Trailer triangles

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Trailer triangles

Post #1 by hair bear » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi all, a question regarding triangles...
All trailers have to display red reflective triangles, if they are not mounted on a white surface ie a caravan, I thought they had to have a white border - or has that changed?
I just seem to see a lot of trailers around now with the triangle hidden in the light cluster.
Just wondering.
Rob.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Tillywolves

Re: Trailer triangles

Post #2 by Tillywolves » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:03 pm

http://uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/trailer-lighting-rules-regulations-and-requirements

Ensuring your trailer has the appropriate lighting is a legal requirement (The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989). This simple guide will help you to be within the current laws for use on the UK public highway.

All trailers must have fitted:

Two red sidelights.
Two red stoplights.
Two red reflective triangles.
An illuminated number plate.
Amber indicators (designed to flash between 60-120 times per minute).
Some form of letting the driver know trailer indicators are working correctly such as a buzzer or light.

All trailers built after September 30th 1990 also require:

White front reflectors.

If the trailer is more than 1.3m wide they also require:

At least one red fog lamp.

Larger trailers (1.6m and over) require additional features:

White front reflectors.
White front markers/lights.

Trailers Manufactured from October 2012 fitted with brakes require additional features:

Reverse light

Longer trailers (6m and over, excluding drawbar, but not boat trailers) require additional features:

Red/White side markers.

Arranging lights and reflectors:

Indicators should be a minimum of 350mm and a maximum of 1500mm from the ground.
Indicators should be a maximum of 400mm from the side of the trailer.
Indicators should be a minimum of 400mm apart.
Reflective rear triangles should be positioned above each indicator, a minimum of 350mm and a maximum of 900mm from the ground.
A single fog lamp should be mounted on the rear of the trailer, anywhere between the centre point and offside edge.
Two fog lamps must be separated and positioned at opposite sides of the rear of the trailer.
Fog lamps should be a minimum of 250mm and a maximum of 1000mm from the ground.
Fog lamps should be a minimum of 400mm apart.
There should be at least of 100mm of separation between the fog lights and the tail lights/indicators.

Topic author
hair bear

Post #3 by hair bear » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:35 am

I appreciate that those are the regs, but...
Go to a trailer centre and buy an ec marked 6' trailer board. Fit it to the trailer so the rear light units are centered equidistant, you discover the board is only suitable for a 5' trailer and the fog light sticks out about a foot to the right. Fit it so the board itself is centered and the lights are no longer equidistant leaving the rh rear light best part of 2' from the outer edge. Also the triangles are not above the lights.
My car hasn't a dash warning light or buzzer. It has the light on the dash but doesn't use it, as the socket is connected through the canbus the trailer can work the car's bulb fail system. Apparently as this system is type approved in Germany, it's acceptable in the UK. It doesn't help at all if you forget to plug the damn thing in though!
Where I was going with this was that I was under the impression that the triangles were specifically designed and placed to clearly define whatever you are following as a trailer and not a solo vehicle, (as the previous 'T' reflectors) the white border making them stand out. This doesn't appear to be the case anymore. Even some small trailers have the combined light/triangle unit.
It was more of an observational query I suppose.

Topic author
hair bear

Post #4 by hair bear » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Since I originally started this thread, I'm now seeing a lot of new trailers without triangles at all and HGVs without the 'Long vehicle' or orange/yellow rear markers.
Has there been a law change?

Return to “Off Topic”