Plant & Machinery Magazines

Talk about everything else here.

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Plant & Machinery Magazines

Post #51 by tctractors » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Happy New Year Martyn, and to all who visit this site, anyhow back to the CP&M mag, as already raised this Mag's inability to keep to the plot it's chosen is rather odd, on another forum site this mag was slated for all the new kit pages, I was asked by its "Man In Charge" G.B. Hope to send in something worth printing on any subject on old machinery, this I would gladly do, if they stopped printing all the new kit hand-outs, sadly I know many good Men who have already done this task, with very poor results, the article has ether had great lumps chopped from it making the script half baked???, or put on some shelf ( or bin ) never to see the light of day, then they have the cheek to print in the back pages, the " Next Month in CP&M will be " load of rubbish as they never stick to what they say will be in the following mag, the very first Mag- No'1 this was the start of this particular "Dream"
I hate to be blunt but if the Captain cannot steer his Ship ???
tctractors

tctractors

Post #52 by tctractors » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:01 pm

I know my thoughts are " just my thoughts " I would not like to lead anyone else down my path.
A Truck Mag I love to read every Month , does not even print the word BUS as the readers complain so much, it says Truck on the front and it sticks to the plot.
tctractor

Ps. Moaning complete.

martyn williams

Post #53 by martyn williams » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:12 pm

At least CMN gets a writeup next month :thumbs_up:
Happy new year to you Tony,hope to see you at an event soon.
Some people buy the Sun for the news content :lol: I think there is a bigger problem within our hobby,getting younger people interested in it.Most kids just play video games and don't want to get their hands dirty.If we are not carefull we will have only the old farts left.Look at the average age of you average tractor club.
We have got to attract the younger element,otherwise all thats left is a bunch of old guys and zimmer frames.Tony has made a valid point that has been taken onboard by Captain Peter.
Martyn

d4c24a

Post #54 by d4c24a » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:43 pm

do i qualify to be an old fart now i am 40 :lol:
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

martyn williams

Post #55 by martyn williams » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:54 pm

Not yet Graham,when you start dribbling and smelling of pee.You are then qualified.I did this year :lol:
Martyn

d4c24a

Post #56 by d4c24a » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:58 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:Not yet Graham,when you start dribbling and smelling of pee.You are then qualified.I did this year :lol:
Martyn

you mean like my brother does :lol:

thats for the photo :thumbs_up:
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

Neversweat

Post #57 by Neversweat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:10 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:Not yet Graham,when you start dribbling and smelling of pee.You are then qualified.I did this year :lol: Martyn

I thought he was talking about you when you were younger :D

tctractors

Post #58 by tctractors » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:12 pm

Martyn, how very true your post is, without the involvment, inclusion and encouragement of young people the future for things we now cherish will just just be old scrap Iron, my own son is only interested in Girls (they have to be "fit" ) not old and rusty, needing a new coat of paint, but I think touching up and servicing is within his daily hands on remit, anyhow I often have a few of his Mates in the house and try to encourage them to a few days graft with me, only to be told, the hours are no good or anything that would mean them getting plastered in crap might be a problem, so what is hidden in the folds of time, might not be what we want to behold,
I have great respect and due dignity for our past, and think sometimes the only way forward is to know about the past , experience they call it "the test first, the lesson after", I must apologise if I seem a bit "Whipped" but my wife beat me at the fastest pint drinking contest tonight.
tctractors

martyn williams

Post #59 by martyn williams » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Tony,dead right there mate.Lucky down here having Peter,Karl and Barry and the rest of the gang to keep us sane.
Had a junk email tonight asking me if I want a part of my body extended so I can make my wife moan.Emailed them back saying she is always pigging moaning.
Cheers
Martyn

peterffa

Post #60 by peterffa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi.

A few days ago someone said it was like Daniel entering the lions den, referring to me on this site.

I am not defending all that goes in CP&M, but just trying to explain a few things.

We sell in the region of 12,000 copies of CP&M every month, according to general publishing figures that gives CP&M around 36,000 readers a month.

From our recent reader survey we have people as young as 19 and readers of 90 years plus buying CP&M. So you can imagine keeping everyone happy is not an easy job.

Again from that survey Caterpillar came out on top as the favourite make, JCB came second and Bucyrus / RB came third. Readers wanted old machinery, classic machinery and some modern machinery but the greatest interest was in late vintage to late classic. Muckshifting, mining and quarrying were favourite activities.

As to what is happening in the industry today not many people know what new machines are currently available. I try not to include mini and midi excavators or small machinery, as again readers are interested in muck shifting, quarrying and mining so I try to include news on the big heavy-duty machines rarely seen by public eyes.

To fill a magazine every month and keep it interesting is a difficult job, you would not want to see a magazine full of cranes one month and full of diggers the next, a magazine has to be balanced. Yes I have material on hand from my predecessor but I cant just put it in, it has to fit in.

As to company archives, I have gained permission to use JCB archives and am currently talking to other OEMs.

Re the comments on muckshifters of the 1950s, 60, 70s and 80s, I cant use material if it is not sent in, so all of those of you who have stories and pictures please send them in, after all the magazine is for you the reader.

I take your comments on board and will adjust the magazine accordingly.

Peter.

Return to “Off Topic”