martyn williams

We will remember them

Post #1 by martyn williams » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:15 pm

[video]http://youtu.be/NkKEynoTwp8[/video]

usedjcbdave
Flag: Great Britain

Re: We will remember them

Post #2 by usedjcbdave » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Massive respect to all who fought and fell in the Two World Wars,never forgotten......

librarian62

Post #3 by librarian62 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:27 pm

where would we all be right now if it wasn't for them?
Thank you all from the son of US Army Air Corp Lt. Col. Russell Ronan-B-24 liberator pilot based out of London 1944-45. He made it home. He never did make it back to London to remember, and give thanks in his own way. He did have some fond memories of those days, when he was on liberty, that is.

Joes1989

Post #4 by Joes1989 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:02 pm

RIP the brave men that have lost their lives who fought for King and Country during World war one and World War 2.....and the brave men and women that have sadly lost there lives during the more recent conflicts!

I have to admit that ive always been fascinated with the battles during world war 1 and 2...but this year for some reason i nearly broke down in the cab during the 2 minutes silence today.....

RIP..........MAY WE NEVER FORGET THE SACRIFICE!

tctractors

Post #5 by tctractors » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Yes, I wonder how things would stand today without the efforts and sad loss of so many people who paid such a hard price so we could be free, sadly today in 2005 my father died at 11 am, he suffered burns to a 3rd of his body in 1943, but still managed to keep on fighting untill the end of WW2 with 6 years of active service logged from the start of the struggle to stay free.

13-11-22 to 11-11-05

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:49 am

I was listening to the Jeremy Vine show on radio two last week.Part of the show was taken up by the families of soldiers killed in action recently.Very moving accounts on how they heard that their loved ones were killed and how they cope with their loss.
I think people in this country are starting to reflect more on how we live our lives,we seem to be moving away from the greed culture generated in the Thatcher years. We need a rethink on how we do things such as how the banking system operates and how greedy those at the top of the banking establishment have destroyed our economy and how this has effected individuals.
Our fathers fought for freedom and to make better for future generations. People should look at our history and learn from mistakes made in the past.What we have is economic unrest, the same conditions that sparked of conflicts in the past.
Hope will will learn and start to put people first.

Martyn

modelman093

Post #7 by modelman093 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:06 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:I was listening to the Jeremy Vine show on radio two last week.Part of the show was taken up by the families of soldiers killed in action recently.Very moving accounts on how they heard that their loved ones were killed and how they cope with their loss.
I think people in this country are starting to reflect more on how we live our lives,we seem to be moving away from the greed culture generated in the Thatcher years. We need a rethink on how we do things such as how the banking system operates and how greedy those at the top of the banking establishment have destroyed our economy and how this has effected individuals.
Our fathers fought for freedom and to make better for future generations. People should look at our history and learn from mistakes made in the past.What we have is economic unrest, the same conditions that sparked of conflicts in the past.

Martyn

Martyn, agree with everything that you say but would add one thing. We are now going through a revolution every bit as radical as the Industrial Revolution of the past - the Internet Revolution that is affecting all our lives, and not necessarily for the long term good. The Amazon, Tesco-on-line and Ebay effect may well be making life easier and cheaper at the moment but may turn round to bite us when nothing is available locally. Look how far some rural communities have to drive to by fuel or a loaf of bread. During the last bad snow someone in my village wrote to the village magazine saying how lucky we are to still have a village shop. In fair weather the same person does a 22 mile round trip once a week to grocery shop and buy petrol at Tesco! Four garages within a 5 mile radius have either closed or stopped selling fuel within the last 3 years. It's interesting to see that Comet has in effect gone bust and is blaming it on the Internet - just what they did to small High Street electrical/white goods shops 10 or 15 years ago!
Not sure that it is just the bankers etc that have failed to learn from/appreciate the sacrifices made made by our parents/grandparents in the past - and I don't exclude myself.
A friend of mine in reflective (?alcohol assisted) mood is want to say that the greatest threats to civilisation as we know it are Al Qaeda, Premier League football, and Tesco - and not necessarily in that order!
Angus

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #8 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:55 am

Hi,
It has been an honour for me as a member of a male voice choir here in Wales, (The Land of Song), to sing at a British legion "Forces Day " celebration last Friday, and again at a concert last night. The proceeds of both go to support Ex Service Men and their famillys.
I am going this morning with the choir to march and sing at the local war memorial to honour those who didn't return, and privately give thanks for the safe return of a World War1 pilot known to me as Dad.
Fred

Lars-Gunnar
Flag: Sweden

Post #9 by Lars-Gunnar » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:26 am

Members of Great Britain, USA and Australia!

Wonderful lyric and great respect for what those men as gave their life as is the highest price one can give our humanity. I want to thank yours brother and friend for saving my life and from Adolf Hitler.
Forgive me if I have written something as makes you affected but I have a real sympathy.

Rest in pease.
Lars-Gunnar
AMD computers and Volvo trucks is best

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:28 pm

modelman093 wrote:
B100 LOADER wrote:I was listening to the Jeremy Vine show on radio two last week.Part of the show was taken up by the families of soldiers killed in action recently.Very moving accounts on how they heard that their loved ones were killed and how they cope with their loss.

Martyn

Martyn, agree with everything that you say but would add one thing. We are now going through a revolution every bit as radical as the Industrial Revolution of the past - the Internet Revolution that is affecting all our lives, and not necessarily for the long term good. The Amazon, Tesco-on-line and Ebay effect may well be making life easier and cheaper at the moment but may turn round to bite us when nothing is available locally. Look how far some rural communities have to drive to by fuel or a loaf of bread. During the last bad snow someone in my village wrote to the village magazine saying how lucky we are to still have a village shop. In fair weather the same person does a 22 mile round trip once a week to grocery shop and buy petrol at Tesco! Four garages within a 5 mile radius have either closed or stopped selling fuel within the last 3 years. It's interesting to see that Comet has in effect gone bust and is blaming it on the Internet - just what they did to small High Street electrical/white goods shops 10 or 15 years ago!
Not sure that it is just the bankers etc that have failed to learn from/appreciate the sacrifices made made by our parents/grandparents in the past - and I don't exclude myself.
A friend of mine in reflective (?alcohol assisted) mood is want to say that the greatest threats to civilisation as we know it are Al Qaeda, Premier League football, and Tesco - and not necessarily in that order!
Angus

I also think the UK has lost some of its identity,but, the little Wiltshire town of Wooten Bassett has retained some of the spirit that is lacking in other parts of the UK. Sometimes so called progress is not always good for the general well being of the population of the UK.
Going back to the 1960's , times may have not been that great material wise,but I think we were much more content with what we had.
The Welsh valleys had a good community spirit that has been lost over the years. The heavy industry is nearly all gone,the workers of those industries used to be able to walk to work, these days there is a lot more commuting to work, I do a 50 mile round trip,some people I know work in Swindon and Bristol.
There are a lot of changes going on in the world,the middle east for example. The Eurozone is in a right mess with its monitary problems. I honestly think that we need a rethink on how we do things and hope that we have learned from our past that has ended in some nasty conflicts and huge loss of life.
The internet is a great tool but there are some horrible people out there that use it for scams etc.
On a lighter note,I went down the barbers for a haircut yesterday,we sorted out the worlds problems in 45 minutes,perhaps the government should employ hairdressers and taxi drivers as advisors as the seem to have the answers :lol:
Martyn

Return to “Off Topic”