How do I replace main lift shaft on Cat 17K grader?

Discuss graders here

Topic author
Elishas

How do I replace main lift shaft on Cat 17K grader?

Post #1 by Elishas » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Can anyone help with how to replace the main lift shaft on a Cat 17K grader? We are having trouble removing the existing damaged main lift shaft.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thank you!

innes
Flag: Great Britain

Re: How do I replace main lift shaft on Cat 17K grader?

Post #2 by innes » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:02 am

Elishas wrote:Can anyone help with how to replace the main lift shaft on a Cat 17K grader? We are having trouble removing the existing damaged main lift shaft.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thank you!

I've never heard of a 17K grader or of the term "main lift shaft",is it possible you have the model number wrong?
Do you you mean the main mold board (blade) lift rams?

Topic author
Elishas

Post #3 by Elishas » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:11 am

The manual that we have is No 12E Motor Grader for serial numbers 17K1 to 17K 1076.

And the store that sent out the replacement part has photocopied page 155 of the No 12E parts manual that is headed Blade Lift.

The grader hit a tree stump at high speed and the 'lift shaft' (as we have been calling it) was bent and now needs to be replaced. It is located from the front of the cabin and is about 1.2 metres long.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:14 am

Hi Elisha,

Please post pictures if you can this will help anybody on here to identify exactly which component you are talking about and give you advice.

Jeremy

ol Grump

Post #5 by ol Grump » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:38 pm

The way I read the Service Manual for the 12E grader, you pull the entire blade lift housing and shaft after taking off the lift arm. Also it states to remove two bolts holding the hydraulic pump but leave the lines connected. Then take the rear cover off. That exposes the bolts that the flange on the shaft bolts to. Remove the worm gear, remove the collar in front of the housing and slide the gear and shaft out of the rear of the housing.

pabear52

Post #6 by pabear52 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:50 am

Its odd that you bent the shaft, often the shear pin in the floor will go off first. I have had em break off a ball stud and one occasion strip the worm in the gearbox on the end of the shaft. You will find you will have a mess of oil all over the cabin floor so while you are at it, sparkle up your knocker box above and renew or recondition the dogs on the levers if they at a stage where they slip terribly. Well worth it my friend. also make sure your little slip clutch in front of the cabin is properly adjusted. We used to rotate the shaft around a bit periodically so it did not wear the worm all in the one place which ends up weakening it and cause it to fail. 12E.... still one of the very best final finish graders ever made! Just luv em.

Deas Plant

Post #7 by Deas Plant » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi, Innes.
The Cat 12E 17K series was the DowNunder-built equivalent of the 70D-71D series, manufactured by Cat Australia, in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. In fact, AND if my memory serves me rightly, Australia was the first country outside the U.S. to have Cat machines built locally - S8T Cat graders built under licence by a company named Steelweld, since swallowed up by Caterpillar. The last series of Cat 12E graders that we had DowNunder before the G seies series appeared here was the 17K, which followed the locally-built 21F series. I saw a whole ONE 'F' series Cat 112F grader but I never did see a Cat 12F grader DowNunder. I had to wait until Christmas 2008 in Bakersfield, Calif., to see my first F series Cat 12 grader.

Hi, Elisha.
Is this a DowNunder-built grader, out of Caterpillar, Melbourne?

It's been about 35 years but I think Ol' Grump has it pretty right. It might be useful to have some sort of lifting gear handy, especially when putting it all back together - or some friends with strong backs and arms AND weak minds. LOL. Maybe a few slabs of VB or whatever other 'lubricant' you prefer too.

When putting it back together, if you are using the same bull gear again, check for the least worn 1/3 of the gear and make sure the middle of that 1/3 section goes to the bottom where it will engage the worm drive pinion. To achieve this, you need to take note of where the keyways are on the shaft BEFORE you bolt the bull gear to it so that a keyway on the shaft lines up with the keyway in the lift arm. This will reduce the amount of slack in your blade lift linkage.

You can do the same thing with the other side lift gear by loosening the clamp bolts on the lift arm, removing the key, removing the inspection plug on top of the bull gear housing in front of the cab and rotating the gear to check for the least worn section. When you have selected the least worn section of the gear and have it at the top, mark the shaft or collar on top and turn the gear until the mark is at the bottom. Then line up your nearest keyway in the shaft with the keyway in the lift arm, replace the key and tighten the clamp bolts.

Hope this helps. Happy wrenching.
You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

innes

Post #8 by innes » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Deas Plant wrote:Hi, Innes.
The Cat 12E 17K series was the DowNunder-built equivalent of the 70D-71D series, manufactured by Cat Australia, in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. In fact, AND if my memory serves me rightly, Australia was the first country outside the U.S. to have Cat machines built locally - S8T Cat graders built under licence by a company named Steelweld, since swallowed up by Caterpillar. The last series of Cat 12E graders that we had DowNunder before the G seies series appeared here was the 17K, which followed the locally-built 21F series. I saw a whole ONE 'F' series Cat 112F grader but I never did see a Cat 12F grader DowNunder. I had to wait until Christmas 2008 in Bakersfield, Calif., to see my first F series Cat 12 grader.
Hi Deas,
Nice to see you on the forum, have missed your posts on other forums!!! often informative and always amusing .Thanks for the info (didnt know that when I got up this morning!) my grader model knowledge is very limited having only worked on 16G and 16H, and a little bit on 14s a long time ago.
Innes
Hi, Elisha.
Is this a DowNunder-built grader, out of Caterpillar, Melbourne?

It's been about 35 years but I think Ol' Grump has it pretty right. It might be useful to have some sort of lifting gear handy, especially when putting it all back together - or some friends with strong backs and arms AND weak minds. LOL. Maybe a few slabs of VB or whatever other 'lubricant' you prefer too.

When putting it back together, if you are using the same bull gear again, check for the least worn 1/3 of the gear and make sure the middle of that 1/3 section goes to the bottom where it will engage the worm drive pinion. To achieve this, you need to take note of where the keyways are on the shaft BEFORE you bolt the bull gear to it so that a keyway on the shaft lines up with the keyway in the lift arm. This will reduce the amount of slack in your blade lift linkage.

You can do the same thing with the other side lift gear by loosening the clamp bolts on the lift arm, removing the key, removing the inspection plug on top of the bull gear housing in front of the cab and rotating the gear to check for the least worn section. When you have selected the least worn section of the gear and have it at the top, mark the shaft or collar on top and turn the gear until the mark is at the bottom. Then line up your nearest keyway in the shaft with the keyway in the lift arm, replace the key and tighten the clamp bolts.

Hope this helps. Happy wrenching.

Deas Plant

Post #9 by Deas Plant » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi, Innes.
Thank you for your kind comments about my posts. Glad you learned something. Hopefully, others did too. I just cain't see any sense in gathering knowledge and experience for 50+ years and then taking it all to the grave. 'Sides, I don't consider that I 'own' the knowledge. I'm just a temporary custodian of it, with the responsibility to pass it on to those who need it.

If my aging grey matter is still working proper, then R. G. LeTourneau's first manufacturing facility outside of the mainland U.S. was at Rydalmere, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, during WW2, about 1943, I think. Guess some people musta considered Australia important, even if our governments haven't seemed to for a while now.

Just my 0.02. (The thoughts and opinions of this writer may not necessarily be those of the government of the Commonwealth of Australia or the governments of any of its member states.)

Would one of the 'other' forums where you enjoyed my posts have been HEF? If so, that's a long story.
You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

innes

Post #10 by innes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Deas Plant wrote:Hi, Innes.
Thank you for your kind comments about my posts. Glad you learned something. Hopefully, others did too. I just cain't see any sense in gathering knowledge and experience for 50+ years and then taking it all to the grave. 'Sides, I don't consider that I 'own' the knowledge. I'm just a temporary custodian of it, with the responsibility to pass it on to those who need it.

If my aging grey matter is still working proper, then R. G. LeTourneau's first manufacturing facility outside of the mainland U.S. was at Rydalmere, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, during WW2, about 1943, I think. Guess some people musta considered Australia important, even if our governments haven't seemed to for a while now.

Just my 0.02. (The thoughts and opinions of this writer may not necessarily be those of the government of the Commonwealth of Australia or the governments of any of its member states.)

Would one of the 'other' forums where you enjoyed my posts have been HEF? If so, that's a long story.

Hi Deas,
Yes HEF is one in particular,used to have lots of good info and experiences but now seems to be increasingly populated by people who think that everything is either "awesome" or "cool", also why people feel the need to announce things like new born babies on a heavy equipment forum is beyond me and one of the reasons its somewhat lost its appeal to me.
End of winge---Innes

Return to “Graders”