Any more rain up there

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
martyn williams

Any more rain up there

Post #1 by martyn williams » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:22 pm

Just as the Mainline between Exeter and Taunton been relayed and upgraded ,the line in Dawlish is damaged by storms This stretch of line between Dawlish Warren and Dawlish has always been prone to damage over the years and dates back to the 1840's. I have been working in the Exeter area looking after the locos on that track renewal job. There has been a lot of crap spoken by MP's on TV and radio.They have no idea on the importance of that stretch of line, or how to fix it A concrete spraying machine that was on the Tiverton job is now going to be used on the Dawlish section.
About a mile up the line from this washed out track, very large granite bolders were placed a few years back to protect sea defences. I have been told that the Dawlish job may take two months to complete.The houses above the line are in a dangerous position and may collapse if the weather don't lay off.
I think that some sort of baffle needs to be placed just off the costline to deffuse the waves being formed before they get to the sea wall.Once the houses have been secured and a new retaining wall built it will not take long to relay the track.There are thousands of tons of ballast stored at Riverside yard Exeter with more enroute from the Mendips.
The Somerset levels have had nothing done to them for years, I repaired a Hymac 580 in that area in the early 1980's .This machine was used for drainage cleaning duties then.Have not seen anything in that area on my travells since then ! The Gwent levels were drained and culverts dredged a couple of years back. Drove in that area last week, no flooding there. Shame on all the governments for not keeping on top of this job. We, the taxpayer will be paying a lot more now for their poor management.
My heart goes out to the good people of Devon and Somerset,hope they get the help they deserve.
Martyn

68a

Re: Any more rain up there

Post #2 by 68a » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:49 pm

there is a baffle wall in this pic keeping things safe Martyn.Can't see it costing sill money either
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Look on the bright side I doubt there will be a hose pipe ban or a water shortage for the next three years :shock: :lol:
Funny how cut backs to the infrastructure suddenly turn around and bit you on the ar*e.

Jeremy

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:22 am

We had flodding problems in our road for years, it took over 300 emails, our local MP, I then threatened to dump a load of crap on the council chairmans office table, even got our local TV station involved.
Got a result, new culvert built and no more problems.It took FIVE years to get it done !
We have been battered for the last 24 hours with 80 mph winds and rain. Those poor people down there have been let down by their leaders.
Martyn

Return to “Off Topic”