spitfire pictures

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: spitfire pictures

Post #21 by topkit » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:48 pm

Well tomorrow is the big day i am off to Biggin Hill to savour the noise of 24 Merlins taking off, there should be 18 Spitfires and 6 Hurricaines leaving at around 13:00hrs commerarating the Battle Of Britains hardest fought day 75 years ago to the day. I am taking my camera as well as camcorder, it is going to be a truly awsome and emotional day for everyone, pics will follow i promise.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #22 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:56 am

topkit wrote:Well tomorrow is the big day i am off to Biggin Hill to savour the noise of 24 Merlins taking off, there should be 18 Spitfires and 6 Hurricaines leaving at around 13:00hrs commerarating the Battle Of Britains hardest fought day 75 years ago to the day. I am taking my camera as well as camcorder, it is going to be a truly awsome and emotional day for everyone, pics will follow i promise.

Lucky you David :thumbup: please post plenty of pics for those of us who are not fortunate enough to be there. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
topkit

Post #23 by topkit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 pm

Well as promised some picture of a day that will probably never be repeated again, less cloud would have been nicer. So just for those who didn't know it was today 75 years ago that several Dornier bombers flew in and attacked Biggin Hill it was also one of the hardest fought days over Kent during the Battle of Britain, Everyone was in awe of the sight as they flew out in groups of eight and on the return flights the last Spitfire in gave a low flypast wand finished it off with a victory roll to great cheers, So to see all of these fantastic planes in flight was a fantastic sight and tribute to the Few who gave so much so we could all be here now and enjoy our freedom. RIP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

liamkav

Post #24 by liamkav » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 pm

I was working up the road today and all i can say is there wasn't much work done in the early afternoon ;), was an incredible site and sound i had goose bumps!

Joes1989

Post #25 by Joes1989 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Well all i can say is i am incredibly jealous of both of you!!
Some amazing pics from today ive seen on facebook and twitter!

Last thursday 13 spits were flying around the country as part of the Adlertag (eagle day) anniversary and we had 2 TR9's (two seater MK9's used for training) and i believe they were two MK16's fly over derby were im working!
The sight and sound of these incredible aircraft brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye!
Although none of the four would have been around in the Battle of Britain it was a very fitting tribute!

Im actually going to Duxford on the 15th of Sept as 48 Spitfire and Hurricanes are flying around the South two celebrate Battle of Britain Day. Then on the 19th im back at Duxford for the Battle of Britain anniversary airshow so praying for atleast two days of nice weather!

for more info on were the 48 are flying visit

www.battleofbritainday.co.uk

Joe

Topic author
topkit

Post #26 by topkit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:51 pm

Joe, i have just had a look at the link you gave and am very pleased as it looks like several groups will fly directly over us i am in the line from Tunbridge Wells to Sevenoaks so will have a good view, last Saturday i had the BBMF spitfire and Hurricaine over, you could have set you watch to their timetable. Today was just superb and very special indeed, to think what happened where i was standing 75 years ago to the day made me reflect and think of everyone on that day some were just 20 years old, Some were lucky and lived to tell the story and some never made it back, The vetrans are very humble people too but to me they are absolute heros.

Joes1989

Post #27 by Joes1989 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:53 am

Yeah it's quite a sobering thought what their generation were willing to do for king/queen and country!
The BBMF are normally extremely accurate with there display times! Only once have I known one of them be late! But that was due to technical issues over coningsby where they are based!

I'm hoping that there's some flying near me this weekend as I need my merlin sound fix!

The 15th should be a very special day! I don't know the groupings of the aircraft but I believe it will be a fantastic sight! Would love to see all 48 together!

Topic author
topkit

Post #28 by topkit » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:54 pm

Well this weekend is the Shoreham Airshow which unfortunately i cannot attend but they have a fantastic line up including the Vulcan on Saturday and Sunday what an aircraft that is the noise is unbelievable, it's a crying shame that this is it's last year flying i just hope that someone comes up with the money to help keep it in the air. There is a mk1 Hurricane number R4118 at the show which is said to be one of the most Historic surviving Fighter planes from WW2 It flew out of Croydon in Surrey 49 sorties during the Battle Of Britain and shot down 5 enemy aircraft that is just jaw dropping when you stop and think about it if this plane could talk imagine the stories that it would tell.

Joes1989

Post #29 by Joes1989 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:49 pm

I bet your glad ypu couldnt attend this year now mate arent you?

Hurricane R4118 was flying at an event in Lincolnshire i went to a few weeks back and its absolutely stunning! I believe it is the only Hurricane that is flying now that actually fought in the Battle of Britain! Was saved from India in the 80's i believe.
Another litte fact for you about R4118 is that it actually shot down a friendly aircraft! It shot down a Whitley medium bomber after mistaking it for a german! Fortunately all the aircrew survived the incident!

Id just like to send my condolences to the families of the poor souls that lost their live outside Shoreham today!

May they all Rest in Peace!

Joe

Topic author
topkit

Post #30 by topkit » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Well the wonders of the internet Joe, I have just posted this on the wartime memories project it is a bit of closure for my family, After trying to get more information about a Hurricane that was shot down and crashed in the field next to my grandfathers house and his desperate attempts to get to the pilot which were in vain. I was given a lead with the pilots name so i have since found more info including a picture of him and some of his squadron. I will leave my post for you to read.

My late Grandfather witnessed F/O Ravenhills Hurricane circling round over the field next to his house on what my mother describes as a horrendous day of dog fighting with ME109'S over Ightham in Kent Within a few seconds the Hurricane plummeted to the ground and burst into flames my grandfather desperately tried to get to the pilot but was forced to give up as unexploded ammunition was going off from the planes machine guns. my grandfather was deeply upset by this but he was later told by the RAF that F/O Ravenhill had been killed in flight and the plane circling was doing so until the pilot slumped forwards which then caused the plane to fall from the sky. RIP. Malcolm Ravenhill is buried in City Road Cemetery, Sheffiled. His headstone reads "Malcolm Ravenhill, Flying Officer (229 Squadron) Killed in the Battle Of Britain, Sept 30th 1940 Aged 27 Years. "One Of The Gallant Few".

RIP Malcom Ravenhill. Lest we forget.

Return to “Off Topic”