Plant & Machinery Magazines

Talk about everything else here.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Plant & Machinery Magazines

Post #71 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback Craig :thumbup: I do wish more people would comment, sometimes criticism is as good as praise because it highlights areas perhaps not previously considered, as for myself I generally try and pick up whatever classic plant stories I find to write about but this is 'hit and miss' and sometimes I never get round to fulfilling my obligations when I have showed interest in a piece of kit.
I guess its 'horses for courses' as they say but what does concern me is the crap quality of the paper the magazine is being now printed on; some people just like to keep old mags and the crap paper that is now being used will never stand the test of time, I loathe penny pinching for pities sake put the cover price up if you must but please don't ever cut back on the quality!

Jeremy

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #72 by XS650 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:20 am

Yes you are right about the paper , I notice a few of the old tractor mags have gone on the this ' newspaper' quality paper too, awful .

For some reason I feel I have to read every article when I buy a mag , and whereas my ' Classic Bike' mag ( excellent quality paper and photography and same price as CPM ) gets read cover to cover virtually on arrival . CPM lays unloved for weeks !

Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #73 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:21 am

XS650 wrote:Yes you are right about the paper , I notice a few of the old tractor mags have gone on the this ' newspaper' quality paper too, awful .

For some reason I feel I have to read every article when I buy a mag , and whereas my ' Classic Bike' mag ( excellent quality paper and photography and same price as CPM ) gets read cover to cover virtually on arrival . CPM lays unloved for weeks !

Craig

I used to pop in W.H. Smith's and have a general browse at the rags; I would often buy Classic Commercials although I never took out a subscription for it, when they switched to the 'toilet paper' I never bought another copy. :evil:

Back in the 80's there was a motorcycle rag called 'Which Bike' that was first class; it suddenly disappeared from the shelves and I never found out why although I suspect foul play as they generally published the truth which tended to hurt the manufacturers. :D

Jeremy

XS650

Post #74 by XS650 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:17 pm

Ah yes Which Bike , still got first issue in loft R090S V Z1000 I think !
Started by a very colourful and good journalist called Mark Williams who also started Bike magazine , the first bike mag to tell it like it was because he did tests with mates machines not factory demonstrators . But this did not help selling ad space with factory PR men !!
Mr Williams did some drug running from Wales and I distinctly remember him berating the then new Marina in print as absolutely useless for this as it would not corner , times were certainly different in early 70s !!
Old habits die hard and drug running caught up with him in Wales see -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/444145.stm

last line ' 'the only person to ever crash a Maserati in Radnorshire ''

But I digress .

Craig

Jeremy Rowland

Post #75 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:13 pm

Thanks Craig didn't he used to write an article in Which Bike called 'running out of road'? I always liked Colin Schiller another great contributor to Which Bike who told it like it was.

Anyway more feedback please on CP&M being printed on recycled toilet roll please. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Cx5

Post #76 by Cx5 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:14 pm

More feedback for CP&M
Its not a bad read, sometimes I think I will cancel it then the next issue has something really interesting. Company archive material is always fascinating as are the snaps out of the family photo album detailing the working life of some individuals. As for the new paper and format, well I cant even find my copy of that edition but not too bothered by the paper quality as long as the copy is worth the read.
So if I may suggest I would like to see more on construction companies past and present, obviously with a slant to the kit they use(d)
A feature on the Corby Iron and steel works with all the various pits and quarries that were used in the Welland valley and another go at getting Sundew correctly identified. The early days of North Sea gas pipeline work and surely someone must have the definitive story on Blackwood Hodge. A massive company but only remembered by a few ex employees keeping a Hodge web page going and very interesting too. Maybe the archive stuff was binned when it was taken over.
So all in all I'm a contented reader.
Michael

Jeremy Rowland

Post #77 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks Michael for the feedback; I think we all appreciate the archive photos of old kit and stories from old companies; sadly I suspect that much probably got binned or some never even existed in the first instance and many old hands have now completed their 'three score and ten' its best if you can talk with somebody who lived through the experience so you can get your facts right.

This is one of the reasons that I always try and encourage people working in the trade to take photos now and get them developed too as digital images can become corrupted; I often look back with regret myself at some of the things that I should have photographed but I guess that things were different then and people tended to want to laugh if you took photos of diggers or machinery much in the same way that train spotters get mocked.
Anyway take what photos you can now because one day in the not so distant future they too will become history and may form materials for magazines or books.

Jeremy

XS650

Post #78 by XS650 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:12 pm

So true Jeremy , I have been on sites for 40 years but even now feel shy of running out of the site office to take a photo of something interesting and when I was younger no way as I did not want to feel a geek in this macho world .

Craig

Cx5

Post #79 by Cx5 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:16 pm

On the subject of recording images, one of the best features in CP&M was about Terence Cuneo and his paintings that were commissioned by I believe Jack Olding of Caterpillar and then Vickers fame. This one seems freely available on the web and I use it as wallpaper for my iPad. Much better than the family pet.

chris73
Flag: Wales

Post #80 by chris73 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:38 pm

I feel this months issue will be the last one i ever buy. Bought it to read about the Broyt on the front cover only to find it's not even featured!
No longer a feature on models and only 50 pages long as opposed to earthmovers 100 plus.
Very disapointed.

Return to “Off Topic”