BTD20 at work

Discuss tractors here

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: BTD20 at work

Post #11 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi TC,
Your right about that heavy old mainshaft, keep you fit or kill you. :roll: It was made all the more difficult with having to shimm it all up, preload bearings and all that torture. :lol:
If you think it's someting of a marvel in the dozer you should try it in a BTD 20 Drott with the loader frame on it. :doh:
I don't think I'll be doing another. I think I'd need major repairs myself if I got involved at my age. :lol: :lol:
I hope the box in that TD18 I'm doing for Barry stays OK. :doh:
Fred

romneyman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by romneyman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Fred and T C
The early BTD20s {200series} were as Fred said 124 HP, the later (201series) were the 135HP machines.if my memory is correct the only visible diference between them was the air filters, oil bath on the earlier machines and dry on the later ones.
At Savilles so many guys ended up with bad backs and pulled muscles lifting steering clutches and the gearbox shafts out of the 20s that a crane was made up useing an old hydraulic cylinder and ram rod.
This could be bolted to the top of the main frame above the crown wheel and could be swung to each side to lift the clutches and forward to take out the gearbox shafts, that made life a lot easier.
Peter

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #13 by martyn williams » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:28 pm

Picked up the reg and Dynamo for Barry's TD 18, undrstand the injection pump is nearly ready.He said the pipes are sorted.Love to see it running. :thumbup:
Martyn

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #14 by tctractors » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:58 am

1 company I worked for had a small fleet of BTD20's and 24's (Beavers) the early 20's did not have the oil pressure fed gearbox or the hydraulic assistance on the steering, the removing of the top plate was always the pig for me, once it was cut into 2 sections (Gearbox -Bevel case) it was a lot better, if I could I would leave the Cab in place to work on them, this was handy to use a strap over the roof to suck those heavy lumps out, the 20's always had a work recorder fixed in the Cab.

Return to “Tractors”