Field Marshall Blanks

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
FordsonMajor

Field Marshall Blanks

Post #1 by FordsonMajor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:38 am

G;day all, i was rootin' around in toolboxes the other day at the museum and i looked in the marshall and found a couple of blanks to fire em up with, just wondering if they have a shelt life, they have the caps over them still and theyve been in an air tight tin with some starting wick paper they seem quite sound just wondering apart from it not firing first tiem and giving it a double dose and blowing myself apart is their anything i should be worried about, i shook the cartridges a little and i can hear the poweder rattling about so they dont appear to be damp and clagged.

Ive never had any experience with marshalls so im a newbie in that regard, thanks all

Lindsay
Enfield Logic: Who cares if the Mauser can handle a stronger cartridge? While you're still working you're Mauser action to make up for you're miss, my 2nd round is already there.

Julian

Re: Field Marshall Blanks

Post #2 by Julian » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:05 am

FordsonMajor wrote:G;day all, i was rootin' around in toolboxes the other day at the museum and i looked in the marshall and found a couple of blanks to fire em up with, just wondering if they have a shelt life, they have the caps over them still and theyve been in an air tight tin with some starting wick paper they seem quite sound just wondering apart from it not firing first tiem and giving it a double dose and blowing myself apart is their anything i should be worried about, i shook the cartridges a little and i can hear the poweder rattling about so they dont appear to be damp and clagged.

Ive never had any experience with marshalls so im a newbie in that regard, thanks all

Lindsay

Starting cartridges last for ages, depending on storage conditions. The same as shotgun cartridges in that respect.

Give them a try, the worst that can happen is some sort of mis-fire with the things. If this happens I'd adopt a similar procedure to that of a shotgun - ie keep it pointing down range (or leave it in the breach in the Marshall) for about 30 seconds, after that it will be safe to handle.

Julian.

Topic author
FordsonMajor

Post #3 by FordsonMajor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks Julian, yeah i had thought of all those things, i just wanted to make sure, thank you for the reassurance. Have a nice day, btw are you watching the royal wedding?
Lindsay
Enfield Logic: Who cares if the Mauser can handle a stronger cartridge? While you're still working you're Mauser action to make up for you're miss, my 2nd round is already there.

Julian

Post #4 by Julian » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:11 am

FordsonMajor wrote:Thanks Julian, yeah i had thought of all those things, i just wanted to make sure, thank you for the reassurance. Have a nice day, btw are you watching the royal wedding?
Lindsay

Oh no, I've got some work to do on my 1941 Cat D4! Much more entertaining than the telly!

Julian.

Topic author
FordsonMajor

Post #5 by FordsonMajor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:23 am

Haha, yes definately, id rather be doing other thins but im not watching that rubbish,

Lindsay

Return to “Tractors”