MF 3165 Industrial Loader with shuttle transmission

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
briandshepherd
Flag: Great Britain

MF 3165 Industrial Loader with shuttle transmission

Post #1 by briandshepherd » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:00 pm

Have recently acquire a MF 3165R loader tractor with Perkins 4203 engine and a fluid flywheel transmission I assume.
It has no clutch, and the brakes are on the left, ..on the right is a pedal rocker that either goes forward or reverse once you have chosen one of the apparently four available gears.
I feel that the oil level in the gearbox is low and am unsure what oil to use.
I am not sure whether it is just normal Tractor Universal oil, or maybe ATF, and is it the same oil as the rear axle and diff and PTO unit or is it independent.
Cannot find any current MF dealer who knows about it, or even prepared to find out, and if anybody can point me to somebody who has some knowledge I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks Brian

taurus MK1

Re: MF 3165 Industrial Loader with shuttle transmission

Post #2 by taurus MK1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:45 pm

:wave: Hi hope this will help you, i have a MF 205 fitted with the instant reverse transmission, as taken from MF serviced manual for Mf 203 205 65s and 65r, the entire transmission assy is housed in a cast iron case which forms a portion of the main tractor structure. the conventional gears run in 5 gallons of gear oil, the instant reverse trans coupled with the torque convertor has 2.1 gallons 9.55 litres.The conventional trans is filled by a plug adjacent to the gear lever whilst the plug for o
the instant rev trans is situated on the right side of the casing near to the clutch pedals.Two magnetic drain plugs serve the automatic trans. One centrally on the forward edge of the sump and the other on the right hand side of the sump. The rearmost plug on the rh side of the trans sump drains the conventional trans. When filling the instant rev trans allow time before taking a dipstick reading.On the instant rev trans oil is added to the level of the filler plug. 600 hour service intervals, a filter is fitted to the lube circuit. Oil stated in manual Castrol ATF, i think i used New Holland Hyrodex which is a 10w ATF the last time i serviced mine.

Regards John :rockon:

Topic author
briandshepherd

Post #3 by briandshepherd » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks so much John,
That makes much more sense to me.
The whole unit is made from 3 castings as far as I can see, the engine unit, the bell housing and section with the gear levers, and the rear transmission section which includes the axle.
I have spotted the filler on the top at the LH side of the gear levers, but it is just a Hex plug with no dipstick and I can see gears inside, but not the oil level, although they are wet with oil, and I had assumed that the similar Hex bung in the RH side of the casing was the level plug for this filler. There is a dipstick on the RH rear side of the axle close to the response control which I assume is the conventional transmission, but is this level affected by the filler next to the gear levers ? If so then the bung on the RH side of the gear casing could be the filler and level plug for the ATF transmission, which I see mentioned elsewhere as Funk.
I can see the allen key type central drain on the front edge of the sump (angled slightly to the RH) , and the two others on the RH edge, front and back, and there is another Hex bung in the centre close to the back of the sump panel, which may be another drain plug.
The tractor works OK but I feel may not have been service as it has been with a haulage contractor who has been loading with it in the yard.
I have worked out that the front loader has a separate hydraulic oil system which the hollow loader frame forms the reservoir for with a sight tube on the side and filler bung at top......I have topped up that level with Hydraulic Oil and the loader now works much better.....I assume the large round "Paint Can" container on the low LH side with a large rubber pipe from it, is the power steering reservoir.
My concerns about the auto transmission are that you don't seem to get much engine braking, and at times on an incline it is prone to run away unless you kick it into reverse, and I am assuming that the levels are low.
Then I have to get the brakes to work, but that might be a more complicated job ..!
If you could point me to a service manual, I am happy to buy one.
Thanks again
Brian

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:50 pm

The large can on the left? That will be the hydraulic filter. You could try selecting a low gear and keeping the revs up when descending a hill so the torque convertor does not stall. Years ago I drove a MF 40 with reversamatic but I don't recall it running away particularly.

taurus MK1

Post #5 by taurus MK1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 pm

:wave: Hi Brian, glad that helped, the filler plug for the instant reverse trans mission is the one by the fwd/rev pedal assy, and one plug by gear levers for the transmission hyds. and centre assemblies. An oil change for the instant reverse trans would be a good idea, to change, run the engine to warm trans/torque converter oil. looking at trans sump underneath there are 10 bolts round the outside and one extra at one end in the centre at the other end to this on the side is the drain plug, at same time change the filter in the small canister near the injection pump. Add oil to filler 5.7 litres. Refit plug and run for 1 minute,remove filler plug and add a further 3.8 litres of oil.replace filler plug run for 5 minutes stop and recheck. The sump on the trans can be dropped to reveal some gauze filters but this is quite a process. as i can remember when i got my 205 the trans was a bit suspect but a good service sorted it. When driving the tractor you must bring tractor to a stop before selecting fwd or reverse, you cannot tow start, and do not drive tractor when trans temp gauge is high select a lower gear or allow engine to idle to cool. The big tin pot is the steering filter, and the oil res for the loader is in the frame, lower loader as if you were travelling on road and check level by tube on side. Will try to find my contact no. for manual, is they are still around or try agri manuals on the net.

Cheers John :rockon:

Topic author
briandshepherd

Post #6 by briandshepherd » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:10 pm

That makes sense, and looks right.
Thanks for your help, I will give it a try as soon as it stops raining.
Will let you know how I go on.

Brian

Return to “Tractors”