D1015 WESTERN CHAMPION

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
martyn williams

D1015 WESTERN CHAMPION

Post #1 by martyn williams » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:13 pm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0bDuS_lIY3s
This locomotive I worked on and had a drive of it in the mid 1970s It has two V 12 MAYBACH MD655 engines and voith transmission.Horse power 2700 at 1500rpm.I also rode this loco up front from Swindon to Paddington it hit a speed of 105 mph pulling 400 ton passenger train.The maybach engines in my opinion are the best sounding engines ever built.
This video shows in in use on a preserved line.
This locomotive was built in 1961 at Swindon works.It is passed for mainline working and has been clocking up milage on the rail network this year.It is 109 ton,74 were built, some covered a million miles in service.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: D1015 WESTERN CHAMPION

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:05 am

Hi Martyn

Off comes the digger anorak and on comes the class 52 anorak :ugeek: Geek mode selected.
Yes the Class 52 Westerns happen to be my favourite locos and yes Ive seen all seven preserved machines and ridden behind all of them except D1048 Western Lady.
We have two of these locos D1013 Western Ranger and D1062 Western Courier on the Severn Valley Railway not so far from where I live. :thumbs_up:
Next time theres a Diesel Day there we could meet up.

Jeremy

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:21 am

Hello Jeremy.I was involved in saving D1062 from the torch in 1974 when I was an apprentice in Swindon works. A mate of mine and I started cleaning up this locomotive,the works manager got to know about it and we thought we were in deep doodoo.But he suppilied all the materials to paint this loco plus D818 for the 1975 open day.We were presented with a GWR plaque and the loco was purchased by the WLA.in 1981,I looked after D1023 Western Fusilier on the Paignton steam railway.Picture shows us at Swindon infront of D1062.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:37 am

What is the connection? Mark Parsons pictured, was one of the boys involved in the restoration of D1062. See first picture,I had last saw mark in 1978,in 2003 he had contacted me after seeing one of my machines in Classic Plant magazine.I had no idea he was also interested in Drotts and we were infact had parallel interests in the same type of machines.We met up again nearly 30 years later.Hows that for a reunion story?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #5 by Holger » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:50 am

Sooooo cool! :thumbs_up:
Great story!
Some resources:
How-To

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:12 pm

Glad you liked it Holger.
The fault on 37422 was a fractured fuel rail ( thats me in the cab doorway) I was not on duty but had an invite to ride this loco.The evening charter train was in danger of being cancelled,so I had asked some of the people who run this line if I could borrow a pipe off one of their preserved locomotives.They agreed,so I repaired 37422 and it made its trip.I had a free fish and chip supper and as much beer as I could drink.Great day out.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:31 pm

Hi Martyn,

Nice to hear your Western stories and thanks for posting the pics. It was a real shame that Swindon Works cut D818 Glory up for scrap when the works closed :cry: I visit the Midland Railway Centre at Butterly on a regular basis, D1048 Western Lady was based there until recently but now shes been moved and I dont know where to :?: I believe that she is owned by Pete Waterman and I know that she was constantly being worked on.
My other reason for visiting the MRC is that they have a Hymac 580C in good condition which is used to load coal onto the steam trains :) they also have some other plant preserved and a building full of old fork lift trucks which I have yet to get round because Ive never found it open :o I have been told this is because the owner of the building does not have enough voulenteers to man the place.
I do have a contact number and had thought about contacting CP&M to run an article on the centre?
However my life is hectic to say the least so time will tell on that one.
Think my railway enthusiasm started from my dad who before I was born used to be a steam engine driver on the LNER thats a story for another time.
Yes I do love "Maybach music" but trust me a 220 Cummins or a Detroit 2 stroke Diesel or Commer TS3 (like a Deltic) sound just as good.
All for now. :thumbs_up:

Jeremy

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:14 am

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MHTOgKaHYQU
Above link shows 37422 just after we overhauled it in 2003.
When I was serving my apprenticeship we had to work on all types of machinery.In 1975 BR still operated steam cranes. 12 ton lift on track repairs and a 75 ton Cowans Sheldon on brakedown and recovery.At Cardiff Cathays plant depot we had a RB10 face shovel, Hymac 580c and a few 933 and 951 traxcavators.We also had Coles KL 44s.One of my "tests" was to scrape bearings on a drive shaft fitted to a 12 ton steam crane.I have also worked on Pete Watermans class 47 in the 1990s
Jeremy,we will have to meet up some day.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi Martyn,

I will have to look up some pics I took of a track repair being undertaken at the MRC using a old BR diesel crane. The MRC also have a Jones KL crane, not sure of the model number but I will post a couple of pics on this forum, also an old Coles crane too!
I believe the SVR are to hold a special re-opening day next year around the spring time I will probably make the effort to attend.
Whilst I am definately a fan of the class 52 Western diesel hydraulics, cant say I am a train anorak but if the opportunity to snap a pic presents itself then I always will, so Im posting a pic of a class 66 that happened to be at rest in a siding near Lichfield.
I only have a dial up internet connection at the minute so I try to avoid "youtube" or trying to download large files for obvious reasons. :(
I will try and post more pics of all my interests on this forum to share with everybody. :)
If you have looked at Holgers Swedish site Maskinisten then you will have seen the 580C at the MRC and my mugshot :o
All for now.

Jeremy

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:59 pm

Been out to a few ballast train jobs.Earlier this year another mobile gang fitter failed to turn out to a loco in trouble at a big track renewal job.It delayed the work with a penalty of £250,000.woops.
Picture shows Diesel Hydraulic having its tyres reprofiled at Cardiff.This can be done in situ.But cardan shafts need to be disconnected.Diesel electrics can have a complete tyre reprofile done in 8 hours.The wheelsets are ultrasonic tested at the same time.Some of these locomotives have done a million miles.The average milage these days are 10,000 per month.

Return to “Off Topic”