spitfire pictures

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: spitfire pictures

Post #11 by topkit » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:26 pm

Joe it supposed to take place on 18th of August which was when the dog fights over Kent were at there height 75 years ago, I will keep you posted as I get more news. A website that you may like is called the Kent Spitfire its a good site and has a couple of videos so you can savour the Merlins fabulous sound.

Joes1989

Post #12 by Joes1989 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:40 am

Great job mate! I'll have a look at that website! You tubes another good one for spitfire videos!

Joes1989

Post #13 by Joes1989 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:45 am

My mistake, the second set of pics on here isn't AB910 of the BBMF it's the spirit of Kent Sputfire TA805

Topic author
topkit

Post #14 by topkit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:51 pm

Spirit of Kent is based at Biggin Hill about 12 miles from me and its always flying over us here, i believe my neighbour produced the new air frame for it when it was restored, we have had a couple of great overhead displays from it here on a Saturday afternoon, if i am working outside and i hear a merlin i usually drop all tools and start waiving frantically sometimes it works and you get a second low pass over, best one was the Lancaster a couple of years back on a friday evening it came in really low on its approach to Biggin Hill right over us the sound of four Merlins and the size of the plane such an impressive sight BBMF do such a magnificent job keeping those planes and sharing them with us can't really thank them enough. Have a look on youtube try searching 16 spitfires the clue is in the title it is hopefully what will be seen next month again.

Joes1989

Post #15 by Joes1989 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:24 am

I've seen that video about 50 times already! I never get tired of hearing it! I've never seen the Lancaster flying but been lucky enough to see the other working Lancaster taxi around its airfield! The only other functional Lancaster belongs to the Lincolnshire aviation museum at East Kirkby! I believe it's currently having new engines fitted so that it can once again take to the skies! That will be a momentous day!
Taxi rides on this aircraft are available for aroun £350 and tours inside it are £60ish I believe!

The Battle of Britain event I'm heading too in September has got confirmed 20 spits and four hurricanes already and I think they are working on getting more!

Agree with you whole heartedly on the BBMF! Such an important piece of history should never be forgotten!

Topic author
topkit

Post #16 by topkit » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:43 pm

3 passes over our place today by the same Spitfire a later version with the Rolls Royce Griffon engine i somehow doesn't sound right but there is no mistaking the planes shape even the wife said thats the Spitfire. :brravo:

Joes1989

Post #17 by Joes1989 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:56 am

I always think that! The Griffon sounds no where near as good as the Merlin!

Joes1989

Post #18 by Joes1989 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:50 pm

Well unfortunately one of Biggin Hill heritage hangars Spitfires,MK912 crash landed shortly after take off due to sudden loss of power! From the few pics ive seen it looked to be damaged quite badly! certainly wont be flying for a year or two now i wouldnt think!

Pilot suffered minor shoulder injury but survived thankgod!

Joe

Topic author
topkit

Post #19 by topkit » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:44 pm

Yep our neihbour told us the news on Saturday they are going to tell us more when they see us, but i am guessing he will be building a new Airframe for the Spit over the next few months. Another Spitfire a very rare Mk2 named the Black Horse as Lloyds bank staff collected the money to buy the Spitfire during the war was recovered in Somerset last month apparently it was streamed on the tinterweb instead of being on TV.

Joes1989

Post #20 by Joes1989 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:19 pm

I would imagine that the crashed spit will
Be a total rebuild now! The damage to the wings will probably be extensive too!!

Yeah the Blackhorse spitfire was streamed live on YouTube! The popular historian Dan Snow was covering it! I watched a bit of it but it wasn't very interesting! More shots of grass as the camera was moved around than anything else!
I'm not sure what is going to become of the black horse spit to be honest! Would love to see it rebuilt to be honest but it depends who has deep enough pockets!

I was lucky enough to see a mk16 spitfire flying at the weekend along with the sole surviving Hurricane that fought in the Battle of Britain!

Return to “Off Topic”