Ransomes

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
FordsonMajor

Ransomes

Post #1 by FordsonMajor » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Good Evening/ Morning Gentlemen.

A friend of mine has some model of Ransomes crawler an MG? But it has no motor, hes looking to put a small Japanese motor on there with a centrifugal clutch.

What im wondering is, is there anything that i have to be wary and look out for as im going to surprise im and buy him the motor.

Also if i find a genuine Ransome motor, are any motor from the MG range able to mate up with a different model eg an MG3 motor with an MG5 tractor?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards, Lindsay.
Enfield Logic: Who cares if the Mauser can handle a stronger cartridge? While you're still working you're Mauser action to make up for you're miss, my 2nd round is already there.

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Ransomes

Post #2 by modelman093 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Try the Vintage Horticultural and Garden Machinery site - lots of Ransomes owners there.

http://www.vhgmc.co.uk/

Topic author
FordsonMajor

Post #3 by FordsonMajor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:09 am

Thanks very much Angus.
Enfield Logic: Who cares if the Mauser can handle a stronger cartridge? While you're still working you're Mauser action to make up for you're miss, my 2nd round is already there.

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by hair bear » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 pm

I've seen it done with with a Honda on an MG6 using the original clutch. Rather nausiating in some respects as it was so quiet, and so easy to start!
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

tamarisk1979

Post #5 by tamarisk1979 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 am

The original Engine would have been a J.A.P single cylinder job... I would imagine any late model engine fitted would need to develope same HP at the same revs... worth noting the J.A.P engines had a heavy flywheel.
cheers don downunder

Kenham

Post #6 by Kenham » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Sorry but Ransomes only fitted there own engines to MG crawlers except for the Drayton diesels on later machines. The thought of something like a honda engine on such a machine is pretty dire. MG2, MG5, MG6 and MG40 is the way the models go. Ken

tamarisk1979

Post #7 by tamarisk1979 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:59 pm

8-) Maybe the Ransomes put together here in Oz differed, to those available in the UK and Europe in general?
The one I had back in 1963 had a JAP 600cc side valve engine... but of course could have been a replacement?
I do know the early ones had the Sturmy Archer engine circa 1936?
Then one I came across being used in the late seventies to remove poultry manure under the cages,from an egg farm.
Had a Sachs diesel engine in it.
I have also heard of another for sale quite recently, powered by a Drayton 34r diesel...
I guess in real many of the original engines have been replaced by those who use this little tractor as a working tractor not as a collectors item. But there are not many left in Oz that still work... cheers don downunder

Inter674

Post #8 by Inter674 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:23 am

I have an opportunity to purchase a battered MG40. Any suggestions as to their value nowadays. The owner is playing the usual make me an offer game!

pS I already have an MG6 and I am looking out for three point linakges to suit. I am located in Tasmania

Return to “Tractors”