Leyland 272 Fuel starvation problem

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
jtsfahy

Leyland 272 Fuel starvation problem

Post #1 by jtsfahy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:28 pm

I recently purchased a leyland 272, for the first while it was running fine, but then started to cut out after running for a while. I suspected it was a dirty fuel filter as i had this problem with a DB a few years ago. I replaced the filter but this did not solve the problem. The problem seems to be getting fuel from the tank to the fuel filter. When the tractor cuts out the filter is empty. When i prime it by hand (which takes time) so that diesel comes out of the top of the filter when i open the bolt on top, it starts up again. Could this mean that my fuel pump is knackered?

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Leyland 272 Fuel starvation problem

Post #2 by hair bear » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi, and welcome.
First check the tap on the tank is turned on! Then I'd take the fuel line off the bottom of the tank to see if anything comes out. If yes, then blow the tank-to-filter line out. If no then the pencil filter in the bottom of the tank is likely gummed up. Unscrew the tap from the tank, clean and replace.
Be aware that fuel should pour out when you remove the tap. If it's really clogged up there's a good chance the tank could do with a swill out.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

johndeere7530
Flag: Ireland

Post #3 by johndeere7530 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:02 pm

jtsfahy wrote:I recently purchased a leyland 272, for the first while it was running fine, but then started to cut out after running for a while. I suspected it was a dirty fuel filter as i had this problem with a DB a few years ago. I replaced the filter but this did not solve the problem. The problem seems to be getting fuel from the tank to the fuel filter. When the tractor cuts out the filter is empty. When i prime it by hand (which takes time) so that diesel comes out of the top of the filter when i open the bolt on top, it starts up again. Could this mean that my fuel pump is knackered?

How long does it run before it cuts out after u get it going?

Do the Leyland have a lift pump on them?

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:26 pm

sounds like you have something int the tank hair bear is on to it :thumbup:

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
jtsfahy

Post #5 by jtsfahy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:44 am

Thanks lads, will try that this evening and will get back with the results ASAP!

hair bear

Post #6 by hair bear » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:48 am

Let us know what you find.
If the machine has been stood a while the tanks could be contaminated with 'diesel bug'. See...
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?64068-Diesel-Bug-fact-or-fiction

Topic author
jtsfahy

Post #7 by jtsfahy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Opened the tap fully on the bottom of the tank this evening and took off the fuel line, and nothing came out, knowing there was at least 2 gallons of fuel in it!!! Took the tap off the tank and the fuel tap gauze was really gummed up. I rang the local supplier and he has one in stock, so will have it fitted over the weekend. Hopefully this should put an end to my trouble!

hair bear

Post #8 by hair bear » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:00 am

Really sounds like you want to give the tank a good clean out while you have the pipes off. If I remember it's not difficult to remove the tank, then you can put some elbow grease into swilling the contents around and pouring it out of the filler - depending on what comes out you may need to rinse and repeat - otherwise you could be back where you started in short order. If all is well and with a reasonable amount of fuel it should almost gravity feed.
Good luck!

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #9 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:16 am

hair bear's onto it if it was mine I would pull the tank off leave some fuel in it chuck a hand full of nuts and bolts in it and shake it around a bit to loosen all the crap up in there or strap it to cement mixer if you have access to one

URL of the original image: http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag265/MrsMackPaul/fueltank2_zpsbd55de29.png
URL of the original image: http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag265/MrsMackPaul/fueltank1_zpsea0c46c9.png
URL of the original image: http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag265/MrsMackPaul/fueltank4_zps2928aa98.png
URL of the original image: http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag265/MrsMackPaul/fueltank3_zps7a1d6761.png

this the type of thing I am talking about they say a picture is worth a thousand words

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

hair bear

Post #10 by hair bear » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:25 am

If you do use nuts and bolts, count them in and count them out.

:offtopic: I spy a 205! Mine's a 1987 XE, what's yours? :offtopic:

Return to “Tractors”