Scottish Coal.

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
SRB
Flag: Great Britain

Scottish Coal.

Post #1 by SRB » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Heard a rumour last night, now official, Scottish Coal have called in the Liquidators:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-22225943

Lets hope they can get something sorted and the lads can keep working. (Hargreaves name has been mentioned)

SB
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

martinB50

Re: Scottish Coal.

Post #2 by martinB50 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:33 pm

And i thought the scottish coal industry was quite bouyant at the moment?..... they have made some massive investments in the last few years?

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Its all to do with markets, coal prices have dropped drastically. Hopefully a buyer will be found to maintain production.Hopefully it will then pick up.
Martyn

nick lamb

Post #4 by nick lamb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:59 pm

I agree Stu allthough i can't help getting suspicious of some of the motives.For instance some of these company's get tied into long contracts (10 years or so) and I'm sure they realise that after say 6 or 7 years or so their running costs inevietably will go up and surprise,surprise they can no longer offer the coal at the original price.The client won't pay anymore for the coal so.......bang......later on another coal company seem to see financial benefits in buying the bankrupt company and the whole process starts over again.So for the first few years the company is paying dividends to it's investors untill it becomes unprofitable and lets it go bust...again..and so on and so on.I wonder just how long production will actually stop at Scottish Coal before it starts over again and the workforce get a new paymaster.I just feel sorry for the subbies who get stiched up.
I still feel that coal has a future in the UK in the long run.

bob

Post #5 by bob » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:45 pm

We should be like Germany and build more coal power stations Germany are building12 new ones but if we did the lefties or greens or what ever they are called today would object

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/04/23/germany-to-open-six-more-coal-power-stations-in-2013/

Germany’s dash for coal continues apace. Following on the opening of two new coal power stations in 2012, six more are due to open this year, with a combined capacity of 5800MW, enough to provide 7% of Germany’s electricity needs.

Including the plants coming on stream this year, there are 12 coal fired stations due to open by 2020. Along with the two opened last year in Neurath and Boxberg, they will be capable of supplying 19% of the country’s power.

In addition, 27 gas fired stations are due on line, which should contribute a further 17% of Germany’s total electricity generation. (Based on 2011 statistics, total generation was 575 TwH).

It is worth noting that none of these coal or gas plants will be built with Carbon Capture & Storage (CCS), which is a legal requirement for coal generators in the UK, despite the fact that the technology does not yet exist on a commercial scale.

Ian Fletcher1970

Post #6 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:51 pm

If I am correct the UK under the NCB/British Coal had an experimental clean coal (fluidised bed combustion) pilot power station next to Grimethorpe Colliery in Yorkshire. It was a small version of future 'Clean Coal' power plants but was dismantled under the John Major regime of pit closures.
2 clean coal plants were earmarked to be built at West Burton in Nottinghamshire and Kingsnorth on the Medway Estuary, but never got off the ground.
It is shocking that the last new coal fired power station in the UK to be commissioned was Drax B in 1986/87
"When will the lights go out???"

nick lamb

Post #7 by nick lamb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:04 pm

bob wrote:We should be like Germany and build more coal power stations Germany are building12 new ones but if we did the lefties or greens or what ever they are called today would object

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/04/23/germany-to-open-six-more-coal-power-stations-in-2013/

Germany’s dash for coal continues apace. Following on the opening of two new coal power stations in 2012, six more are due to open this year, with a combined capacity of 5800MW, enough to provide 7% of Germany’s electricity needs.

Including the plants coming on stream this year, there are 12 coal fired stations due to open by 2020. Along with the two opened last year in Neurath and Boxberg, they will be capable of supplying 19% of the country’s power.

In addition, 27 gas fired stations are due on line, which should contribute a further 17% of Germany’s total electricity generation. (Based on 2011 statistics, total generation was 575 TwH). :gooodpost:

Well said Bob.

It is worth noting that none of these coal or gas plants will be built with Carbon Capture & Storage (CCS), which is a legal requirement for coal generators in the UK, despite the fact that the technology does not yet exist on a commercial scale.

nick lamb

Post #8 by nick lamb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:06 pm

not sure what happened with my last post,but I agree with Bob.

martyn williams

Post #9 by martyn williams » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:50 am

nick lamb wrote:
bob wrote:We should be like Germany and build more coal power stations Germany are building12 new ones but if we did the lefties or greens or what ever they are called today would object

In addition, 27 gas fired stations are due on line, which should contribute a further 17% of Germany’s total electricity generation. (Based on 2011 statistics, total generation was 575 TwH). :gooodpost:

Well said Bob.

Well said Bob
The people of the UK don't seem to realise that our bills are 12% higher due to the green " tax ". We have good coal reserves, and should tell the EU to sod off ! We have 20 windy whirleygigs on our mountain,only half of them are turning this morning.If they need more wind,there is a lot of that produced by our MP's. The land owners are getting £6,000 per day for those eyesores that blot our wonderfull hillsided :evil:
Martyn

bob

Post #10 by bob » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:58 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:
nick lamb wrote:
bob wrote:
Well said Bob
The people of the UK don't seem to realise that our bills are 12% higher due to the green " tax ". We have good coal reserves, and should tell the EU to sod off ! We have 20 windy whirleygigs on our mountain,only half of them are turning this morning.If they need more wind,there is a lot of that produced by our MP's. The land owners are getting £6,000 per day for those eyesores that blot our wonderfull hillsided :evil:
Martyn

I realized that 12% on electric bill was green tax so I thought instead of paying 12% I would claim so I had a few solar panels fitted on garage hope to get money back in 6 to 7years then hopefully profit unless labour next time they are in steal the money like they did my pension :thumbdown:

Return to “Off Topic”