Plant & Machinery Magazines

Talk about everything else here.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Plant & Machinery Magazines

Post #81 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:21 pm

chris73 wrote:I feel this months issue will be the last one i ever buy. Bought it to read about the Broyt on the front cover only to find it's not even featured!
No longer a feature on models and only 50 pages long as opposed to earthmovers 100 plus.
Very disapointed.

Chris the Broyt article was on page eight, a four page article? :eh:

Please write to Stephen Wright directly at Kelsey publishing to moan about the magazine; perhaps if enough people take the trouble to do this then the magazine may re-gain its quality, it can't hurt to moan!

Jeremy

chris73
Flag: Wales

Post #82 by chris73 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Just checked and my copy starts on page nineteen and on page fifty! Even less impressed now!

essexpete

Post #83 by essexpete » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:31 pm

I get annoyed at the way all these mags are dated.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #84 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:37 am

chris73 wrote:Just checked and my copy starts on page nineteen and on page fifty! Even less impressed now!

Chris if I was you then I'd chuck it back at them and demand a full refund; to be fair this sounds more like some kind of printing error; it does happen and its obviously done on the 'cheap as possible' mode, sadly British industry never learns that its not always cheap 'n' cheerful that works out the best, generally I'd prefer to pay a little more and get good quality than pay cheap and get rubbish.

Jeremy

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #85 by modelman093 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:44 pm

Unfortunately everything is price driven at the expense of quality and service and it is becoming more and more difficult to buy quality at any price.
Chris73 mentions Earthmovers - I've taken it from the first edition and they do seem to have maintained their standards plus some good general interest article appealing not just to those in the trade.
Any one remember Muck Shifter?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #86 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:38 am

modelman093 wrote:Unfortunately everything is price driven at the expense of quality and service and it is becoming more and more difficult to buy quality at any price.
Chris73 mentions Earthmovers - I've taken it from the first edition and they do seem to have maintained their standards plus some good general interest article appealing not just to those in the trade.
Any one remember Muck Shifter?

Angus I think that Earthmovers is a very professional magazine with some excellent articles; you are very correct in what you say about quality it is failing miserably on many fronts with everything from chocolate to magazines all in the name of making more money for greedy shareholders, what it needs is some stiff competition then companies either improve their quality or disappear for good. Sadly the British never learn quality very well this harks back to the 'what happened to British Engineering' thread and we are sadly now copying the Americans with their 'shrink it and nobody will notice policy' once again evidence of gross greed and stupidity at work! :x

Chris I e-mailed Peter Love about the copy of the magazine that you purchased with half the pages missing; he said to phone Kelsey publishing and they will send you out a free copy, either way its really piss poor in my opinion that in 2016 we can't even print a magazine with all of the pages in it :roll:

Jeremy

XS650

Post #87 by XS650 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:01 am

I have heard of Muck Shifter magazine but have never seen a copy, real or internet !

Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

modelman093

Post #88 by modelman093 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:55 pm

Muck Shifter was a "trade only" mag published by a company called Morgan Grampian. When I joined Caterpillar's Sales and Service Dept based at the Glasgow Plant in the 1960s one of my first jobs was reading all the trade mags and cutting out anything that might be of interest to the powers that be in Peoria.
Fancy that - being paid to read plant mags!

Jeremy Rowland

Post #89 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:27 am

modelman093 wrote:Muck Shifter was a "trade only" mag published by a company called Morgan Grampian. When I joined Caterpillar's Sales and Service Dept based at the Glasgow Plant in the 1960s one of my first jobs was reading all the trade mags and cutting out anything that might be of interest to the powers that be in Peoria.
Fancy that - being paid to read plant mags!

Sounds like a cracking job to me! Know where there's any going? :D

Jeremy

Return to “Off Topic”