O&K G350 question

Discuss graders here

European A

Re: O&K G350 question

Post #11 by European A » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:44 am

Sorry for the poor quality. I think this picture is taken from the first G350 brochure. The RH300 is actually the NSM's shovel. Like in the RH300 brochure, in the images of this machine it was turned into red for commercial purposes. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IBH

Post #12 by IBH » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:11 pm

I can honestly say thats the first photo i've seen of NSM's RH300 not in NSM colours.

European A

Post #13 by European A » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 am

The RH300 silver brochure is built with pictures of the NSM unit turned into red. I wonder what system they used when photoshop did not exist...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IBH

Post #14 by IBH » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:39 pm

A pack of red felt tip pens and a steady hand?

alan627b

Post #15 by alan627b » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:28 pm

I saw one of these units here in Nebraska about 5 years ago. I believe all that's left of it now is the drive gear cases. Another one bites the dust.
Alan627b
Retro Grading, We Do Modern Jobs with Antique Machinery

argie
Flag: Wales

Post #16 by argie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Not too sure if this is right but I have just heard that the ex Miller G350 is sitting at Scottish Coals HQ in Alloa.
Paul

Dug Overburden

Post #17 by Dug Overburden » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Deas,

You mentioned the G350 pushes 660B's better than a D8H, thats a small tractor for such a large scraper. You need at least 700HP behind you to load one of those beast. In good conditions, a rubber tire machine will always outpush a track machine.
Deas Plant wrote:Hi, Renaultman.
Been there, dunn that, miserable sods wouldn't give me a T-shirt to prove it. 42 Tons operating weight with a rear-mounted ripper, Cummins 855 'donk', 20 foot blade, rigid frame, some air-over-hydraulic controls (different - not necessarily better, but 'different'.), would push-load a Cat 660B scraper better than a Cat D8H dozer and was a real glutton for work. I was at best comfortably busy keeping fill and haul roads in shape for 3 x Cat 660B scrapers, ripping the floor of the borrow pit for them, cleaning up after topsoil stripping, fishing out the odd bogged scraper and any other odd jobs they could find to throw at me. It was NOT a Cat grader but I enjoyed my time on it, mostly because of the sheer grunt of the beast, I think.

That was on a job constructing an earth-walled retention basin for treated effluent for sugar cane irrigation near Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia, in 1996. I don't know where the jigger is now but could possibly find out.

Deas Plant

Post #18 by Deas Plant » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi, Dug Overburden.
When needs must, necessity is the mother of invention, etc.. At the start of this particular job, the scrapers had arrived but the Kummagutsa D455A push dozer had not. Not being one to let grass grow under his feet, the formean decided to use the D8H to push-load the 660's to get some dirt moving around the site. It worked - in a limited fashion, which was all that anybody expected.

We got to try the G350 push-loading a couple of 660's at odd moments when the D455 was down for service, repairs or re-fuelling. It could load the 660's better than the D8H but it also had 110 extra donkeys and about 8 long tons more in weight.

I would have to disagree with your statement that a rubber-tired machine will always outpush a track machine in good conditions. IF both machines are standing on a surface such as concrete, solid. smooth rock, glass or any similar hard, smooth surface where the track machine's grouser can't sink and get a bite, then the rubber tires will have the edge.

How-wevver, on pretty much any surface where the track grousers can sink into it and get their best grip, hp for hp, a track machine will win almost every time. As a general rule of thumb, it is pretty commonly reckoned it will a take a wheeled tractor 1 1/2 times more powerful to pull the same load that a crawler will pull.

Way back in my (mis-spent) youth, I was running a 2T seires Cat D4, 36 hp, pulling two 14-disc one-way disc ploughs in tandem. The D4 could pull them quite happily in 4th gear, about 3.8 mph. The same farmer had an 80hp diesel wheel tractor with dual wheels on the rear driving wheels. It could pull those same plows at around 5 mph VERY comfortably - - - - - - until it came to a patch of sand. Then you had to lift both ploughs right out of the ground before the wheel tractor could pull them across that sand patch. If the ploughs were being pulled by the D4, when you came to that same sand patch, you simply changed down ONE gear and kept going.

Just my 0.02.
You have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Greasemonkey
Flag: Canada

Post #19 by Greasemonkey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:51 am

That's pretty cool. I think the first picture in the thread is of our old G350.

Ross

Post #20 by Ross » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:33 am

Never seen one in the flesh but Boy do they look OLD!

Greasemonkey wrote:That's pretty cool. I think the first picture in the thread is of our old G350.

Any good then Brian?

Return to “Graders”