Harvesters at Honiton

Discuss harvesters here

Topic author
martyn williams

Harvesters at Honiton

Post #1 by martyn williams » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm

This section has no items,so I will start it off.
The picture is of one of the restored harvesters at this event. I did not have time to reset the camera which would have captured a funny moment.As the harvester started its first run it blew a load of dust,chaff and other crap over a group of onlookers that stood too close to the rear of the machine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
martyn williams

Re: Harvesters at Honiton

Post #2 by martyn williams » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:52 pm

Honiton Hill rally 2006
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RichardJW~

Re: Harvesters at Honiton

Post #3 by RichardJW~ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:46 am

Looks like a Massey 780 Special to me.....with a Perkins L4 engine.
Back in the '70s through to early '80s father used to run one like it but with a 6cyl BMC Newage Petrol/TVO engine....there was/is a wooden con-rod that drives the knife on the header and if you got in fields that were too weedy it would snap.....The tool box behind the seat was an ideal passenger seat for a keen 'young' farmer to ride around but I recall how bloody dusty it seemed to be and used to come back home itching all over......also remember every couple of tankfuls father getting off the combine to clean the wasted corn off the manifold of the engine with his pocket knife

Found this pic on the hard-drive, it pre-dates the 780 special and is a 726 with bagger attachment. Father is at the wheel and I think it must have been taken either in '65 or '66

Return to “Harvesters”