Freezing energy bills

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
martyn williams

Freezing energy bills

Post #1 by martyn williams » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:37 pm

See the leader of the Labour party will try to freeze the cost of energy bills if elected. The energy companies have came back and said it would cause power cuts. That may happen anyway as the power companies are being told to run down coal fired power stations by the EU causing a shortfall in power generation to the grid. Uskmouth powerstation in Newport was rebuilt to be duel fuel, mainly burning gas, but recent drop in the price of coal means that it is running on coal again.
So if Milliband does become the next prime minister, energy companies could make it hard for him but saying that we need to ration power as what happened in the 1970's power cuts,. so he would get the blame We still have vast reserves of coal in the UK but are forced to import gas as the North sea production cannot supply our energy needs. Ed could try to return power generation to public ownership but that would be too costly now.Our main power companies are not run by UK companies :dizzy:
Seem to me that we are paying through the nose for every thing now because of the Tory government policy in the 1980's. ie selling off our major key companies.
Martyn

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Freezing energy bills

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Don't worry Martyn we will soon be at war along with the USA and France against Russia over Syria, so the Ruskies will turn off our gas pipeline :lol: we can start mining and burning coal again and stuff the EU and the lie of global conning err sorry warming. ;) :think:

Jeremy

widget
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by widget » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:48 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Don't worry Martyn we will soon be at war along with the USA and France against Russia over Syria, so the Ruskies will turn off our gas pipeline :lol: we can start mining and burning coal again and stuff the EU and the lie of global conning err sorry warming. ;) :think:

Jeremy

But wont we need the Russians to do our mining, :doh: as we have lost more than a generation of miners......and everyone from mining communities know, you cant learn it from a book.
I think we could be in a right FRACKING mess :roll:
I want to rust out not wear out

jcb4cx

Post #4 by jcb4cx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:37 pm

at least they wont keep striking unless their vodka supply is stopped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RJXP1tfSBM
every village has one , is yours missing you

bigkit

Post #5 by bigkit » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:11 pm

Complicated subject! :wtf: Nothing has prospered in Government hands but some things are best kept in state ownership for the common good (power, water, railways, roads) but things are never that simple! :(

As I've said before, governmants cant make a profit because then it looks like they can sell it cheaper and get castigated for it. On the other hand, when things have been profitable they take that profit and buy votes with it elsewhere, or set up a qwango or something instead of re-investing (royal mail a good example)! :doh:

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:35 am

bigkit wrote:Complicated subject! :wtf: Nothing has prospered in Government hands but some things are best kept in state ownership for the common good (power, water, railways, roads) but things are never that simple! :(

As I've said before, governmants cant make a profit because then it looks like they can sell it cheaper and get castigated for it. On the other hand, when things have been profitable they take that profit and buy votes with it elsewhere, or set up a qwango or something instead of re-investing (royal mail a good example)! :doh:

Thats the problem with government ownership, our MP' / ministers don't have the know how how to run it because most of them have no work / life experience linked to the relevent industry, on top of that you have the EU telling us what we can or can't do :dizzy:
This makes it very hard to come up with a solution that will work, ontop of that you have self interested parties manipulating things so they can make money out of a big con.Renewable energy is a good example
Take the railways for example, most of our companies are now owned by the Germans, DB Shenker and Arriva trains etc. You have smaller cowboy companies that run in amongst that,one company ignored alll the safety rules,it was kept quiet in the press,it could have led to a major incident. Nothing was done about it :dizzy:
On coal, we can't reopen up deep mines due to cost, they were left to flood and a lot of expensive machinery was left underground.We do have good reserves of coal that can be mines by open cast methods.
So its no easy fix, I think the political party system is now out of date,we just need the best people to look after our interests.This will never happen as they are controlled by faceless people who have their own agenda and have no interest whatsoever in the people of this country.
Very sad state of affairs :dizzy:
Martyn

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:30 am

Martyn and Clive I think you'll find its more like pure unadulterated greed on behalf of the uber rich who own the government and evil system that we cannot vote out............. in other words the uber rich own both Labour and the Tory party and the system is nicely fixed so that it stays that way, why do you think the power of the press is used to character assasinate politicians of minor groups like UKIP who have popularist policies if they might gain any real support.

I agree with you both that what has been sold off should not have been done so, we have been robbed because those utilities and other state owned possessions were the property of joe public :x
Besides any profit the government made from say the likes of what was BT went straight into government coffers; now we have a stupid evil sabre rattling government that is threatening Russia over Syria :roll: hows that for insanity then?

I suppose we could send our half an aircraft carrier to the Med with no aircraft :lol: at least we have the good old Battle of Britain fly by memorial to protect us :roll: you could not make it up.

Enough from me I must get off my soap box before I blow a gasket inside.

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #8 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi,
Who needs Milliband anyway :?: :?: :?:
Go on line and you'll find at least three deals freezing todays electricity prices till 2017 anyway. :? :? :lol: :lol:
Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:00 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi,
Go on line and you'll find at least three deals freezing todays electricity prices till 2017 anyway. :? :? :lol: :lol:
Fred

Correct Fred, frozen at extortionate prices too :x ; we need the utilities under government control not greedy money grabbing companies who pander to the share holders at everybody's expense.

Jeremy

jcb4cx

Post #10 by jcb4cx » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:59 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi,
Fred

Correct Fred, frozen at extortionate prices too :x ; we need the utilities under government control not greedy money grabbing companies who pander to the share holders at everybody's expense.

Jeremy

and governments are not :roll: :)
every village has one , is yours missing you

Return to “Off Topic”