Thoughts on forming a machinery club

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
martyn williams

Thoughts on forming a machinery club

Post #1 by martyn williams » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Hello all
Just would like some feedback on forming a new club.
It will be mainly to do with crawler tractors, working days,attending vintage vehicle events.clubs stands to generate income for the running of the club etc.
It would be UK based but open to membership in europe and possibly further afield.A quarterly magazine.
Just want to bounce a few ideas around and get the general feeling what people want.
Martyn
I think it could be also used to promote this website.Bringing its members closer together at these events.

Tracshovel
Flag: France

Re: Thoughts on forming a machinery club

Post #2 by Tracshovel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Whats wrong with the ACMOC or Vintage Excavator Trust? Better to support the established clubs by enlarging their reach with locally organized events rather than duplicating costs,organization, hassle or diluting those efforts already being made. These clubs already have resources which could be used for local support. They also accept other types of equipment than those which their name suggests.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:04 pm

Unless ACMOC GB CHAPTER 2, we have already been decertified as of last week) gets an 180 degree turn by Dec 31st from ACMOC USA.The club ( ACMOC Chapter 2) will not exist.The option is to reform a new club.We are nearly at that stage now and produce a first class quarterly the "LINK" magazine.It would open up a chance for people to visit ex ACMOC working events around the UK..We have 300 members at present.Would love to see CMN members join us,some of you have already visited our events.
This would have no impact on other clubs. We don't want to see us loose people so I think we need to prepare for a near seamless transition to a new club.
Just want your thoughts and observations.
Martyn

IANOZ

Post #4 by IANOZ » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi Martyn , you could count me in as a long range member ,if you will have me .ian.

sean

Post #5 by sean » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi martin,i can get realy angry with magazines, :doh: like classic plant and machinery olny seem intrested in brightly painted yellow cat dozers :doh: :doh: what makes a rope shovel work :doh: :doh: :doh: and a lot of stuff on new kit is creeping in now :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:.magazines need to get out of the shiny cat dozer mentality :dizzy:if your a member of the catterpillar club martin would It become a cat magazine?meeting other members would be good,sorry to rant on,just a few thoughts,sean :roll:

newjcb123uk

Post #6 by newjcb123uk » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:39 pm

:claphands: Nice Idea Martyn and a great way to vent your passion for the crawler loaders - However now for the big dark cloud of (possible) doom :doh: all to often with clubs we have the paracitic effect or better still - look up the story of the little red hen! - what I'm refering to is the village green bowing ball effect where members all trundle and surge along with great entheusasm and direct force but end up becoming wobbly at the end and leaving the founders to carry the club by themselves.

I certainly found this on the Yahoo clubs I started namely - JCB CLUB - HYMAC CLUB - PRIESTMAN CLUB - CLASSIC EARTHMOVERS CLUB - they all still exist but I personally dont take much to do with them because of the lack of input of members. I spent hours and hours scaning hundreds of photos and writing messages only for the majority of members just to take take take without the thought of sharing or contribiting themselves. This to be honest Pi##ed me well off and eventually I stoped adding material to the sites. CMN is the only club that I still share stuff with and the little acknowlegement I get makes the effort worth while - after all thats what interactive sites should be about - sharing and commenting and even more sharing.

I have a huge yard and plenty of classic machines in my own personal collection not to mention the scores of classic machines in the yard at anyone time for sale. It's my plan to display these machines and all my other memorabellia once a year in static and working formats and invite other entheusasts to participate and visit
this event.

I wish you good luck Martyn and am here to help if needed - However would put my tounge in cheek and tend to agree with Seans' comment of ( oh no not another shiny yellow CAT crawler :roll: ) Too much of the same thing can be boring! - unless you're planning on sending some Swedish Blondes to me of course :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A man reaps what he sows"

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #7 by Holger » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:36 am

Hey, where did you get that photo of my wife? :mrgreen:
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:13 pm

This is the way that I would see the new club.Run along the lines of the Caterpillar club is now.We organize many UK events.These include working days,visiting vintage rallies truck and military shows.A lot of GB Cat club members own machines from all the major plant manufacturers.Trawle throug postings on CMN and you will see what we do now.
At present we have a very good quarterly magazine.
See photos bellow of some events ,Mainly Caterpillar but that would change and incorperate all makes.Nearly all the machines shown are in current members ownership.
Photos taken at Welland,Ketton Carmarthen,Fross y Fran,SE Davies,
St Neots.
Hope this gives you a taste of what we do.
Will keep you updated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IANOZ

Post #9 by IANOZ » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi Martyn,If those photos of of the present {"EX"}club members machines are any thing to go by. You will be off to a good start.Its a shame that for some reason the counter on the photo views is NOT working As i would give you some idea of the level of interest ..Couple of questions for you .On ACMOC forum you said you run a IH Drott forum ,how do i find it . I take it once the new club is up and running the link magazine will not be limited to caterpillar as i {not having seen it} suppose it is now .. The main reason i joined ACMOC was for the magazine ,and basicly i was very disapointed in what i got. For a club that is supposed to be for cat s up to 1970 . There seems to be no interest in featuring the later D 2,4 6,7,8, etc The last issue was the worst yet with out one single feature on any tractor .. I saw you also said Chapter two was running its own forum ,will this be reinstated with the new club . I renewed my membership mainly so i could vote for john gaunt in the Bod election . .I take it a certain banned member here would be welcome on that forum ,and i could get to talk to him again and type his name with out it being deleted . Our english crawlers now out number the cats so i would welcome another forum where crawlers to all brands feature .., Out of interest i wonder if the best and holt familys are still part of the cat inc company . I google owners of cat inc and their names did not come up in the top 10 share holders list . If caterpillar inc gaurds the cat name so well i wonder why the chinnese get away with building D6D and hi track D6,.7 and 8 clone bulldozers.......................................................................................................................The only way is onward and upwards to the future. ian.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #10 by Holger » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Hello Ian!

IANOZ wrote:... for some reason the counter on the photo views is NOT working ...

It IS working. You have to click on the photos as they are only thumbnails in the posting above.

IANOZ wrote:I take it a certain banned member here would be welcome on that forum ,and i could get to talk to him again and type his name with out it being deleted

I know that this is a problem for you, maybe the biggest problem in the world, that you dont seem to be able to drop.
I think there are plenty of other places where you can talk to that person. Dont tell me that you dont know how to get in contact with that person somewhere else ...

You dont know what happened this summer. It is the worst thing that EVER can happen to you as a webmaster and forum-admin/-moderator.
That issue is closed and nothing will change that. So just drop it!
It is not SUCH a big deal for others than us who really HAD to deal with it!

Dammit!

:backto:
Some resources:
How-To

Return to “Off Topic”