything standout either. However if the IH shop is shut the weekend you need oil, you sort of jump to what's next best and what's available that should be close to right without any problems.

We used HyTran up until a weekend which for some reason someone though it needed an oil / filter change to be done and some other oil was all that could be sourced. Same thing I think happened over another weekend when I chose to grab three drums of donax. (* Restating again -- I emphasise I do pick on donax only for what I see as the main culprit in other Inters I've come across in my region, where the TA slips and dies slowly until the TA needs to be rebuilt. I got lucky in a sense as my situation (where finally the tractor would not move) could not have been entirely down to a certified oil -- at least one of the drums must have been mislabeled or someone introduced a friction proofing additive into the system shortly afterwards.)

Same goes for JD oil, it seems to be priced reasonably in my area and would not use anything else for their transmissions.

Deer ... where on earth are they coming from, you don't have a national park nearby?

If they are feral, you could always put a couple in the freezer.

Feral pigs would be the more common problem with cane growing around the range areas of Mackay - Sarina.

Rob it sounds like the oil foamed, unless he meant it was burnt oil.

bigkit

Post #17 by bigkit » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:55 pm

Here you go Paul. I went out ploughing with some friends yesterday. I had a great start but messed up big time on the finish! It was like scoring an own goal in a cup final!!!! :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Mrsmackpaul

Post #18 by Mrsmackpaul » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:58 am

Trev Hytran is nice and cheap I feel compared to any other brand

The deer are a massive problem here this year so much so we have postponed growing peanuts till the wet season starts the deer are eating 15 acres of cane every night
The Princess and I are going out 3 times a night shooting and the neighbor goes in between our times so we check each others cane 5 times a night and the little darlings are still giving us curry we 8.30 12 and 4 neighbor does 10 and 2 we have had a huge amount of trouble keeping them out last night was the first night we saw none dunno how many have been shot on my farm this year must be around 30 in the last few weeks

3 fellas bought 6 deer to the island around 35 years ago they have bread to over 3500 since and the island hasnt grown to match them I have eaten heaps taste alright to but there is only so many you can eat

so with any luck peanuts will be going in around Christmas if we get a wet season

The old IH has developed a hydraulic pump problem not pumping real flash anymore I had same problem one other time I just replaced the pump and away it went fine so Im not sure whats crook inside I'll pull the old pump apart when I get a chance and see whats up

Paul

TrevorJ

Post #19 by TrevorJ » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:28 pm

As for the pumps, they used to sell kits for both. The kits are basically just a couple of shim plates that sit neatly beside both gears, but I've really only every had trouble with the one on the left side. There's also a few bits in the valve block behind the clutch which affect the pumps priming as well, and it doesn't hurt to get the kit for that valve block and change all the orings there as well as the gaskets.

Eating 15 acres of cane a night, if you're talking mature cane ... strewth that's no good at all. Actually it's pretty bad even if it is the ratoons let alone plant cane.

Pity there isn't some "stock lick" one could buy to put out in the paddock that made them drop off to sleep so that they could be caught and sent off to the local butcher.

Hopefully those deer get smart and figure out they are better off elsewhere ... but if they are like cattle, (which some learn where they can hide so you can't see them with your lights) you might have a busy year with it being so dry.

Topic author
Mrsmackpaul

Post #20 by Mrsmackpaul » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:54 am

yeah Trev new ratoons and plant cane the old 303 has sorted out a whole heap over the years but they are breading faster than I can take care of them

The best bate is called Lucijet for treating sheep for fly strike you spray it on what you are trying to protect and anything that eats it wont go very far before dropping off the perch but it kills what ever eats them so I havent used it yet

Paul

Return to “Tractors”