National Pride

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

National Pride

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:22 pm

Hello All
I watched the Remembrence Day Parade on TV. today, and I don't mind admitting I had to fight back a tear or two. Whether they were tears of pride or sorrow I dont know, maybe a bit of both.
I am a proud Welshman. but today I was just proud to be British!!!
Perhaps those among our young people, (thankfully a minority), who belong to "The Rent a Mob Army" or "The Work Shy World Owes Me a Living Brigade", will realise the hardship and sacrifice people have made for them, so that they can enjoy the "freedom" and "benefits" they do today.
I just missed National Service due to my age, and I have never had to stand up and be counted, but Dad was not so lucky.
He joined the Royal Flying Corps in 1917 and at 17 years of age gained his pilots wingsand became pilot officer. In 1918 when the RAF was formed he took the Air Force rank of Flight Lieutenant and was posted to France to the 100 Squadron. This was the first ever operational night squadron.
PLANE FACTS
The squadron was equiped with FE2b pusher aircraft, so called because they had a propeller bahind the wings which pushed them allong.
These were replaced by Handly Page O 400's which were more suited to the long distance night flights which they had to make. I still have all Dads training and active service flying logs.
The O 400's were powered by two RR Eagle Vlll 360 h.p. water cooled engines. They had 100 ft. wingspan, were 63 ft long and stood 22 ft. tall.
They had a payload of .75 ton and weighed in at over 6.5 tons gross. Top speed was 100 m.p.h and they climbed to 8,500 ft.
"And this only 14 years after the Wright Bros. made the first powered flight".
I have some of Dads photos. here, sorry about the quality but they are 96/7 years old.
Fred
img 100157.jpg
img 100156.jpg
img 100152.jpg
img 100151.jpg
img 100150.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DozerDave

Re: National Pride

Post #2 by DozerDave » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 pm

Hello Fowler Man. Many thanks sharing those photos. I have nothing but respect for your father and people like him. Your father's bravery is highly commendable. A true pioneer of early aircraft operations....wonderful stuff. I take my hat off to him.
Best Regards, Dave.

martyn williams

Re: National Pride

Post #3 by martyn williams » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Well said Fred, fantastic photos. I to found it moving .It took me back when I used to see my father marching proudly on the main street in Mountain Ash with his comrades.He passed away some seven years ago but time has not made it any easier as we were very close.
I also viewed the Centurion tank run that Karl Boston did in 2006 in Pontyclun.A very fitting memory to men and women that made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can be free.
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Off Topic”