MF35 power steering fittment

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
mf50b

MF35 power steering fittment

Post #1 by mf50b » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:50 am

Hi Guys,
Looking at fitting power steering on my 3cyl Perkins MF35 with a FEL
I have had a good look at MF40 industrial backhoe/loaders and attempted to buy conversion parts, steering box, pump, rams etc but price wise its more economical to sell the tractor and upgrade.

I cant use the aftermarket power steering setups as the arm that goes under the sump will foul my FEL assembly (see pics)

I am pretty good mechanically and I think it should be able to be done cheaply. I am looking at using a spool valve off rack & pinion steering from a car, original type power steering pump or automotive one with a remote resovoir, and running 2 small duel action rams from the front axel to the arms on the king pings fitting MF40 steering arms on the king pins.

Big question, would this work? Or is someone able to provide an original type setup at a reasonable price?

regards
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian

Re: MF35 power steering fittment

Post #2 by Julian » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Theoretically I'd say the idea was sound enough. However I can't easily see (in my mind's eye) how you would incorporate the valving (it's not a spool set-up per se) from an automotive rack and pinion system into, or onto, the MF steering box. Remember that these things have a torque tube in them and depend upon a torque input between steering wheel and pinion to move oil around.

I wonder if you could modify the system from an old Ford (like a 4000) that had one of the steering link arm acting as a ram.

Having said that I had a MF135 with a MIL trip FEL. If you blow up the front tyres hard and make sure the thrust bearings in the front spindles are renewed (old ones are always bsuggered) then provided you are not a complete weed you'll find it's OK.....

Julian.

Topic author
mf50b

Post #3 by mf50b » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Julian wrote:Theoretically I'd say the idea was sound enough. However I can't easily see (in my mind's eye) how you would incorporate the valving (it's not a spool set-up per se) from an automotive rack and pinion system into, or onto, the MF steering box. Remember that these things have a torque tube in them and depend upon a torque input between steering wheel and pinion to move oil around.

I wonder if you could modify the system from an old Ford (like a 4000) that had one of the steering link arm acting as a ram.

Having said that I had a MF135 with a MIL trip FEL. If you blow up the front tyres hard and make sure the thrust bearings in the front spindles are renewed (old ones are always bsuggered) then provided you are not a complete weed you'll find it's OK.....

Julian.

Thanks for the reply, I am looking at fitting the rackhead/spool setup into the top of the steering box of the 35. Another option is to use an MF40 steering box & pump then go aftermarket everything else.

I have been looking online tonight at the after market setups and a though came to me in the shower, why not run 2 rams and T off the pump so I have sent off some emails tonight I may get an off the shelf solution yet.

Problem with the tractor once you get a load in the bucket, even with 40psi in the fronts, I have rebuilt the king pins. Also when im slashing a 5 acre paddock and doing a bit of clearing 6-8hours on the tractor takes its toll on my shoulders :)

cheers
Scott

Julian

Post #4 by Julian » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Agriline appear to sell an ''original'' PS, well it's for a swept axle 135 so it's the same as a 35 I think, and an aftermarket kit too. I'm not sure what your attitude to costs is however.

I see trying to satisfactorily graft a car PS rack head onto the 35 steering box as a potential nightmare!

That said, your 135 is a pretty little tractor and worth a fair few quid, if you bugger around with it via some sort of home made PS then you'll probably crucify its value - maybe you should sell it and buy a Kubota if you regularly have serious jobs to do?

Julian.

Topic author
mf50b

Post #5 by mf50b » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Julian wrote:Agriline appear to sell an ''original'' PS, well it's for a swept axle 135 so it's the same as a 35 I think, and an aftermarket kit too. I'm not sure what your attitude to costs is however.

I see trying to satisfactorily graft a car PS rack head onto the 35 steering box as a potential nightmare!

That said, your 135 is a pretty little tractor and worth a fair few quid, if you bugger around with it via some sort of home made PS then you'll probably crucify its value - maybe you should sell it and buy a Kubota if you regularly have serious jobs to do?

Julian.

Thanks for that its what I have been after, even their after market kit looks the goods with the steering arm going through the engine compartment, but I think spending the extra money on an original type kit would be better for the tractor keeping it in the original/period look. In Australia 1 supplier wants $2500AU so even the after market kit is a great price.

At the end of the day as I have my tractor the way I want it and to sell it and start again with an unknown machine its taken 2 years to get it almost right, I would hate to start again, if I was to I have been seriously considering a MF165 or a MF154-4 but I dont have the money to do it.

cheers
Scott

Return to “Tractors”