as an excavator operator, have you ever dug up anything odd?

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
Localdiggers.co.uk

as an excavator operator, have you ever dug up anything odd?

Post #1 by Localdiggers.co.uk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:01 pm

has anyone got or heard any good stories of operators digging up unusual finds? im always finding old coins and bottles but thats about as good as it gets

d4c24a

Re: as an excavator operator, have you ever dug up anything odd?

Post #2 by d4c24a » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Localdiggers.co.uk wrote:has anyone got or heard any good stories of operators digging up unusual finds? im always finding old coins and bottles but thats about as good as it gets

when working in fallingbostel Germany on the British army camp ,we dug through WW2 trenches and found coins, bullets , shells, buttons ,Nazi helmets ,clothes etc etc ,the biggest bits were the tracks and guns from a Bren gun carrier ,the strangest were prisoner ID tags that were like a razor blade when a death occurred ,it was snapped in half and one half wedged between the front teeth
we did not get to keep anything as a man from the army museum was following us sifting through the dirt
http://www.fallingbostelmilitarymuseum. ... stalag.htm
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Hello Graham
Its a shame you cold not sneek out a momento from that job.An operator on a job at the gasworks in Exeter had a good fined,a nice thick cable,trouble was, 10,000 volts we still going through it.Caused an almighty flash :lol:
Martyn

Topic author
Localdiggers.co.uk

Post #4 by Localdiggers.co.uk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:57 pm

martyn, ive heard of corners of buckets being completely melted away after severing large cables, any truth in that? even better, any pics?

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:59 pm

We did not take any photos,we just ran like F. :lol:
Martyn

d4c24a

Post #6 by d4c24a » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Localdiggers.co.uk wrote:martyn, ive heard of corners of buckets being completely melted away after severing large cables, any truth in that? even better, any pics?

yes it does 11.000 volt cable suppying part of haslemere on a sunday lunch time
i was very popular with the housewives with half cooked sunday lunches :oops:
knowing less and less about more and more until pretty soon i will know almost nothing about practically everything

Topic author
Localdiggers.co.uk

Post #7 by Localdiggers.co.uk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:30 pm

d4c24a wrote:
Localdiggers.co.uk wrote:martyn, ive heard of corners of buckets being completely melted away after severing large cables, any truth in that? even better, any pics?

yes it does 11.000 volt cable suppying part of haslemere on a sunday lunch time
i was very popular with the housewives with half cooked sunday lunches :oops:

in my experience as long as 'her indoors' is happy no other woman matters... (shes reading over my shoulder)

IANOZ

Post #8 by IANOZ » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi Dan, Does a coffin count :o As a council plant operator i had the job of grave digging , The cemetry caretaker said dig here ,which i did ,unfortuneatly it was already occupied. Caretaker said OOPs ,we will try over here perhaps.One time My backhoe had been in the workshop for some maintainence First job was a grave digging one Drove out to the cemetry ,set up and dug the grave . Finish digging and went to park the machine out of the way. Only trouble was the steering arm was not tightened up and fell off . Big panic to get the fitters out so it was out of the way before the funeral party got there . Gave the fitters an ear full ,as it would have been real fun if it fell off on the drive out there . ian.

Topic author
Localdiggers.co.uk

Post #9 by Localdiggers.co.uk » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:20 am

a coffin is a hard one to beat ian!! my old man was running a site in south london years ago and they found a skull, had to close the site for 3 weeks while it was all investigated, turned out to be an ancient burial plot. cost the developer a lot of money

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #10 by Martyn Henley » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:58 am

Working on a new extension for the hospital, here in Herne Bay, cleared the top soil and footings marked, i set up on the line, first bucket full no problem, second dig and in the bucket was loads of mortar shells, all the little fins sticking out of the muck in the bucket :o .. never seen the banksman run so fast before, mind you i was not close behind ... :dizzy:
Turns out that the land was used for training the local home guard in the second world war, the mortars were training mortars, so the bomb disposal guys said... even so all 29 of them made a big bang when they did a controled explosion on the beach :lol:

Martyn :wave:

Return to “Off Topic”